Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Italian Job

• 13-06-2003 1:14pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I really wanted to hate this movie because i like the orignal so much.

So first off the only real resembalence to the orignal is that they steal gold using Mini's.

I hate Mark Walberg he's a terrible actor, so nothin new from him here, not a very beliveable theif at all...

The car bits in the movie are very disapointing, a few blatent ripoffs form the first movie and they dont even do them anywhere near as well!!

Funnyest bits in the move are the constant Napster referances and a cameo by the guy who invented Napster (Shawn somthin or other)

Over all its not bad, dont expect it to be a better or worse version of the orignal and you will probably enjoy it

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

I just refuse to see these re-hashed movies,

why not just make a movie that someone thought of themselves, I am sure there are a million and one scripts out there to use.

spoiling a classic...........its just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Rew
    a few blatent ripoffs form the first movie and they dont even do them anywhere near as well!!
    You need to watch that early ep of McGyver where he's in Hungary. Thought the end plot was a total ripoff of the Italian Job until I realised that they just took fifteen minutes of footage direct from the movie and slotted it into the episode. Lazy feckers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I wish McGyver was back on tv ... TV3 should show it or osmething, RTE just seem to refuse to show it again, though i did catch an old episode of Airwolf on Network2/The Den this morning. And what a good episode it was too....

I dont plan on going to the cinema to see this remake. From the clips of it ive seen they have messed it up a lot and made too much "Hollywood" of it .... Hollywood can never remake an old British film classic....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah i remember seeing that done a few times before, very funny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spock

did it end like the first one, because that was a truely unforgetable ending

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wont be watching, but I'm intrigued...whats it got to do with Italy, I understand its set in the USA....:confused:

This from http://us.imdb.com/CommentsShow?0317740
    Sure, no special effects were used and every stunt was real, but couldn't they have used some better computer technology on the actors...
    :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Heh, macguyer is on bravo winters, I bet you wish you had digital now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

McGyver was pure class. Great family viewing. I used love that series.

My dad even thinks "McGyver" was the golden age of TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I have to say that I think its just stupid to take a classic film and move the location to America just to save money when the title includes the name of the location and then try to pass it off as something new. I won't go to a cinema to see this, I'll wait for DVD release if I ever do see it.

Hollywood has lost its creativity and just resorted to remakes of old movies and TV shows not to mention Stan Lee & Co.
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hollywood is a business that interested in profit. Hence will only use proven ideas. TBH some of the per project stuff that comes out is just dire as well so maybe it's best to let them concentrate on style over substance ..

(the word style is not used in the French/Italian sense)

What is worse is the Made for TV movies that are a plot by plot remake of an older film - especially if you haven't seen the original in a while. I still haven't seen the original Maverick staring James Garner...

Last Man Standing is a very good example.
    Compare this to the way A Fist Full of Dollars was copied from Kirasaua...

Compare the action scenes from the lord of the rings to those from Star Wars or even compare the current Star Wars to the previous trilogy - direction and editing still matter - I remember the style of the new films - but the dusk scene with the two moons when Luke is at home and the night landing of the imperial shuttle still stand out.... - and whatever happened to films like twelve angry men - more or less done in a single room (no I don't think phonebox thingy really compares - won't know until it comes out on TV anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by mike65
    I wont be watching, but I'm intrigued...whats it got to do with Italy, I understand its set in the USA....:confused:

They pull a Gold robbery in Venice in the first few mins of the movie and its all got to do with that job hence the itilan job!

;)
    did it end like the first one, because that was a truely unforgetable ending

Nope nothin like the first one....

Like a said basr a few things they are diferant movies altogether so not really a remake of the first. Dont write it off becasue it has the same name as another movie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 PatLam

Hello

Well, I don't care about the movie itself, but I'll appreciate it because Jason Statham is in it. Yummie Man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

I didn't even know that they'd remade this.
    Nothing can compare to Michael Caine in his lil Mini Cooper!

There are however a few good remakes... eg Gone in 60 secs and Oceans Eleven. saw the originals and thought the remakes were much better!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

saw this on Saturday in NY - its not a remake - its in Italy for 10 mins or thereabouts, theres new minis in it, and its a robbery, to me that sounds like alot of movies, showcase a new car, rob something, in some fancy place. In fact its a good and enjoyable film - so folks don't slate it till you've seen it

Advertisement