Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI gave me the wrong rate?

Options
  • 12-03-2015 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

Got the grant for 13/14 and 14/15 years but found out when talking to friends that I should have been getting the special rate all that time. Contacted SUSI who confirmed my eligibility and told me they're conducting an internal review in the next week or so and said that if what I told them is correct (which it is) then I should have been getting the higher rate since 2013 and that my income could have been assessed incorrectly.

I'm fairly annoyed at the moment as I have had to live at home (where things are tight as is) off a shoestring budget since 2013 when I should have been getting an extra 1200 for the academic year, which would have made things a lot easier for me. My question is what can I do about this? And if/when it comes back that I was eligible the whole time, will any of it be back dated or will I just get the final 3 months of the year on the special rate?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd say wait and what SUSI say and if it's not satisfactory go to the ombudsman

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

I'd say wait and what SUSI say and if it's not satisfactory go to the ombudsman

The Ombudsman's Office is only for unfair treatment/discrimination during the grants process and not necessarily for appeals against a decision.

Ombudsman Website.
    The Ombudsman and officials from the Office have met with SUSI to discuss our role and to set out what we expect in terms of good public administration and good complaint handling. The Office will continue to liaise with SUSI in order to promote best administrative practice.

You can read the full statement here.

The OP would have to go through the full appeals process which can be found here.
    Unfortunately you cannot go straight to the Student Grants Appeals Board before the outcome of an appeal to SUSI has been decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Din2016

Hi, I was just wondering what happened in the end. I think a similar thing happened to me. However, I just finsihed my undergrad and am pursuing a masters, so I highly doubt that I will receive any money now.

Advertisement