Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine for cooking

Options
  • 04-03-2015 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if using non-alcoholic wine for cooking makes any difference to flavour? Any recommendations of same or do non-alcoholic versions tend to be cheap plonk?

Non-alcoholic aside is there a specific type of wine that is recommended for cooking, i.e. when cooking red meat would a rich and heavy Burgundy do better than a typical Cab Sav? Or is it much of a muchness ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup, you'd want to be using a very particular wine to have it come through in the cooking. Like the bubblegum-like flavour from the carbonic maceration in Beaujolais Nouveau.

If I don't want to open a bottle just for cooking, I'll either sub in red wine vinegar for a splash of red, or sherry for a drop of white.

For 'purest' recipies like a boeuf bourguignon that require a whole bottle, I'd go for the real thing though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Depends on what you want it for really. In something like a beef bourguignon you will really be tasting it. If it is really just a seasoning then you can probs substitute. I add a glass to risotto for instance as it gives a nice background acidity to my dish which can be pretty sweet (lots of peas) and cloying (parmasean, nom) sometimes. In that instance you could possibly sub in lemon juice, or some wine vinegar for the same effect. I've been using the Aldi white wine for €4 for a while now, and it does really well in this role.

Advertisement