Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a laptop for under €400?

• 13-11-2012 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a decent laptop that will be reliable for school?
    Can only afford something up to €400 ATM unfortunately!

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

this one should be fine for your needs and it's a 14 inch screen instead of the usual 15.6 which means it's slightly more portable if you're bringing it in a backback http://bit.ly/UgysnI
    if you're just using it for basic tasks there's no need to get a more expensive one with faster processors, etc.
    is 400 excluding your software budget? in any case I would suggest availing of the half price norton 360 offer and you'll get a complete 1 year antivirus for 36.99, you'll still be under 400 there. no point in getting a new laptop without an antivirus to protect it.

you'll need microsoft office as well, check ebay for cheap versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

14 inch is more portable but Celeron... aahh it's just so hard to justify existence of that bloody ever slow nemesis!

usable yeah but maybe for a year or max two

I would go for one of these:

15.6" €420 Acer 5749 Core i3 Laptop

€360 14" Asus X401A white (or pink or blue)
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5088003/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CLaptops+and+netbooks%7C14419039/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419039%7CLaptops%7C14419040.htm

this one is with Pentium at least which is faster than Celeron by 700MHZ.
    Celeron has one advantage tho -> virtualization technology. So if you need run Virtual Images (for example you run Windows XP inside Windows 7) then it's not possible to do with Pentium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

There are few free anti-virus softwares and they all do the same thing as the paid ones. Except don't slow down your computer.

for example
    http://free.avg.com/ie-en/homepage

BTW, remove all boatware (Asus comes with some 10-20 different little software and they load up sh*t and slow down the whole experience)

and use Disk cleanup and Defrag for a while.

Good luck.

ah, didn't see that second asus which is the same one i posted but with better specs for only 30 quid more, would definitely go for that one. might be a xmas present to meself!

the acer is 20 quid over the budget the OP has. even if he uses free antivirus, if he doesn't have a separate budget for software and needs something like MS office he'd want to stay well under budget to get that as well. you can get Office for 90 euro if you buy a laptop.

also, depends what you'll be studying. some laptops like that acer have a numeric keypad which people doing certain work will want, others like the asus don't. i prefer without the keypad because i like having the touchpad in the center and not off to the left like the laptops with keypads have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

sligoface wrote: »
    this one should be fine for your needs and it's a 14 inch screen instead of the usual 15.6 which means it's slightly more portable if you're bringing it in a backback http://bit.ly/UgysnI
    if you're just using it for basic tasks there's no need to get a more expensive one with faster processors, etc.
    is 400 excluding your software budget? in any case I would suggest availing of the half price norton 360 offer and you'll get a complete 1 year antivirus for 36.99, you'll still be under 400 there. no point in getting a new laptop without an antivirus to protect it.

you'll need microsoft office as well, check ebay for cheap versions.
    For someone who is broke I would recommend Avg free or Avast free, also libre office rather than buying microsoft office if he wants to go the legal way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Thanks everyone, got the ASUS X401A, now it has developed a fault :(

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Hi, a bit off topic but I am looking for a similar laptop, but I could stretch €500-€550.
    Having done some research I think should be getting an i5 (2.5/3.1ghz) and a basic graphics card, ram and hdd are cheap so not a priority.

iDann wrote: »

already? that's terrible, what's wrong with it? i see that all the latops from argos are excluded from the 30 day money back guarantee. can they do anything for you or are you stuck with it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

iDann wrote: »

What fault is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Jarren wrote: »
    What fault is it ?

Randomly turning off completely, even though it's fully charged, resulting in me losing all my project I was creating on Word :(

Do you know if Argos will give a replacement or refund, it's only been 2 weeks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement