Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster in freefall?

Options
  • 07-12-2007 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

Not an expert on the Red Hand, but tonights performance against the Ospreys was lamentable. Totally powder puff stuff, zero confidence and no discernible game plan. Forwards completely blown away, really sad to see the usually redoubtable ulster boys roll over and die. What's going on up there and what's the answer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Didn't see the Ospreys, but against Gloucester they were a joke. Conceeding 4 tries in little over 30 mins, plus another 6 tonight shows all the backbone of a jellyfish! They need a good kick up the arse i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,779 ✭✭✭✭phog

Yea, they seem to be in free fall alright, if they're not careful in the ML they will be lucky to make the HC next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

One thing I have noticed about Ulster recently is their inability to tackle.I know they also have other shortcomings but this one really sticks out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

I was just thinking,for the next six nations there is no reason for any ulster player to play,i mean they arent even needed on the bench,ie jackman no1 hooker and flannery no 2.trimble maybe sexton ahead of wallace ,just a thought,what do you think would be the consequences or lack of,if this was to happen?uproar?

cause lets be honest ulster are an embarisment at the moment and from what i can see no player is playing well,paddy walace has shown a bit,but not enough to be ahead of sexton for ireland imo,i feel sorry for the fans because they seem to have such passion for the sport imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

But lads, think about it - with connacht fairing decently in the magners (compared with previous outings) will it be that long before we see them in the HC?

and how long til the IRFU have no other option than to pump money into the club? what effects will this have on them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

çrash_000 wrote: »
    But lads, think about it - with connacht fairing decently in the magners (compared with previous outings) will it be that long before we see them in the HC?

and how long til the IRFU have no other option than to pump money into the club? what effects will this have on them?

pump money into who ulster or connaught?

Connaught will find it hard to attract decent players ,the effects it will have on them are that they will become better with better players,however it is not good fro irish rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

çrash_000 wrote: »

I think that's a really interesting point. If, hypothetically speaking, Connacht were to get on a par with, or start overhauling, Ulster in the Magners league, and on current form its not altogether inconceivable. It could really set the cat among the pigeons over the next few seasons. Now there's a headache the IRFU dont want....

I notice a thread on foreign players, are Ulster paying the price for an over reliance on imports in key positions over the years, or is it simply a case of no world class playmakers of the calibre of Humphries in pivotal positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Is Neil Best one of the players who's contract is nearly up? I;d like to see him move to Connacht and play alongside Johnny O'Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

its only fair connacht get the same funding as the other clubs.
    I mean how do they expect us to become much better if we're not given the same amount of money.It has to be said we do very well with the money we have

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Ulster's confidence is shot. They have some very good players in Neil Best, Paddy Wallace and Isaac Boss (I know alot of people don't rate them, but I think they're good). They need the fear and I think they'll turn it around before the ML finishes. Hopefully Connacht will have pulled away by then:D
    They need a thick fecker of a coach who won't take spineless performances like against Ospreys. It's an effort/confidence thing. No amount of tactics will help if opposing players are smashing through your tackles and raping you up front.

• Advertisement
Advertisement