Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Edinburgh

Options
  • 06-12-2007 2:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Should be a good game tomorrow. I think Leinster will make a good event of it, and hopefully put in a good score.

Team to play -
    Leinster: R Kearney; S Horgan, B O'Driscoll (capt), G D'Arcy, L Fitzgerald; F Contepomi, C Willis; O Le Roux, B Jackman, S Wright, L Cullen, M O'Kelly, S Keogh, K Gleeson, J Heaslip.
    Replacements: B Blaney, S Knoop, C Jowitt, S Jennings, C Keane, J Sexton, G Brown.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭shmaido

Paulw wrote: »
    Should be a good game tomorrow. I think Leinster will make a good event of it, and hopefully put in a good score.

Team to play -
    Leinster: R Kearney; S Horgan, B O'Driscoll (capt), G D'Arcy, L Fitzgerald; F Contepomi, C Willis; O Le Roux, B Jackman, S Wright, L Cullen, M O'Kelly, S Keogh, K Gleeson, J Heaslip.
    Replacements: B Blaney, S Knoop, C Jowitt, S Jennings, C Keane, J Sexton, G Brown.

anybody check to see if Cheika had a blind fold on last week or something, thats a crazy selection, willis was absolutely woeful

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Edinburgh team: B Cairns; A Turnbull, N De Luca, M Dey, J Houston; P Godman, M Blair (capt); A Jacobsen, R Ford, G Kerr, M Mustchin, B Gissing, R Reid, R Rennie, D Callam.
    Replacements: A Kelly, A Allori, C Hamilton, S Cross, B Meyer, D Blair, C MacRae.

Referee: Romain Poite (France)

I guess we will have to see if Cheika is having a moment of madness or genius. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭wesclark

can't go and have 2 30euro tickets.

Holler if you want them; 087 9289854.

I'm in Trinity all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

WILLIS is pony and trap,cant believe hes been picked again,needs to go back to the under 10's training to learn how to pass!the demolishment of edinburagh we all foresaw might not be so anymore,i have no doubts we will beat them but without that nice quick ball(that doesnt hit the backs in the face) we wont see that face nice flowing rugby with willis on the case.

i hope they give sexton a few minutes,looks a solid player,has a very nice boot,reminiscent of o'gara sometimes(his kicking for touch etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

With Whitaker out through injury, our options at scrum half are not all that great. We need to give guys like Willis some match time. He will improve.

You're not suggesting we treat him like Eddie O'Sullivan treats Paddy Wallace, are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

To be fair, I was at the game last week, and it was the worst weather I have ever watched a game in..

You should not judge any back on last week..

Lets hope weather is slightly better this week. Anyway, these two lads are our 9's for the season [and maybe beyond], and they both need games under their belt...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

"Cold and windy with heavy blustery showers of rain or hail, some thundery. The showers will become more scattered later this afternoon and this evening and winds will ease somewhat. Highest temperatures 6 to 9 degrees."

Its been a horrible day so far, lets hope it eases off. Don't fancy being out in the rain today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

does't look like rain outside, but sure is nippy, looking forward to it.

now to find somewhere tasty to eat beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

if that rain that hit the west earlier hits for this match it's going to be very very scrappy

and very very coooooooooold

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭phog

Bad result tonight for Leinster in view of letting Toulouse score a BP against them in the last match.

Why they opted for a penalty kick when Edinburgh were down to 14 men cost them, Leinster won most if not all of their lineouts so they should have opted to kick to the corner and go for a push over try. Edinburgh were down a forward at the time and a try must have been possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Seriously could Willis be any worse???? If Cheika had any sense he'd tell him to find a different sport because this one aint for him. Cost Leinster the bonus point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Oh dear, real curit's egg of a performance. Good first thirty, don't know what happened after that. Will rue not getting bonus point. Should BOD have played?

toomevara wrote: »
    Oh dear, real curit's egg of a performance. Good first thirty, don't know what happened after that. Will rue not getting bonus point. Should BOD have played?

I dunno spent a great deal of time at shouting at his own players [Horgan incident] and the opposition, in fairness Lucca kept him well wrapped up for the whole game

Stev_o wrote: »
    I dunno spent a great deal of time at shouting at his own players [Horgan incident] and the opposition, in fairness Lucca kept him well wrapped up for the whole game

Absolutely, seemed really tetchy and obviously carrying that injury. Spot on re: de Luca, he was for me the man of the match...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Missed opportunity for Leinster. Going for goal instead of going for the corner in the second half was a bad call. In the context of this group a bp was a must for Leinster tonight. Its going to be very uphill from here i feel. I don't really trust Leinster away from home in the HEC. If it wasn't for Godwins God awful kicking it could've been worse!

Missed opportunity for Leinster. Going for goal instead of going for the corner in the second half was a bad call. In the context of this group a bp was a must for Leinster tonight. Its going to be very uphill from here i feel. I don't really trust Leinster away from home in the HEC. If it wasn't for Godwins God awful kicking it could've been worse!

Nay, Edinburgh were never going to win though Leinster should have got the BP, agree with you about going for goal when the Scots were down to 14.

Leinster may surprise us all and get the BP next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

phog wrote: »
    Nay, Edinburgh were never going to win though Leinster should have got the BP, agree with you about going for goal when the Scots were down to 14.

Leinster may surprise us all and get the BP next week.

I hope they do. If Godwin kicked his missed chances over it would've made it very tight, although yeah Leinster never really looked in danger of loosing this. They need to go all out and try and get a bonus next week to keep up the pressure on Toulouse and Leicester though. It doesn't need me to say it, but the margins in this group are so tight that a BP will make a huge difference in the final reckonings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

this is the second time i think jackman has been robbed of the man of the match award,i really think he deserved it above contepomi,willis was better today but still ****,if they had brought chris keane on for the last 20 mins i honestly think we would have gotten the bonus point

just to add heaslip was immence,deserves call up i actually cant wait to see eddies next team

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Two people in my mind on the leinster side who deserved the MotM award:

Jackman
    Cullen

Jackman for his general field work, for decent scrummaging, and his lineout was a hell of a lot better than his average over the last year.

Cullen for the simple fact that he had a hand in everything. and I mean everything.

Its heartening to watch a Leinster performance where the best players on the field are forwards. Great performances from Jackman, Heaslip, Cullen, Gleeson et al. Now, if only that much vaunted centre partnership could click offensively I think Leinster could really be contenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

There goes the chances of getting out of the group, 8 points from 2 home games isn't good enough, and missing out on a Losing BP away to Toulouse has all but ended the HC for Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

You could see Contepomi roaring at Willis each time he passed to him signaling that the pass was droping too low as it reach him.

zabbo wrote: »
    There goes the chances of getting out of the group, 8 points from 2 home games isn't good enough, and missing out on a Losing BP away to Toulouse has all but ended the HC for Leinster.

It's not so much in missing out on the losing BP it was the way they allowed Toulouse win with a BP that was crazy and yes they should certainly got a winning BP last night. It will cost them yet.

Jackz wrote: »
    You could see Contepomi roaring at Willis each time he passed to him signaling that the pass was droping too low as it reach him.

Yeah, a foot to far in front most of the time and too low. Also too many steps from base of a ruck before the pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

And it took away some of his running options, steping off the foot of the recieving side because he had to turn and move in Willis's direction, most times he had to kick.

Well Leinster are 3rd in the group now with Leicester picking up the win today

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Cullen has been class this season, has to be part of Ireland's second row in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

hard to see leinster qualifying out of that group now, have to go to edinburgh as well, and they don't have the best away record there...

bleg wrote: »
    hard to see leinster qualifying out of that group now, have to go to edinburgh as well, and they don't have the best away record there...

I might be hopelessly optimistic here but I think Leinster will get out, just. I wouldn't worry about Edinburgh, Leinster have their measure. They're cussed and difficult but Leinster have the beating of them as long as the away gremlins don't strike again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Forgive me for being so pessimistic but I don't Leinster will have the beating of Toulouse or Leicester.

Advertisement