Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA grants from government

• 07-12-2007 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭

Ok so i realise this is on the Rugby forum,Ok so the government are going to be giving grants out to the amateur GAA players from the Donegal hurlers to the Cork ones and the footballers in between, but what about the amateur players playin in the AIL or for that matter the Eircom league. I know the GAA lads are more high profile and dont have a chance at being a professional but the AIL lads train 5 days a week usually (ok I know some may be on a bit of money but the majority aren't) so where are our grants?

BTW not begrugding the GAA players - personally think they deserve it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

Eircom League players get paid wages ranging from very poor to very good.

It's inter-county players getting paid grants to substitute for loss of earnings whilst the gaa make huge sums of money off the back of the games they play in.

I'm pretty sure the majority of AIL Div.1 players recieve some sort of game bonus whereas in Div.2-3 it happens a lot less.

I don't mind the players getting grants, I do however have an issue with the government providing a portion of it.

To play any amatuer sport one has a choice, why should the goverment subsidise those who are able to play at an elite level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good old Irish begrudgery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Putting preference on a sport over another also is ridiculuous, especially a highly developed one in the country. granted it is an amateur game, but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

çrash_000 wrote: »
    Putting preference on a sport over another also is ridiculuous, especially a highly developed one in the country. granted it is an amateur game, but still.

Lots of amateur sports people in this country already receive large grants that enable them to train full time - athletes, boxers, rowers, etc etc. They get grants that are a lot more than any GAA player will receive. I don't have any problem with it, I think the GAA players give a lot of people a lot of enjoyment, and give up a large part of their life to do it. Having said that, I don't think this scheme should be restricted to GAA players, all elite amateur sports players that have to put career/personal/family life on hold for their sport should be compensated for that.
    daveirl wrote: »

Agree 100%. Its not like we need to promote Irish horses any more - we already give breeders enough help by not charging them any tax :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

daveirl wrote: »

Yes, its a disgrace. This years Book of Estimates seems to giving the Horses something like 70m while monies for sports in disadvantaged area has been halved to around a million, had a link but can't find it now. Says it all really.

Advertisement