Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moved back to Ireland and questioning it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CB19135

As you would expect surely? and you get back to yours.

This point for me is more about the lack of enthusiasm to do pretty much anything! So so boring. Everyone lives their lives behind closed doors and there is no standard of living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

CB19135 wrote: »
    This point for me is more about the lack of enthusiasm to do pretty much anything! So so boring. Everyone lives their lives behind closed doors and there is no standard of living.

Rubbish, there is a good standard of living here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

wish i live in Australia Ireland has turned in to a kip to live in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

audi12 wrote: »
    wish i live in Australia Ireland has turned in to a kip to live in

Really?

I grew up here in the late 1970s and 80s when it was tough to live here.

Things are improving and nobody is stopping you from leaving, and Ireland is not a "kip".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Lived in Thailand for a few years, never missed Ireland one bit, apart from Christmas time. Had to come back gue to visa difficulties (stayed there on a tourist visa the whole time). Met a few guys who were doing visa runs for ten years as well.

Dud go to Australia once as well, a lovely country, and well organised.

• Advertisement

Really?

Things are improving and nobody is stopping you from leaving, and Ireland is not a "kip".

yes it is the crap roads crap weather and a nation obsessed with drink have i forgot anything oh ya politicians that act like five year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Geraldo

yes it is the crap roads crap weather and a nation obsessed with drink have i forgot anything oh ya politicians that act like five year olds

Crap roads? Does that really weigh on your mind?? Never mind whether it's true or not.

Why not try to move for a while so? Get it out of your system maybe. Maybe it'll work out or maybe it won't.

But if you have that negative an opinion it certainly won't lead to happiness here or anywhere else for that matter.

Geraldo wrote: »
    Crap roads? Does that really weigh on your mind?? Never mind whether it's true or not.

Why not try to move for a while so? Get it out of your system maybe. Maybe it'll work out or maybe it won't.

But if you have that negative an opinion it certainly won't lead to happiness here or anywhere else for that matter.

Your supposed to argue the points i made

Your supposed to argue the points i made

Read my earlier post. You'll find things to piss you off the world over if you look for them. But maybe people need to travel a good bit to come round to this.

Having said that, maybe things are a good bit more grim here outside the cities. I don't live rural so I can't say for certain on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If you've left a small Irish town blighted by ghost estates and zero opportunity then Ireland will be grim.

On the other hand if you're from a Irish town that's actually doing alright, has some opportunity and an easy standard of living it may provide a better quality of life than where you find yourself in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ireland's in trouble. And the main part of that trouble is a ruling class that behaves like an Ascendancy class, as if they're living on the country but not in it, cynical and cold. And the division that's growing between groups: private and public sector, employed and unemployed, city and country, left and right.

But there are other things about Ireland that you love - the people, the way you talk to the bus driver about literature and he'll produce the book he's reading and have an impassioned disagreement about it. The sheer beauty of the place - there's nowhere you can live that you can't find a place of beauty to walk within 20 minutes.

On the other hand, if you're really happy in Australia, and the life is well organised and happy, and your kids are happy, maybe it's not the time to move. And if your parents are growing older, is there any way to bring them over to live near you?

Ireland's in trouble.
    To be honest I've been seeing a lot trouble brewing in Perth, rents are falling, prices are dropping, state finances are in freefall, new stealth charges are sneaking in all the time, public services beginning to be curtailed, jobs going....
    If you were involved in mining you could see this coming but otherwise it's possibly going to be worse.
    Lots of Aussies I know are trying to figure out how to get an EU passport through their emigre grandparents etc...
    On the other hand my wife has recently been offered three jobs back in Ireland!
    I can't speak for the eastern states but there's a chill wind down under.

Really?

Ireland is shocking bad in comparison to other countries.. stuck in the dark ages

Ireland is shocking bad in comparison to other countries.. stuck in the dark ages

England now that is an example of a great country we could learn a lot

Its really bad

Geraldo wrote: »

Hard not to be negative in a negative place!

catbear wrote: »
    To be honest I've been seeing a lot trouble brewing in Perth, rents are falling, prices are dropping, state finances are in freefall, new stealth charges are sneaking in all the time, public services beginning to be curtailed, jobs going....
    If you were involved in mining you could see this coming but otherwise it's possibly going to be worse.
    Lots of Aussies I know are trying to figure out how to get an EU passport through their emigre grandparents etc...
    On the other hand my wife has recently been offered three jobs back in Ireland!
    I can't speak for the eastern states but there's a chill wind down under.

East coast is way better. Melbourne doesnt win most livable city in the world for no reason. Perth has nothing on the east coast cities.

East coast is way better. Melbourne doesnt win most livable city in the world for no reason. Perth has nothing on the east coast cities.
    Actually that same Economist survey has both Melbourne and Perth in the top ten international cities to live in!
    Other business surveys are less anglospheric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onmyway

Howayas ...Well.. just found this forum and read the thread... Im sitting here in Sydney ..cant go out because its too hot.!! .Let me give you a bit of background , if your interested Lol.... Im from Dublin, Im 55yrs lady with 3 kids 6 grandkids ...5 sisters 2 brothers and a whole heap of friends & relations ....came to Oz 2010 to follow my first love after he legged it in 1979....(another story) lol...In my opinion , Sydney is not a better place, just different ...still have all the problems with drugs/alcohol/mental health issues that we have at home . My husband has worked here for 34 yrs ..owns his business and home ...worked his ass off for it ...Now , we want to go home ..and we are in the process of getting there ...and it really annoys me to read all the negative remarks ..everyone has a different story to tell...the amount of people saying "Its a Kip" ' Stay where you are" ..Never underestimate homesickness/ isolation/ no sense of belonging... Yes , Iv sat at Opera house looking at the harbor bridge in awe ....and it really is a beautiful place ... but I, to be honest find it boring and superficial, all centered around the afternoon Barbie/beach, favourite topic of conversation is how much you paid for such n such .. . In bed by 9.30 cos everyone has to get up at 5/6 to get to work most , 6 days a week.. hour drive each way .. Yep Sun is lovely ...but try working in it ..or carrying your shopping/kids ..different story believe me lol.....just my opinion .and maybe a little harsh.. but there ya go, we cant wait to get home ....

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

onmyway wrote: »
    Howayas ...Well.. just found this forum and read the thread... Im sitting here in Sydney ..cant go out because its too hot.!! .Let me give you a bit of background , if your interested Lol.... Im from Dublin, Im 55yrs lady with 3 kids 6 grandkids ...5 sisters 2 brothers and a whole heap of friends & relations ....came to Oz 2010 to follow my first love after he legged it in 1979....(another story) lol...In my opinion , Sydney is not a better place, just different ...still have all the problems with drugs/alcohol/mental health issues that we have at home . My husband has worked here for 34 yrs ..owns his business and home ...worked his ass off for it ...Now , we want to go home ..and we are in the process of getting there ...and it really annoys me to read all the negative remarks ..everyone has a different story to tell...the amount of people saying "Its a Kip" ' Stay where you are" ..Never underestimate homesickness/ isolation/ no sense of belonging... Yes , Iv sat at Opera house looking at the harbor bridge in awe ....and it really is a beautiful place ... but I, to be honest find it boring and superficial, all centered around the afternoon Barbie/beach, favourite topic of conversation is how much you paid for such n such .. . In bed by 9.30 cos everyone has to get up at 5/6 to get to work most , 6 days a week.. hour drive each way .. Yep Sun is lovely ...but try working in it ..or carrying your shopping/kids ..different story believe me lol.....just my opinion .and maybe a little harsh.. but there ya go, we cant wait to get home ....

The fact is you can convince yourself that any decision you make is the right one if you tell yourself the right things. Moving away from Ireland, back to Ireland, anywhere.

I do agree that everyone has to do what's best for them at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Pfft, after 5 years you still find Sydney too hot? Try Brisbane you wimp :)

35 degrees here today. Stupid temp for mid March.

Lol...so iv heard ... its my age I suppose ......

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

I came back 3 weeks ago myself after been away for 3 years. Came back to go back to college. I know it's only been 3 weeks but finding it extremely hard to settle back in. I'm restless and frustrated and to be honest a little depressed.

As you said it's so grim here compared to Oz. I'm looking for work at the moment so hopefully I get something quick and get into a routine.

Everything is such a rip off here. Don't get me started on car insurance. I'll definitely be leaving again after I'm finished college in 2 years.

Hope you settle back in.

I came back 3 weeks ago myself after been away for 3 years. Came back to go back to college. I know it's only been 3 weeks but finding it extremely hard to settle back in. I'm restless and frustrated and to be honest a little depressed.

As you said it's so grim here compared to Oz. I'm looking for work at the moment so hopefully I get something quick and get into a routine.

Everything is such a rip off here. Don't get me started on car insurance. I'll definitely be leaving again after I'm finished college in 2 years.

Hope you settle back in.

What do you find so grim? It can't just be weather surely? Do you live very rural?

@onmyway
    I share a good few of your feelings about Australia, I'm not a morning person and find it really dispiriting when all my aussie colleague start heading home for bed just as I feel like the evening is just starting.
    There are kips neighbourhood in Aussie cities and there's kip towns too, we even had a thread about that topic a while back.
    There are kiptowns in Ireland too but there are good places too.

Actually that same Economist survey has both Melbourne and Perth in the top ten international cities to live in!
    Other business surveys are less anglospheric.

I know that. But melbourne is always #1. I spent years living in both and there is no comparison.

Id like to hear your opinion after uve spent 3 months at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

seachto7 wrote: »
    Rural Ireland is f*cked if you're looking for a good professional job.
    In fairness, rural anywhere in the world is f*cked if you are looking for a good professional job. Be realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Well if you have not experienced living somewhere else.for a long period of time then you wouldnt truly understand all thats on offer in other countries as a resident over whats available in Ireland.

So you are basically saying that people that didnt make a long term move cannot comment on whether they are happy or not rearing a family in Ireland!

Wow!

I am not sure whether it is arrogance or a massive chip on your shoulder that you have developed since you went to wherever you went to.

Let me repeat what I wrote in my original post that you latched on to....

I am not happy with some of the decisions of the government but it is incorrect to say that it is totally corrupt. There are lots of positives to living in Ireland, I for one am happy to be still living and rearing a family here.

Where did I even attempt to compare living in other countries to Ireland? I made a comment on the level of corruption and the positives in Ireland from how I see them. I have had 2 very good job offers in the U.S. but I chose to stay in Ireland in good jobs but maybe not as good as I would have had in the U.S. Deal with it, some of us make different choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

2wrq5gg.jpg

It was a nice day to day so off myself and my dog went for a drive. A couple of hours down the road and I ended up here. I live in Cork city and most of the scenery from Cork to there was pretty amazing.

I understand those that are saying they are finding it hard to settle back in Ireland. Everything is bigger and sunnier in Aus and it will take some time to readjust. I even understand why some would rather live in Aus over Ireland. However to say Ireland is a kip is completely over the top and I find it hard to take those comments seriously. We live in a beautiful country.

I also find it hard to take seriously when people say there is nothing to do here. Maybe in Rural Ireland. But live near Dublin, Cork , Galway and there is always something to do. I know in Cork there is always some kind of festival on.

I know the weather here isn't great. Especially compared to Australia. But I find its better to embrace than avoid it. Summers are pleasant here, it doesn't get hot (the heat isn't for me) And personally there is nothing I like more than going for a walk on an October/December morning when the sun is shining and the air is cool and crisp. Also there is something comforting about coming inside from the miserable wet weather to nice warm fire.

As for politics, I can't argue with that. I hate having to pay so much tax, for a debt that has nothing to do with me. But then again Aus has its problems too, Tony Abbott for one.

You will find good and bad in every country. You can choose to focus on the negative and you will find it. Ireland might be lacking a lot but its filled with a rich history and culture you won't find in Australia. We have a beautiful country with a generally laid back attitude. And the majority of people here are great.

My advice to those who have just returned, take some time to visit Ireland as tourist. Travel around the country a bit and see it from a different perspective.

For what it's worth I worked outdoors for over a decade in ireland and the weather isn't as bad as it appears if you're sitting inside looking out.

The grey winter does get to me but so did four months without rain or a cloud in the sky in Australia.

Id like to hear your opinion after uve spent 3 months at home!

After living in Ireland (Dublin) for 40 yrs , and returning once , sometimes twice every year since moving to Australia ..Think I know what to expect!.....All im saying is, it takes a lot more to make a heart happy than the sun/beach....different strokes for different folks......

jimd2 wrote: »
    So you are basically saying that people that didnt make a long term move cannot comment on whether they are happy or not rearing a family in Ireland!

Wow!

I am not sure whether it is arrogance or a massive chip on your shoulder that you have developed since you went to wherever you went to.

Let me repeat what I wrote in my original post that you latched on to....

I am not happy with some of the decisions of the government but it is incorrect to say that it is totally corrupt. There are lots of positives to living in Ireland, I for one am happy to be still living and rearing a family here.

Where did I even attempt to compare living in other countries to Ireland? I made a comment on the level of corruption and the positives in Ireland from how I see them. I have had 2 very good job offers in the U.S. but I chose to stay in Ireland in good jobs but maybe not as good as I would have had in the U.S. Deal with it, some of us make different choices.

Wow you seem really angry! Maybe you should move ha ha. Of course anyone who lives in ireland can have an opinion on ireland. But the original poster lived away for years and experienced life in another country full time & is comparing both lives... thats all i was referring to. Different circumstances! Try not to be so sensitive ha ha. I have no chip as i have 2 passports so can leave whenever i want!

After living in Ireland (Dublin) for 40 yrs , and returning once , sometimes twice every year since moving to Australia ..Think I know what to expect!.....All im saying is, it takes a lot more to make a heart happy than the sun/beach....different strokes for different folks......

Thats exaclty what I thought! I visited home every year.. sometimes twice also!
    But yes of course all down to individual :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

2wrq5gg.jpg

I know the weather here isn't great.

Isn't great ? - That's the understatement of the century. You get muslim weather in Ireland - Sometimes it's Sunni, but usually it's Shi' ite !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Long Gone wrote: »
    ... You get muslim weather in Ireland - Sometimes it's Sunni, but usually it's Shi' ite !
    that comment is dragging the discussion down but I have to admit I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Wow you seem really angry! Maybe you should move ha ha. Of course anyone who lives in ireland can have an opinion on ireland. But the original poster lived away for years and experienced life in another country full time & is comparing both lives... thats all i was referring to. Different circumstances! Try not to be so sensitive ha ha. I have no chip as i have 2 passports so can leave whenever i want!

Not angry, I just just couldn't believe how you latched on to me basically saying I cannot comment on my life here.

Just to let you know as you seem concerned we have no interest in moving at the moment as we are living in a nice area, both have decent jobs and are mortgage free ha ha. If our children move abroad we may go for extended holidays then ha ha.

Regarding your two passports, I couldn't care less ha ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

So are your family all in Ireland? You see I could not imagine living here without my children, although as they get older I know (hope) they will move out and get lives of their own, but, I can't imagine me moving away from them iykwim.

I am finding things very different to you. I have lovely friends, not superficial at all, we never discuss house prices or anything like that. We sit in the backyard until 11pm drinking wine while our kids play in the lovely warm evenings.

I also don't know anyone who works 6 days a week, but that said I know mostly professional people so I am not sure how many days a week tradies work, maybe they do work 6.

I hope you are happy back in Ireland, being homesick is terrible, and there really is no real cure apart from just going home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Isn't great ? - That's the understatement of the century. You get muslim weather in Ireland - Sometimes it's Sunni, but usually it's Shi' ite !

Great joke! But not altogether true. In Dublin and on the east coast generally, the weather is normally beautiful in the morning; if it's going to rain it does so in the afternoon, but even then it's almost always "cith is dealláin" - showers interspersed with sunshine.

In Galway they live in the Land of Mists, it rains an awful lot all right.

• Advertisement

jimd2 wrote: »
    Not angry, I just just couldn't believe how you latched on to me basically saying I cannot comment on my life here.

Just to let you know as you seem concerned we have no interest in moving at the moment as we are living in a nice area, both have decent jobs and are mortgage free ha ha. If our children move abroad we may go for extended holidays then ha ha.

Regarding your two passports, I couldn't care less ha ha.

You sound really really silly.

So are your family all in Ireland? You see I could not imagine living here without my children, although as they get older I know (hope) they will move out and get lives of their own, but, I can't imagine me moving away from them iykwim.

I am finding things very different to you. I have lovely friends, not superficial at all, we never discuss house prices or anything like that. We sit in the backyard until 11pm drinking wine while our kids play in the lovely warm evenings.

I also don't know anyone who works 6 days a week, but that said I know mostly professional people so I am not sure how many days a week tradies work, maybe they do work 6.

I hope you are happy back in Ireland, being homesick is terrible, and there really is no real cure apart from just going home.

Sounds lovely :-)
    I know what you mean... i moved home coz in my head i missed it. But unfortunately for me the reality was not what i expected & i just think my life is better for me in Aus. I dont complain about it here... i do just make the most of it but i will be moving back to melbourne in october. I dont superficial friends either & never once have I mentioned house prices etc. Have to be wherever u are happy...

It's worthy of a pros and cons list.

Weather is a major con for Australia although a good summer in Ireland is heaven.

I remember last summer in Ireland - It was on a Tuesday.....

This is a really great thread - One of the best I've seen on boards.ie in a long time.

Oh mother dear, I'm over here, I never will come back

What keeps me here is the rake of beer, the women, and the crack.....! .:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Sounds lovely :-)
    I know what you mean... i moved home coz in my head i missed it. But unfortunately for me the reality was not what i expected & i just think my life is better for me in Aus. I dont complain about it here... i do just make the most of it but i will be moving back to melbourne in october. I dont superficial friends either & never once have I mentioned house prices etc. Have to be wherever u are happy...

every one of your 31 posts are in this thread going on about how much better it is in Melbourne and that the only thing going for Ireland is Penneys haha. I find it odd, that you say in your 6 years away, you came home every year, and sometimes twice, yet you have 2 passports, keep saying how you are going back, but still havent gone. If it is better there for you why not go now? Why suffer being miserable here when you dont want to be in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

acb wrote: »
    As the title says...we moved home 4 weeks ago yday after being in Australia 2.5 years and while its great seeing everyone, I think Id rather have stayed. We were in Mornington , Melbourne and I loved it...husband didn't though. I had really settled , made great friends, knew the schools the kids would start next year etc

Back now and finding it grime here. Go for a walk and you have to keep watching out for Dog crap everywhere..really annoys me. I have a poo brush for the pram- how gross is that! Grown men discard litter without a second thought. It make me question why am I telling my 3 yo to put his rubbish in his pocket until he finds a bin.
    What strikes me is everywhere looks like it needs money spent on it. I guess thats the recession.
    Maybe its the time of year or me projecting my feelings, but people seem like they're having a hard tough life.
    Since we got back its a struggle. I don't do anything- stuck inside with the kids. In Oz I was always out. I dint think twice about heading out with the 2 kids for a walk someplace.

Probably should say what brought us back..well husband got 2 job offers in the same week, a job in Melbourne CBD and another one- a permanent job in Ireland so we came back. We left in the first place because of 'natural wastage', husband lost his job so we applied for skilled visa for Australia.

Its so hard to know, Sorry I know my post is a long whingy ramble.
    Im just feeling unsettled...people don't understand unless they've gone through it themselves.

Go back, think of your kids, they're future will be better in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

This is a really great thread - One of the best I've seen on boards.ie in a long time.

Oh mother dear, I'm over here, I never will come back

What keeps me here is the rake of beer, the women, and the crack.....! .:cool:

Crack or Craic is the question judging from my short time in Australia.....

but agreed, good thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I had an Irish couple (mid 40s) in our venue a couple of weeks ago. Both had been over here 20+ years. Both were Irish through and through. Still had the accents, mannerisms etc However their three kids were all born in Oz.

Now although they both had Irish parents these kids were 100% Aussie. Although they obviously looked like their folks it seemed like they were adopted as they didn't have the same mannerisms, accents etc as their parents.

I'm not saying for one minute bring Irish is better then being Australian but I think if you're having kids is seems such a shame not to raise them In an environment where they know what it means to be Irish. Obviously circumstances dicate where you settle down and it's not always straightforward but I would definitely want to give Ireland one last go before we decided to put some roots down.

Anyone been in a situation like this??

If you're born somewhere & grow to adulthood in that place, that's your nationality, regardless of where your parents come from.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. That if your kids sounded different to you it would make you sad or you wouldn't love them as much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I had an Irish couple (mid 40s) in our venue a couple of weeks ago. Both had been over here 20+ years. Both were Irish through and through. Still had the accents, mannerisms etc However their three kids were all born in Oz.

Now although they both had Irish parents these kids were 100% Aussie. Although they obviously looked like their folks it seemed like they were adopted as they didn't have the same mannerisms, accents etc as their parents.

I'm not saying for one minute bring Irish is better then being Australian but I think if you're having kids is seems such a shame not to raise them In an environment where they know what it means to be Irish. Obviously circumstances dicate where you settle down and it's not always straightforward but I would definitely want to give Ireland one last go before we decided to put some roots down.

Anyone been in a situation like this??

I have kids and they are all Australian. They wont have my childhood, they will have their own. I would not call that a shame.

They will be Australian born of Irish parents a pretty common thing in Australia.

• Advertisement
Advertisement