Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dear Esther

Options
  • 21-01-2012 1:59pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it's less than a month to the release of Dear Esther, the remake of the haunting experimental HL2 mod with excellent narration. It's more of an interactive story that a game but worth a look.

It's a stunningly beautiful piece of work:

http://dear-esther.com/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

seems like a load of pretentious hippy nonsense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

he sure do have a purty mouth though boy!
    teeth-deliverance1.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

backs away slowly...

damnit, no guns in this game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

So it's a game of 3d wallpapers with some "deep" narration? I'm not sold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

chin_grin wrote: »
    So it's a game of 3d wallpapers with some "deep" narration? I'm not sold.

As far as I can tell it's more of an interactive story than anything, with a rich 3D world to explore. Meant to be a commentary on the nature of gaming interactivity or lack thereof. Interview with the creators in this month's Edge about how they purposefully avoided the strong temptation of traditionally 'gamey' elements like goals or puzzles because they just didn't fit with what they wanted to say.

Trying something different and intelligent should be welcomed rather than instantly dismissed as pretentious. It may or not be a success, but it seems like a brave attempt at trying something new. Disappointed there's no Mac port on launch, but would love to give it a go.

• Advertisement

Try out the existing mod then, it's pretty short if you rush through it but you can take your time and enjoy the experience.

It's basically all about atmosphere, the narration is somewhat random and depends on how you work your way across the landscape. The story is slowly pieced together along the way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Trying something different and intelligent should be welcomed rather than instantly dismissed as pretentious.

This, absolutely. Nothing worse than seeing a different take on games being instantly dismissed by the majority of people. It might not be your kind of thing, fair enough. But to call it 'pretentious hippy nonsense' is totally unjust.

As far as I can tell it's more of an interactive story than anything, with a rich 3D world to explore. Meant to be a commentary on the nature of gaming interactivity or lack thereof. Interview with the creators in this month's Edge about how they purposefully avoided the strong temptation of traditionally 'gamey' elements like goals or puzzles because they just didn't fit with what they wanted to say.

Trying something different and intelligent should be welcomed rather than instantly dismissed as pretentious. It may or not be a success, but it seems like a brave attempt at trying something new. Disappointed there's no Mac port on launch, but would love to give it a go.

Granted. But it doesn't really have a niche seeing that nowadays the kids just want the "michael bay" aspect of gaming with their (and probably my) short attention spans. I agree it's a nice change to the usual puzzler/shooter game (trying to avoid the "breath of fresh air" analogy), but will it hold the attention of the current-gen gamers?

The only other game that this immediately reminded me of is Myst!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Granted. But it doesn't really have a niche seeing that nowadays the kids just want the "michael bay" aspect of gaming with their (and probably my) short attention spans. I agree it's a nice change to the usual puzzler/shooter game (trying to avoid the "breath of fresh air" analogy), but will it hold the attention of the current-gen gamers?

Does arthouse cinema hold the attention of the kids today? Nope. Does it offer a gloriously rich, vibrant and exciting selection of cinema with a huge and enthusiastic audience? You betcha!

There is a large subset of gamers out there who want intelligent, thought-provoking, offbeat gaming (I'm one of 'em!). The only reason we're aren't vocal is that we don't have enough games that offer us what we want. But there is a rich indie community out there trying new stuff outside of the mainstream. I think there's more than enough people to justify a release of this sort. We're not going to get anywhere as an ahem artform if we stick to guns, breasts and zombies. Not all success is determined purely on astronomical sales figures or what Little Joe on Xbox Live thinks of the game :)

It's been on my radar for sometime, I loved the original mod because it's so different. Minimal but totally engaging. I'll still get my kicks in BF3 blowing **** up but games like this show a maturing side to gaming that I'm all in favour of.

It's also worth pointing out that this is running on the Portal 2 version of Source. If they manage to get it running smoothly and bug free that's a hell of an achievement.

• Advertisement

Does arthouse cinema hold the attention of the kids today? Nope. Does it offer a gloriously rich, vibrant and exciting selection of cinema with a huge and enthusiastic audience? You betcha!

There is a large subset of gamers out there who want intelligent, thought-provoking, offbeat gaming (I'm one of 'em!). The only reason we're aren't vocal is that we don't have enough games that offer us what we want. But there is a rich indie community out there trying new stuff outside of the mainstream. I think there's more than enough people to justify a release of this sort. We're not going to get anywhere as an ahem artform if we stick to guns, breasts and zombies. Not all success is determined purely on astronomical sales figures or what Little Joe on Xbox Live thinks of the game :)

Ouch. Veiled dig received. Et tu Johnny_Ultimate. :pac:

I miss point-and-clickies. Aw. :(

Ouch. Veiled dig received. Et tu Johnny_Ultimate. :pac:

No dig intended, apologies if it came across that way! Just saying there's only so much exploding barrels one can take before the urge for something with a bit more thought or ambition kicks in :)

I'm all for dumb fun in gaming. But that's pretty much all we get these days. It'd be nice to have more games like Flower or Braid on a regular basis - games that have something to say alongside the 'gamier' side of things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm all for dumb fun in gaming. But that's pretty much all we get these days

What do you mean? Modern Shooter 7: All Non Yanks Must Die was a triumph of video gaming brilliance!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gaming isn't an either / or scenario - any studio or developer that pushes the boundaries of what constitutes a 'game' should be heralded and supported 100%, especially by those of us who insist gaming is a serious, adult medium. We can argue 'til we're blue in the face that gaming be taken seriously as a story-driven entity, but that won't happen if all we ever get is Ruskie-Shooter 5, and other similar, derivative work that glorifies violence.

Now there's nothing wrong with those kind of games in small doses, but to see something that genuinely moves the goalposts of interactive storytellling? I'll buy 5 copies if it means people keep taking risks like that.

That said, going by the trailer, the writing does seem a little forced & too eager to seem worthy, but no question I'll throw my money their way when it comes out.

What I find most amazing about this 'game' though is that - wow - that's the Source engine. Admittedly it looks like the bulk of the work is in some qualiity photorealistic texture work & static meshes but still: credit where credit is due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This has me intrigued. I think I'll get my hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Been researching this and just about finished with my blog post on it now. When googling it for research stumbled across this boards thread. I'm really disappointed that theres going to be no mac version (yet anyway) so i hope you guys will keep me informed on if it's actually as awesome as it looks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

what is the expected RRP ?
    Will it be on STEAM or COG ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

STEAM for €7.99. It will be released on valentines day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

All for new ideas but using fancy words doesn't make a narrative interesting. Don't really see anything interesting in that trailer but each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's out now for those interested. Is it likely to be widely reviewed since some are claiming it's not a game game?

• Advertisement

There are plenty of mixed reviews up already, it seems to be a love hate thing. The main complaint seems to be that all you can do is walk around (slowly) and therefore press it's just W to win. Of course if you only play games to win it isn't for you.

I'm up to my eyeballs with work, hopefully I'll get to try it out tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I only got the chance to play the opening area but its a lovely experience. Its not a game as such, you dont do anything but walk and look and listen,but it looks gorgeous, good writing (if bordering on being a tad pretentious at times), and its something a bit left field. For the price of a small lunch its worth it, if youre after something a bit different.

Same here. Fortunately it wasn't a huge download so I got to try it out before I went to bed last night. It's absolutely gorgeous. So far it's pretty similar to the original mod, so I'm quite happy that it retains the same atmosphere.

The original mod is here BTW.
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/dear-esther

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭BenK

Gave this a go this evening. I thought it was interesting enough. It felt pretty unique and fresh and was very atmospheric in parts. In terms of gameplay mechanics it's limited but it seems a little unfair to criticise it for that as that's obviously not the angle it's going for. It was worth the €7.99 in my view anyway.

I finished my first walk-through tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I can't explain how beautiful this game is so here are some screenshots.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Enjoyable and very pretty. Not worth 8 euro though I think. Definitely one worth picking up in a steam sale though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

made a little video for it :)
    Really enjoyed the game overall, and the graphics whore in me bloody loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

Yeah, I watched the trailer when it was on sale too, and after added it to my wish list.
    Epic trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Just completed it.....and ehhh...well it's not worth the money first of all.

Secondly, I couldn't really categorise it as a "game" , because all you do is press W and the story moves forward.

And on that note, can anyone put up what they got from the story, their interpretation ...as I'm sure it differs to others. Maybe I missed something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Yeah, I watched the trailer when it was on sale too, and after added it to my wish list.
    Epic trailer.
    Same here, but I'll wait till a Steam sale before I pick it up, given the mixed reviews and all that.

Advertisement