Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire ROOTED! (How-To Posted)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Beno wrote: »
    Thats what it was running at when I looked at it
    Did it say current cpu speed beside it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I wish I could pay someone to root my phone, I dont have the balls to try the procedure that was posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭cormie

See my post, #35, here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055902808

It's the ultra dumbed down how to :D

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I wish I could pay someone to root my phone, I dont have the balls to try the procedure that was posted!
    Hi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'd fully recommend PAMG for the job by the way if you weren't up for it yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Hi :D

I may hold you to that. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Rooted my phone on Friday night, quite a nerve racking experience. I don't think the guide fully explains all the steps. Pretty scary between step 1 and 2 when you are not sure whats going on with the phone.

Anyway very happy with it, market enabler is cool, I've installed countless additional apps.

Dont think there are any other advantages for me just yet, maybe when 2.2 comes out...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Rooted mine last night (after owning it about 4 hours :pac:)
    Pretty painless process & much handier then the old g1 way (although the g1s was a simpler root to originally achieve)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I'm getting an error -
    FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

I can continue to the last step, but it stops when flashing the rootedupdate.zip, progress bar goes to 'copying files' and then nothing...

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Ok, downloaded the pushfiles.zip again and that worked.... odd...

All done. :D

Thanks to PAMG and Cormie for the chat transcript (it needed a little weeding, but really helped :p) ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Same thing happened me, all ok now though...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If you get the 90 HBoot error, it'll work perfectly if you run the commands in the script seperately.Ill have to take a look again to see what they are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

I am trying to root my desire.

Got it to the screen with the red traingle & have it hooked up to my ubuntu laptop.

When I run the script terminal pops up for a second then closed & nothing happens on the device.

If I run the commands seperately, it comes up as

error: insufficient permissions for device

Any ideas? I am a bit of a newbie. Tried adding sudo before but didn't help.

I am trying to root my desire.

Got it to the screen with the red traingle & have it hooked up to my ubuntu laptop.

When I run the script terminal pops up for a second then closed & nothing happens on the device.

If I run the commands seperately, it comes up as

error: insufficient permissions for device

Any ideas? I am a bit of a newbie. Tried adding sudo before but didn't help.
    Which method are you using?

I'd recommend using the files out of the R5 method posted on MoDaCo as they are safer than the R4 files. Still not foolproof but safer.

Which step are you on?

I've followed all the steps on the last post of the first page and haev got to

Now you need to unzip the 'push files' zip that you downloaded above. When you have done so, you'll see a file called 'recovery-linux.sh' or 'recovery-mac.sh'. Run the one appropriate to your operating system and the screen of your device should change to display the green recovery image menu.

When I run it, it comes up as error: insufficient permissions for device and the traingle stays red.

Thanks for the help, really apprecaite it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I have a question for all y'all.

Not sure whether I shoudl root or not.
    One concern I have, Desire being my first android phone, is aobut privacy. For example I had to put my gmail account into it to access the app market. I don't like this linking of my gmail to my phone number. Will rotting give me greater privacy control ? Etc ?

I've followed all the steps on the last post of the first page and haev got to

Now you need to unzip the 'push files' zip that you downloaded above. When you have done so, you'll see a file called 'recovery-linux.sh' or 'recovery-mac.sh'. Run the one appropriate to your operating system and the screen of your device should change to display the green recovery image menu.

When I run it, it comes up as error: insufficient permissions for device and the traingle stays red.

Thanks for the help, really apprecaite it.
    Hmm, that method you're trying to use is very old. It's been found to be unstable and may cause you to brick your phone.

I'd recommend using the up to date method found here
    http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/307365/24-may-r5-htc-desire-rooting-guide-now-with-hboot-0-80-and-os-to-1-21-support/

That is the same method that was used in the chat log between me and cormie which should be helpful.
    I have a question for all y'all.

Not sure whether I shoudl root or not.
    One concern I have, Desire being my first android phone, is aobut privacy. For example I had to put my gmail account into it to access the app market. I don't like this linking of my gmail to my phone number. Will rotting give me greater privacy control ? Etc ?
    Not particularly no. That is how Android works i'm afraid. It's far better than having your entire phone's contents under the mercy of iTunes by any stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Not particularly no. That is how Android works i'm afraid. It's far better than having your entire phone's contents under the mercy of iTunes by any stretch.

Yeah i thought that might be the case. I don't know Apple v Google. Much of a muchness really, no ?

A warning for you all...

The rooting process for the Desire is still quite unsafe. There are a few precautions you should take before rooting.

• Use the R5 method
    • Do not under any circumstances move the phone or interfere with the usb connection during the process
    • Ensure your laptop/phone has a reliable battery i.e. don't start flashing on a 5% battery charge on either the laptop or phone.
    • Where possible use the rear ports on your laptop or desktop as they provide a more consistent flow of power. Using the front usb ports may cause problems and in some cases bricking
    • Most importantly of all don't skip ANY steps and if in doubt make a post here and we'll do our best to help
    • If you get a bootloop (I.e. HTC quietly brilliant logo and then a restart) IMMEDIATELY pull out your battery.
    Now for those wondering about the need for so many precautions let me try and explain it to you.
    At the moment the recovery process being used in rooting/flashing does not seem to be working 100% correctly. At times it may flicker or appear to stop working, the reason for this is at the moment unknown but there is a suspicion that it is to do with the USB port being used. The bricking that occurs puts the phone into an unknown form of a debugging "Qualcomm Test" mode. What this does is it disables any third party devices on the phone such as bluetooth, GPS, SD Card, cellular and FM Radio and most importantly of all USB port access. Now the Cellular radio can be restored using a few commands but the rest are as of now still unable to be restored. No USB port access means that you can no longer access the custom recovery and that you can no longer access the SD Card. In fact the only point at which the USB port will work is either when it is charging or when you enter FASTBOOT which allows you to flash stock HTC roms only. There is a theory that three bootloops in a row causes the phone to enter this debugging mode so please read the precautions above.

Now a fix IS being worked on but this requires hard spl access to the phone, something still not available to Desire users.

That said though, as long as you follow the steps precisely you should not have any problems.

• Advertisement

Thanks that method looks a hell of a lot easier! Will give it a shot once the file is downloaded.

Thanks that method looks a hell of a lot easier! Will give it a shot once the file is downloaded.
    Make sure you still keep the precautions I posted in mind. Although the R5 method is safer it still doesn't eliminate the risk entirely so keep the precautions in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Make sure you still keep the precautions I posted in mind. Although the R5 method is safer it still doesn't eliminate the risk entirely so keep the precautions in mind.

There seems to be a Fix out now if you do brick the phone.

cork45 wrote: »
    There seems to be a Fix out now if you do brick the phone.
    Just about to post that here actually :D

Proud to say that I helped in finding the fix (Albeit it wasn't that huge of a discovery :D)

Feel free to flash as many roms as you want on your Desires :D

Ok. Finally got it rooted I think! There's a SuperUser Permissions icon on the phone but when I click it I am just greeted with a plain black screen. Is that normal?

What I am hoping to do is remove the standard gmail & messaging app and replace them. Is that possible and how would I go about doing it?

Ok. Finally got it rooted I think! There's a SuperUser Permissions icon on the phone but when I click it I am just greeted with a plain black screen. Is that normal?

What I am hoping to do is remove the standard gmail & messaging app and replace them. Is that possible and how would I go about doing it?
    Yes you have root.

But you don't need root to replace any of the stock apps :D

Just download a replacement off the market and install.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Just about to post that here actually :D

Proud to say that I helped in finding the fix (Albeit it wasn't that huge of a discovery :D)

Feel free to flash as many roms as you want on your Desires :D

Nice one!

So should we just jump into Froyo and to hell with the camera, or install one of the more solid 2.1 other ones around?
    Any recommendations?

(rooted phone, but haven't flashed any roms yet, so a bit lost with all the options)

Is it possible to remove the stock apps. so they don't appear on the menu page.

Nice one!

So should we just jump into Froyo and to hell with the camera, or install one of the more solid 2.1 other ones around?
    Any recommendations?

(rooted phone, but haven't flashed any roms yet, so a bit lost with all the options)
    Well i've just tried the FroYo rom and to be quite honest I really didn't like it. It's not that the rom was bad, it was very speedy and quite stable but I just can't get over how ugly stock android is. It really doesn't have a scratch on Sense UI. So I guess i'm going to wait for Sense 2.2. I've gone back to a 2.1 custom rom for now.

Bluetooth has been fixed now as well and the camera works so long as you don't use autofocus so it is usable but only if you like the look of the Nexus One's UI.

• Advertisement

Is it possible to remove the stock apps. so they don't appear on the menu page.
    Yes it is but you will need to make a custom rom. Not very difficult but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a bit more familiar with Android.

Advertisement