Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on a loaner while in aus

Options
  • 20-04-2015 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where or how you can go about getting car insurance on a loaner. I.E. a mate of mine has a car in aus who will give me a loan of it for a month or two until we get sorted with our own one.

Obviously once we have our own car we will get it insured ourselves.

Friend has another car he uses and this one is just sitting up at present with no insurance on it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

This is a tricky one. I managed to get insurance on a friends car for nearly six months while he was away. However they said they don't do this normally and only covered me when I told them that I'd be buying the car in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It should be relatively simple.

Get your friend who own the car to call up ibis insurance company and see what his policy allows. It could have an open driver policy where anybody can drive it. If you are under 25 there may be a higher excess to pay in car of an accident. Some policies you need to name a driver who is under 25 on the policy to reduce that excess somewhat.

He can organise the insurance for the car, set you up as a named driver on the policy and you can simply pay him the cost of the premium each month. Depending on your age/type of car the price can vary. For peace of mind, I'ld recommend getting fully comprehensive insurance for the month or two. If anything happens to his car, or anybody else's car then its covered.

Once the car has a Green Slip (CTP…Compulsory Third Party), also known as "bomb insurance" insurance it is legal to drive it. The downside is that any damage or claim that effects your car, another parties car or property you are liable for out of your own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Thanks guys, I'm 36, don't know if I can carry a NCB from here across there. Hopefully it wont be too much. I suppose I could take out my own policy on his car then transfer it to my car when I buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It's a lot easier here. The car is insured rather than the person owning the car being insured to drive it.

I'm not sure if your NCB will carry over here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ElKavo wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I'm 36, don't know if I can carry a NCB from here across there. Hopefully it wont be too much. I suppose I could take out my own policy on his car then transfer it to my car when I buy it.
    Your NCB won't tranfer akaik.
    As for insuring it, it would be a lot easier to just add your self to his own existing policy - assuming he has one. The fact you are 36, and if you have a full license, they might not even be a charge for this. Depending on his exact policy details, you might not even need to be formally named.

Then when you get you own car, sort out that insurance separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Great, It always made more sense to me to ensure the car. Cheers Guys

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

When I moved to Ireland in 2006 I got my car insurance company to give me an official letter to state my history and level of NCB.

I then rang various companies in Ireland when buying a car. Some would not take it into consideration, others gave some discount and one accepted it fully. I would imagine it would be the same coming the other way. Best bet is to contact some of the companies here and ask the question and what paperwork you need to bring with you.

Of course that will only help when you own the car. The NCB for the loaner will be down to the owners record.

Advertisement