Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dear Esther

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Same here, but I'll wait till a Steam sale before I pick it up, given the mixed reviews and all that.

The trailer is exactly like the game.
    It's that guy narrating, while you walk around an island by holding W.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Didn't like this at all, the story hints at something interesting but never does anything interesting. You just wander the island getting random bits of a story that has no peak or resolution.

It was pretty but there isn't much more to it than the screenshots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just played through this and I loved it. An hour and a half of haunting atmosphere, ambiguous storytelling (about loss, grief and guilt, amongst other things) and stunning sights. While it's all strictly linear and pre-designed, I think there's more beauty in the sights of Dear Esther than anything in Skyrim or the like. Doesn't mean it's a better 'game' in the traditional sense, but there's an artistry on show you don't get from many developers. The chapter in the cave system is simply astonishing. There's a sense of discovery too, as you're eager to wander down that other path, or the simple expectation as you turn a corner or leap into a pool of water.

As an experience, I thought it was moving and involving throughout (after five or ten minutes adjusting to the game's design and pacing). Journey is the obvious comparison (not least the focus on progressing towards a towering landmark), although with the interactivity scaled back yet another notch. Doesn't really matter - it's a well-judged experience and the perfect length as it doesn't overstay its welcome.

I think there's more than enough room for experiments like this and more traditional 'gamey' games. It won't be for everyone, but it's a simple, brief and intelligent wander around a mysterious island. On those terms it succeeds fantastically. I'm not going to over-exaggerate its import - despite everything positive I've said, its scope is still limited, and the level of interactivity is a bare minimum. But taken on its own term, Dear Esther is a joy, and the hard-to-define emotional response is still lingering fifteen minutes later.

Plus, this is amazing:

There's always one, glad you enjoyed.
    For me it was one of the most boring "games" ever, well...it's not a game is it...it's an interactive tour if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I decided to try out Dear Esther after an hour of frustration trying to get onto a Day Z server.

It's a very interesting experience. Absolutely stunning visuals. Great music. Good pacing. Very odd indeed, and probably something you'll either hate or really get into, but worth the few euros because there's very little else at all like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SeantheMan wrote: »
    There's always one, glad you enjoyed.
    For me it was one of the most boring "games" ever, well...it's not a game is it...it's an interactive tour if anything.

I think it's very easy to get caught up in the semantics of what Dear Esther is, but to kind of provide a cop-out answer it simply is what it is. The inputs and (limited) interactivity put it closer to a game than anything else, so I'm not uncomfortable calling it that.

The Destructoid review is interesting, as the writer feels it would make a better short film than a game. I completely disagree. The semi-random soundbites, the sense of discovery & exploration, the player-controlled pace, the 'choices' you have to make (I can't be the only one who lingered before jumping down the waterfall :pac:): these are crucial to the experience, and would be lost if it took any other form or medium. While you don't win or lose in the same way you do in other games, and there's certainly no skill involved, the creators still have a wonderful knowledge of the tropes and design of games, and subvert that throughout.

I didn't take anything away from it though, there was no coherent story, or are you to assume or infer certain things. Is it the ramblings of a madman, was it all a dream ?
    I didn't feel I got my moneys worth really at all from it.
    Considering you complete it in 1-2 hours

It's not as easy as 'it was all a dream'. There's basically three stories going on at once - of Paul & Esther and a car crash, of the goat herder Jakobsen, and the diary of the island hermit (?) Donnelly. It's not really meant to make perfect sense: the snippets of prose help inform what happened to the various characters, but it's up to the player to interpret what exactly it all means. Indeed, at the very end all three perspectives collide into one increasingly unstable voice. It's may not 'mean' anything, but leaves many interpretations open. Indeed, the fact that the prose is semi-random means that the experience will differ slightly from player-to-player.

But while they might be the more obvious 'stories', to me the exploration of the island is the real meat here. Luminous paintings on the wall. A shipwreck. The pre-lit candles. The distant silhouette of a figure standing on a cliff-top. It's a mysterious place, and the game doesn't always provide answers. It doesn't need to. I was happy just to accept it as a ghost story of sorts: a surreal and beautiful walk around an island full of secrets and history. The emotional response I had - a mix of wonder, confusion and sadness - was what made it really special for me. If you found it boring, fair enough. But I thought the atmosphere was infectious and haunting throughout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I said above when i first sdaw the video it looked like pretentious hippy twoddle, and I still kinda think that from the videos ive seen but it is pretty great that something like this gets made and sells. While i've next to no interest in dear esther if more people start doing stuff like this there will doubtless be a.. interactive movie? movie-game?..whatever that I enjoy and even makes me stop to take a breath and let what I just saw/experienced sink in like after a great movie.

i kinda view fez in the same way as dear esther.. that wasn't so much a "game" in the traditional.. challenge/puzzle sense (outside the secrets and stuff) it was more a journey through the world and a lovely relaxing fun experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I didn't take anything away from it though, there was no coherent story, or are you to assume or infer certain things. Is it the ramblings of a madman, was it all a dream ?
    I didn't feel I got my moneys worth really at all from it.
    Considering you complete it in 1-2 hours

You're still thinking about it after all this time, which isn't bad for a short story. I'd say you got your money's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I played this when it was released as I was really excited at the concept of such a game. While I won't sing its praises as much as johnny_ultimate, I definitely found it a worthwhile experience. I think I like the idea of this game more so than the game itself as I did get a bit confused by the plot. I feel it is truly an example of a game as a form of art. I will without a doubt try and support more games like this in the future.

I don't know, I just find myself finding much more in these brief experimental games these days. I'd say Journey is probably a more rewarding experience all-in-all, but it's just a refreshing feeling to find more games that provide an emotional response that isn't just straight 'entertainment' or adrenaline. I also have more and more time (heh) for games that are brave enough to be an hour or two long. I don't want the epic game to disappear, but the vast majority of games that are traditional lengths run out of both story and gameplay ideas early, or just repeat the same ideas over and over.

What's most exciting is seeing this new style of storytelling emerge. I can't deny I'd love to see a game with this level of atmosphere or narrative confidence with more interactivity, but these are the sort of games pushing interactive storytelling in the right direction.

There are times when I get frustrated hearing people complaining about the lack of originality in gaming, crap console ports and all that other nonsense. But games like Journey, Dear Esther, Fez, To The Moon, Passage and upcoming ones like Spy Party or The Witness are there waiting to be discovered. Dismiss them as pretentious or simplistic if you will. But alternate and experimental voices need to be encouraged (even if its only by a small but significant minority), and hopefully if they enjoy enough success then bigger projects will emerge with similar levels of ambition. We can only hope that the ideas being explored in Dear Esther and its ilk will have a positive impact on both arthouse and mainstream gaming going forward.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I would agree pretty much with all of that. For me Dear Esther wasn't really a game. It's an experience built using video game technology. It was a wonderful experience and something I find my self going back to again and again.

What great to hear is that the Devs made a profit on release and they are working on new projects.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Im looking forward to what the devs do next.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

A new Amnesia game called A Machine for Pigs, apparently:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/23/amnesia-a-machine-for-pigs-due-later-this-year/

Brief but amusing parody of Dear Esther called Dear Esteban here: http://bmo.****thisjam.com/submissions/89-dear-esteban

^^^ You'll have to replace the stars in the URL with the f-word. Darn swear filters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I finally got round to trying this recently after picking it up in the summer sale on Steam.

I hadnt really read much about it before playing it so didnt know what to expect. I did really enjoy it though. There's kind of haunting beauty to the island which really adds to the experience. I would have liked to have known what the chemical formula drawings and schematics were all about though. I dont think any mention was made of them in the narrative. I really liked the ending as well though. It was strange but in a nice way.

While it is very short it is an enjoyable experience. Worth getting if you can find it cheap enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Brief but amusing parody of Dear Esther called Dear Esteban here: http://bmo.****thisjam.com/submissions/89-dear-esteban

^^^ You'll have to replace the stars in the URL with the f-word. Darn swear filters!

"Where's the damn cat?! The motorcycles are gone." I laughed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

While it is very short it is an enjoyable experience. Worth getting if you can find it cheap enough.
    I liked it too. Not much gameplay, but a nice short story.

It's €2 on Steam for the next 6 hours or so.

Advertisement