Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC lodge papers to go into administration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Dempsey wrote: »
    Jelle1880 wrote: »
    You claimed Lennon was turned down by Rangers because he is a Catholic, you have zero proof apparently so I wouldn't exactly class that as 'fact'.

But hey, anything's good to have a pop at Rangers I guess.

So forgive me if I think you're talking crap until I see otherwise.

neil lennon stated this in his autobiography and he stated it again on a chatshow on national tv in ireland last year. you seem to be the only person that doesnt know! im getting a kick out of you continually fishing for a link to believe this is true!
    He also said on that chat show that when Celtic won the league he would tell us what Ally said to him we are still waiting In that dark period of time many RC's were turned away I have yet to hear of any of them getting a letter claiming religion as the reason. The same way I am waiting on another party to tell me about myself on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

And in that case they will cripple us more than when the first penalties for cases like this were in place.

It's not a positive thing at all.
    Just go to Division 3 then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

You claimed Lennon was turned down by Rangers because he is a Catholic, you have zero proof apparently so I wouldn't exactly class that as 'fact'.

But hey, anything's good to have a pop at Rangers I guess.

So forgive me if I think you're talking crap until I see otherwise.

neil lennon stated this in his autobiography and he stated it again on a chatshow on national tv in ireland last year. you seem to be the only person that doesnt know! im getting a kick out of you continually fishing for a link to believe this is true!
    He also said on that chat show that when Celtic won the league he would tell us what Ally said to him we are still waiting In that dark period of time many RC's were turned away I have yet to hear of any of them getting a letter claiming religion as the reason. The same way I am waiting on another party to tell me about myself on here

what a bullsh*t response tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

i think lennon will keep what mccoist said for his autobiography when he needs a few quid. when rangers had a sectarian policy jock stein was asked if hed sign a catholic or protestant and he said a protestant because he knew rangers wouldn't sign catholics.

Things have moved on and rangers do not bother about catholics playing for them such as amoruso, novo etc. Unfortunately all this has a wider context and im reading books called celtic minded and celtic minded2 about the irish moving to scotland and the reason why so many 3rd and 4th generation immigrants feel more irish than scottish. Why aidan mcgeady chose to play for Ireland and how he was abused by the press and at every ground he played at after his decision. Scotland "best we bigoted country in the world"

what a bullsh*t response tbh.

Really I couldn't give a **** tbh, Does the truth hurt

• Advertisement

Really I couldn't give a **** tbh, Does the truth hurt

Ignorance is bliss, eh?

i think lennon will keep what mccoist said for his autobiography when he needs a few quid. when rangers had a sectarian policy jock stein was asked if hed sign a catholic or protestant and he said a protestant because he knew rangers wouldn't sign catholics.

Things have moved on and rangers do not bother about catholics playing for them such as amoruso, novo etc. Unfortunately all this has a wider context and im reading books called celtic minded and celtic minded2 about the irish moving to scotland and the reason why so many 3rd and 4th generation immigrants feel more irish than scottish. Why aidan mcgeady chose to play for Ireland and how he was abused by the press and at every ground he played at after his decision. Scotland "best we bigoted country in the world"

LOL I love it when people come away with this crap I grew up in Scotland without any problems.
    What happens when I came back home I was met with all sorts of bigotry and lets be honest look round you racism is rife in this country. Yes Scotland has had problems so has our own country we shouldn't be to quick to throw accusations about

Oh and I still await a response from a certain party

Ignorance is bliss, eh?

Well you tel me ;)

Well you tel me ;)

You're the one sticking your head in the sand over Rangers sectarian signing policy. Go read Lennon's book :p

You're the one sticking your head in the sand over Rangers sectarian signing policy. Go read Lennon's book :p

Sticking my head in the sad over it you should read my posts never mind me read a book
    I am sure Mr Lennon will enlighten us all though at the same time as he tells us what Ally said :p

• Advertisement

Hi Broxi,

I can talk from experience being from lanarkshire, i ran a football team full of celtic, rangers, hamilton and motherwell fans. i didn't care what background anyone was and one of my best friends was the grand secretary of the orange orders son and if i couldn't be there he organised the team. i was a celtic fan and respected him being a rangers man but there were a few of his friends who would look down on me being a catholic of irish parents.

I know there are problems here also as being from scotland you are "not one of us" when it comes to the job thing. My tuppence worth anyway

Sticking my head in the sad over it you should read my posts never mind me read a book
    I am sure Mr Lennon will enlighten us all though at the same time as he tells us what Ally said :p

Sign up to Twatter there and ask the man himself and see what his response is. :D

Hi Broxi,

I can talk from experience being from lanarkshire, i ran a football team full of celtic, rangers, hamilton and motherwell fans. i didn't care what background anyone was and one of my best friends was the grand secretary of the orange orders son and if i couldn't be there he organised the team. i was a celtic fan and respected him being a rangers man but there were a few of his friends who would look down on me being a catholic of irish parents.

I know there are problems here also as being from scotland you are "not one of us" when it comes to the job thing. My tuppence worth anyway

I said there was problems mate I never had any myself as I said my problems started when I came home
    My point is maybe people in glass houses and all that.When I have had to get physically involved when a man in his forties grabs my 12 year old at the time and calls him an Orange Bastard because he was cheering on Rangers in my local then there are problems here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Yes, I don't believe a word he said about that, until he comes out with proof.

I'm not 'fishing' for anything.

You're the one who said that Lennon was refused because he was a catholic, you have absolutely no way to back up your point apart from Lennon himself.
    Where is the letter ? Can he even produce it ?

If you're able to show that letter on here I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.
    Until that I think you and/or Lennon are at it.

You're a ****ing joke.

Dont believe it, I couldnt give a **** what you choose to believe or not. But its funny reading your blinkered reaction and it doesnt change what actually happened. Seems that you dont have a clue about Rangers history, time to go read a book or five

I'm not 'fishing' for anything.

You're the one who said that Lennon was refused because he was a catholic, you have absolutely no way to back up your point apart from Lennon himself.
    Where is the letter ? Can he even produce it ?

If you're able to show that letter on here I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.
    Until that I think you and/or Lennon are at it.

The edit ninja strikes again, maybe you should count to 5 before you click post reply, give your fingers a chance to catch up with your brain.

I suppose the conversation that Lennon's father had with Jock Wallace was made up too?

Go back to sticking your head in the sand, you havent a clue.

Yes that is a problem, i know very many decent rangers fans but i think the up to your knees brigade need to grow up. I have also been in the jock stein stand and listened to some mindless idiots slagging off mccoist when he played for kilmarnock and saying unforgivable things about his sick child. I should have said something then but didn't, i would now because its unacceptable. Its just a shame that the minority get the publicity. Theres a good few clips on youtube one is football faith and flutes and the other is scotlands secret shame. Makes interesting viewing. Would like to be in Donegal myself today sipping a pint in the smugglers!!!

For someone who seems to belittle me at every possibility about 'not understanding English' you sure seem to have that problem yourself.

What's 'blinkered' about not believing Lennon's word for it ?

'It doesn't change what happened' ?
    You don't even have proof of what happened, yet it's still 'fact', laughable.

The only letter I found was the one stating interest in him, that's all:

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Neil+Lennon+-+Interest+From+Rangers

Not surprisingly there too it's only speculation as to why they didn't follow up their interest.

One of my favourite memories from parkhead was the time that jock wallace was being badly treated by rangers, i cant remember what it was over. Anyway celtic were playing aberdeen in the late 80's and the celtic fans sang "theres only one jock wallace" and he waved to them. It was an appreciation of the fact that he was a good rangers man and there was a respect for that. The same as when davie cooper died i was sad because he was a great footballer and i was a student and he used to come into the bar i worked in. He was a nice friendly , polite person and no big head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I find it hard to believe that Lennon actually got a letter like that. perhaps Dempsey could give us a direct link to where Lennon said it? I dont remember it in his autobiography though i stand to be corrected.

• Advertisement

I find it hard to believe that Lennon actually got a letter like that. perhaps Dempsey could give us a direct link to where Lennon said it? I dont remember it in his autobiography though i stand to be corrected.

Go to 2.45

Yes that is a problem, i know very many decent rangers fans but i think the up to your knees brigade need to grow up. I have also been in the jock stein stand and listened to some mindless idiots slagging off mccoist when he played for kilmarnock and saying unforgivable things about his sick child. I should have said something then but didn't, i would now because its unacceptable. Its just a shame that the minority get the publicity. Theres a good few clips on youtube one is football faith and flutes and the other is scotlands secret shame. Makes interesting viewing. Would like to be in Donegal myself today sipping a pint in the smugglers!!!

Ah I will be visiting Jimmy Johnny,s in the port later I am a wee bit away from the Smugglers :D

I think you're seeing things there.

He mentions a letter, which could easily be the one I linked to, where Rangers ask him to come over and take a look.

The way you put it I thought you said he had a letter stating why they couldn't sign him.

It's funny how that, when a Catholic doesn't get a place at Rangers it must be due to the policy.

Not the fact that they just didn't think he was good enough, no, that could never be the case obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Nowhere in that interview does he say he got a letter stating they couldnt sign him because of a no catholics policy. Your clutching at straws there

Nowhere in that interview does he say he got a letter stating they couldnt sign him because of a no catholics policy. Your clutching at straws there
    Of course it doesn't I have condemned that policy on this forum many times but anyone who thinks Rangers sent out letters stating religion as a reason for not signing someone is deluded

I think you're seeing things there.

He mentions a letter, which could easily be the one I linked to, where Rangers ask him to come over and take a look.

The way you put it I thought you said he had a letter stating why they couldn't sign him.

It's funny how that, when a Catholic doesn't get a place at Rangers it must be due to the policy.

Not the fact that they just didn't think he was good enough, no, that could never be the case obviously.
    Of course it doesn't I have condemned that policy on this forum many times but anyone who thinks Rangers sent out letters stating religion as a reason for not signing someone is deluded

I did misinterpret what he meant by "I still have the letter", I hold my hand up on that.

From his autobiography
    My dad had a conversation with Jock Wallace in which the Rangers manager said he had known about me for some time.

The subject of my religion was mentioned and my dad recalls that Wallace knew it would be a problem

For religion to be even a sticking point is shameful, to pretend that you werent signing a catholic player because of other reasons is shameful. I suppose it just a happy coincidence Jelle that catholics werent good enough for Rangers for a large part of their history? At least Bilbao tell you that your not Basque and we just want to sign Basque players and promote the Basque region.

I did misinterpret what he meant by "I still have the letter", I hold my hand up on that.

From his autobiography

For religion to be even a sticking point is shameful, to pretend that you werent signing a catholic player because of other reasons is shameful. I suppose it just a happy coincidence Jelle that catholics werent good enough for Rangers for a large part of their history? At least Bilbao tell you that your not Basque and we just want to sign Basque players and promote the Basque region.

Ah so its changed now its because Wallace probably told his father there would be a problem which we all know happened to more than him it must have as the policy in place in time was one of ignorance.

But hey no letter surprise surprise.

As for what Bilbao do its great how one form of discrimination was alright while another isn't
    Thats the difference between you and I, I know both are/were wrong

Ah so its changed now its because Wallace probably told his father there would be a problem which we all know happened to more than him it must have as the policy in place in time was one of ignorance.

As for what Bilbao do its great how one form of discrimination was alright while another isn't

Answer me this, why are Rangers fans so ashamed of the policy and why wasnt the club upfront about it. What was the reason behind starting the policy?

Hi Dempsey, I recommend you read celtic minded and celtic minded2 to understand these things.

• Advertisement

Answer me this, why are Rangers fans so ashamed of the policy and why wasnt the club upfront about it. What was the reason behind starting the policy?
    Unfortunatley not all of them are but the biggest majority are so it has changed I don't speak for others as far as I am concerned it was wrong why did the club go down that route I have no idea and I doubt anyone could give a definitive reason as to why the club put that policy in place.

Now you tell me why after all these years of it being done away with do Celtic fans need to continually harp on about it. Does it make you feel superior it shouldn't

Advertisement