Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start...

Options
  • 23-05-2015 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Usual story..... hubby and I are separating. He refuses to go down the mediation route and is insisting that I get myself a solicitor thus leaving me no choice but to go legal. My questions are:

-how do you start to chose which solicitor, there are hundreds in Dublin?
    - what kind of questions do you ask them?
    -how do you know if they are right for you?
    -can you meet them and then decide they are not for you and if so will they charge you for that visit?
    - any pitfalls anyone can advise me to avoid?
    - do you have to pay an upfront fee?
    - are they fairly accurate in their assessment of what it will cost overall?

My situation may be complex - house, kids, etc. I don't qualify for legal aid.

Sorry I know absolutely no-one else in this situation to ask and really don't want to be taken for a fool.

Thanks for reading any advice whatsoever will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭tomirs

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Mod Note
    Hi tomirs

thanks for all of your helpful posts here today but can you please just take 5 min to read our charter. One item we call out as forbidden is to get into personal consul with OPs or to offer/ask same. This is not only to protect sometimes vulnerable people, it is also intended to protect our contributors.
    The reasons behind this are varied but basically in similar forums we have seen both OPs and Posters taken advantage of.

As a result this is pretty much the one rule here that we do stamp down on quite strongly. So please do take some time and have a read, but don't get into PMs with OPs in S&D again please. Basically if you can't post your advice on thread, just back away from the keyboard...

Cheers.
    Taltos

Irish divorce services … charge 500 no extras or surprises ... Got my divorce done and dusted in under 5 months Really helpful and step by step and you DONT need his consent it can be done without it ... ask for maintenance the judge will grant it if your reasonable about it ...make him responsible for half off all school fees , books , uniform , trips , sports , music , travel and half off all medical not covered on med card ...be sure to state each payment you will be looking for in regards to school or he won’t have to pay half as its not stated ...Get folio number to house if you want to sell it ...Find out what bank accounts he has your entitled to half off what’s in them ...keep your own just below 4thousnad he can’t have half off anything under the 4 ... You don’t need meditation so don’t worry about it if he won’t go ..you have to be 4 years and one day separated to apply for a divorce in Ireland ..but you can apply for maintenance order or separation order before that go to your local court or Irish divorce services and ask what papers you need ,,,you can fill them and server them you self ..it’s not that hard just take your time Best off luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP you can only use diy services if you and your husband are in agreement with everything - as far as I can remember. If there are any disagreement with regards to property, maintenance etc then the diy route is probably not for you.

Just pick a Solicitor near you and make an appointment. A lot of them offer the first meeting free so it will give you a starting point - they know what they are doing so will be able to answer your questions. They will tell you how much they charge etc before you have to decide whether to go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lollie3

pm sent to you peppa im in a similar situation would like to chat

<Mod Note: lollie3 - just above we reminded another poster NOT to get into PMs with OPs here. This is as much to protect the OP as it is to protect other posters. We don't do this lightly but have experience of vulnerable posters on both sides being taken advantage of.>

• Advertisement

-how do you start to chose which solicitor, there are hundreds in Dublin? >>>> You dont need mediation to be granted a divorce you only need to advise the judge that you informed the other party that it was an option before applying for the divorce but is not one now.
    - what kind of questions do you ask them? >>>>> Pm me i am happy to help if i can .My DIY divorce took under 6 months and i had to get property order adjustment , maintenance order , visitation sorted , school /medical sorted and other stuff you wont even think about sorted also , all off which was not a problem.
    -how do you know if they are right for you? >>>>> Ask questions and expect answers you understand
    -can you meet them and then decide they are not for you and if so will they charge you for that visit? >>>>>>>>>>>You are charged 50/60€ or more per any visit
    - any pitfalls anyone can advise me to avoid? >>>>>>>>>> Tones PM me for this one
    - do you have to pay an upfront fee? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>With solicitors you pay when it its all over with DIY you pay half and half but at there prices its a drop in the ocean compared to solicitors
    - are they fairly accurate in their assessment of what it will cost overall? >>>>> With solicitors they cant be accurate with there cost as they add on this that and the other to the end ..paper work ...stamps ....there time ...forums ... court fees .. the list is endless .

All in ALL if you are comfortable with a solicitor then go with them ....If you think you can handle a few weeks off filling in your own paper work and posting it off then go the DIY ...I am no genius ...or law expert ...just a mother who wanted the best for her child and out off a lousy marriage asap with as little expense as possible and as soon as possible all in all took me under 6 months with the DIY route and only that long as i had to delay a court date for minor surgery and even that wasn't a bother to the judge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Peppa

Thanks to all for replying, I have chosen my solicitor. I can't DIY as things are complicated and I would rather pay now in cash than have regrets for the rest of my life. There are no winners in separation, especially with kids, but I have to do the best I can in a lousy situation and be able to live with the decisions I make. That's the hard part making all the decisions and hoping they are the right ones for my kids.

There the right ones if you and our children are happy :) Remember your not alone we're all here if you need an ear or just a bloody good old fashioned moan :) Best off luck ....

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭pandoraj09

solicitors charge 250 euro per visit...!! Would love to know where you can find one charging 50/60!!!!

I was charged 60€ for a 30min consultation ( I dont live in Dublin ) there is no law saying your solicitor has to be local ...Ring around ... ask for a set amount off time for a question session with the view to becoming a client If there interested in your case and your business they will accommodate you ....its your money spend it wisely ...Keep a journal off your date/time spent for each visit ...have your list off questions with you every time .Ask what you owe at each visit and dont take " we will work it out when this is all sorted " you have the right to know what your spending and when and on what so ask ... ..If you dont ask you wont get its really that simple

• Advertisement
Advertisement