Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from COD to Battlefield?

Options
  • 22-12-2013 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

I have a PS4 with COD Ghosts and am finding it pretty sh*te to be honest.

I really enjoyed MW 2 & 3 and Black Ops 2 on my Xbox 360 but Ghosts is just a little bit "Meh" and the maps are terrible.

I've never played Battlefield before but am considering picking up a copy having been left completely underwhelmed by Ghosts.

Do these games differ that much? How is BF4 to play online? Addictive?

In COD I generally play Team Deathmatch, run around with an Assault Rifle and shoot anything that moves! Usually manage about 20 kills per match.

For some reason I have it in my head that BF is a lot more difficult/strategic and not really suited to that type of casual play?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Despite all the flamewar crap that goes on, they are different games, with different focuses and mechanics.

You won't get any of that no-scope, jumping 360 with a sniper rifle nonsense, but just as equally you could get just smushed by a tank with no ability to fight back against it.

The focus is on team work and combined arms, assaults revive the downed, supports give ammo, engineers fix vehicles, and recon provide spotting/spawn locations/easy dogtags. In principle there's a rock-scissors-paper approach to most classes and vehicles.

Team DM isn't the focus of the BF series, that's conquest mode, since that provides the fuller range of vehicles and the open maps.

If nothing else, there's proper servers, not that peer-to-peer hosting crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Spear wrote: »
    Despite all the flamewar crap that goes on, they are different games, with different focuses and mechanics.

You won't get any of that no-scope, jumping 360 with a sniper rifle nonsense, but just as equally you could get just smushed by a tank with no ability to fight back against it.

The focus is on team work and combined arms, assaults revive the downed, supports give ammo, engineers fix vehicles, and recon provide spotting/spawn locations/easy dogtags. In principle there's a rock-scissors-paper approach to most classes and vehicles.

Team DM isn't the focus of the BF series, that's conquest mode, since that provides the fuller range of vehicles and the open maps.

If nothing else, there's proper servers, not that peer-to-peer hosting crap.

Thanks. That sounds like a very good overview.

I'm just sitting here bored and undecided whether I should go out and buy BF4 or not.

So "conquest" mode is the main mode? How long do these matches last? Are they easy to get into pick up and play or is there a steep learning curve?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Do it! Battlefield when it works is awesome!!

Watch:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

ION08 wrote: »
    Thanks. That sounds like a very good overview.

I'm just sitting here bored and undecided whether I should go out and buy BF4 or not.

So "conquest" mode is the main mode? How long do these matches last? Are they easy to get into pick up and play or is there a steep learning curve?

The length of matches can be determined by the servers admins, either by time limits, ticket limits, kill counts etc etc. So as long or short as you like.

I personally don't think accessibility is the issue, ultimately you're still going to be shooting people in the face. As you progress and earn points in a class, you gain unlocks for that class, e.g. one of the first assault unlock are basic items such as med bag and defibrillators to heal and revive/fry people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

love Battlfield and COD but Ghosts was awful ****e..BF4 on the PC is brilliant and have to say I'm impressed with the xbox1..now the graphics aren't as good as my Pc but still impressive for the new consoles and the PS4 would prob be betterthan XB1...go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

I got bf4 a few days ago like u been cod and really didnt like bf3,
    Played around 4 hours today. The first hour or 2 was so so while i figured out exactly what i was supposed to be doin. But after a while kinda got into it. Its completely different to cod and hard to really compare the 2 as cod really is run and gun while this is alot slower in a way.
    I like this alot but at the same time im not sure how long it would hold my interest, early days but if ya have the spare cash to blow go for it, or wait 3/4 weeks and rent it out

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AGoodison

I play cod and bf4. I find cod is there for the evenings when you just want to sit back and have fun and/or play splitscreen with a friend. Battlefield is there for when I've more time and want to play with a team that don't just look out for themselves but for the team. It's much more strategic but I've found it to be better than cod even though my kill/death ratio is much worse on battlefield. I don't think battlefield is about kill/death ratio it's more focused around objectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

AGoodison wrote: »
    I don't think battlefield is about kill/death ratio it's more focused around objectives.

Yep, me and my friends pretty much come top five most games and the other three can't hit the side of a barn.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AGoodison

Yep, me and my friends pretty much come top five most games and the other three can't hit the side of a barn.

It's much better. I downloaded the cod app and the clan rankings are based by that ratio and not points gained, ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I'm going to be getting BF4 for Christmas. Have played loads of COD before but am pretty crap at it. Am I going to be slaughtered in this game? Will teammates be pissed off at how useless I'll be? I think I'll like the slower paced team games with an objective. I think I could be useful as an engineer or medic. Do many people play as them?

• Advertisement

I'm going to be getting BF4 for Christmas. Have played loads of COD before but am pretty crap at it. Am I going to be slaughtered in this game? Will teammates be pissed off at how useless I'll be? I think I'll like the slower paced team games with an objective. I think I could be useful as an engineer or medic. Do many people play as them?

In terms of facing enemy players, they could be on their first day tomorrow, or they could be vets with a few weeks of earned unlocks who'll slaughter you. But killing and k/d ratio isn't everything. If you make an effort, take points, support your team mates, you'll do okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I played MW2 to bits and quite a bit of Blops1 and MW3. Got BF3 but couldn't get into it. Hated Blops 2 and didn't want to get Ghosts but someone gave it to me as a present and I really detested it.

Wan't going to bother with BF4 but picked it up over the holidays for the PS4. One of the reasons I was steering clear is BF just seems so complicated. I can't get over how much I'm enjoying it. Playing mostly TDM which is straightforward. Have played some Conquest and it was very good if a little daunting

No-one uses mikes/chat on the PS4 tho unless it's just my settings are messed up? Played 5-6 hours and haven't heard a peep not even any verbal abuse:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Mic Chat for PC anyway its better left to Teamspeak ..and a Squad in teamspeak can do serious Damage. It is hard enough to switch from COD to BF Its hard to let go of the all out run and gun of COD , to the Spot the enemy as your about to shoot method so in case you die your Squad/Team know he is there. Support is required for every class and every vehicle. The only I in team is the prIck out on his own Camped on a hill trying to snipe ppl from 2k way.

An entire team on Teamspeak is almost unstoppable if they are working together. And Game play is only enhanced by it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the waterman

been playing bf3 for a year now , love it true to life gameplay. i had a go on bf4 and didnt like it , heli's dont fly the same but my mate reckons you can reconfigure setting why couldnt they just leave it the same its put me right off getting it and starting as a noob again...meh..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 irish187

I`ve played BF since BF 1942 on PC then I moved over to console about 07. The first BF game I played on xbox was BFBC, it was indeed different to the PC but I got used to it and enjoyed it. BF 4 is ok at best, its a game at the end of the day and I use it to unwind

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Evil Robot

BF1 and BF2 ARE awesome, very retro, but great fun. I don't like BF3, it tried to be COD IMO. Haven't a clue what BF4 is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Evil Robot wrote: »
    BF1 and BF2 ARE awesome, very retro, but great fun. I don't like BF3, it tried to be COD IMO. Haven't a clue what BF4 is like.

How in God's name you can describe BF3 as being like COD I have no idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Major +1 on this and think it might be a troll.

COD plays nothing like BF does, it had a few COD like game modes alright but that is right there where the similarities stop. period

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Compared to the older games, BF3 went a bit more towards the arcady run and gun CoD style gameplay. It didn't try to be a call of duty game, but for me it did try to be more accessible to players from that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's army guys with guns I suppose :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Evil Robot

Basically the COD series is a rip off Medal Of Honor, and the new BF's are just following the same pattern to emulate MOH. The best modern shooters are MOH 2010 and MOH Warfighter. COD is just same old every game, and BF is following the same format. I always prefer the MOH's FOR their original storyline and better graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Evil Robot wrote: »
    The best modern shooters are MOH 2010 and MOH Warfighter.
    Think you're in a minority there with that opinion.
    Also, I'm guessing it's the multiplayer being discussed here. Storyline is not really relevant.
    Warfighter storyline was actually pretty terrible come to think of it :pac:

Advertisement