Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭redarmy

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Meh Gavblueking in first. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

By the time this thread closes we'll be on a massive unbeaten run, into the Europa semi-finals and one & all will be Brendan's deciples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Next Year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Another shiny new thread. We really get through them :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

#7 Boo Yawwww :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

GavRedKing wrote: »
    First post......woot!!

P.S.

Benitez in deep sh1t. :pac:

FYP Gav :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Our year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Needs more Doni.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

DONI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Needs more Doni.

I got this

239700.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Maggie Maggie Maggie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

@ Kess.

Not gonna drag that post from previous thread but you are absolutely wrong about not having a chance of 4th in March. When we played Arsenal at home it was in our hands to be 1 point behind Arsenal. I showed the "as it stood table" and that is 100% correct. Your post was slightly 'angled' in your argument not pointing out that we had a game in hand.

Now, if we are not going to allow ifs and buts then i will look forward to this thread moving forward without any talk about "if we beat Swans" or "if we beat Swans, plus the next 2 plus Spurs". Even if we do its unlikely we would get to 1 point behind 4th as we had the chance to in March last season.

That's how it was and is, and yes, it has nowt to do with any manager debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

daithijjj wrote: »
    @ Kess.

Not gonna drag that post from previous thread but you are absolutely wrong about not having a chance of 4th in March. When we played Arsenal at home it was in our hands to be 1 point behind Arsenal. I showed the "as it stood table" and that is 100% correct. Your post was slightly 'angled' in your argument not pointing out that we had a game in hand.

Now, if we are not going to allow ifs and buts then i will look forward to this thread moving forward without any talk about "if we beat Swans" or "if we beat Swans, plus the next 2 plus Spurs". Even if we do its unlikely we would get to 1 point behind 4th as we had the chance to in March last season.

I think this was the whole point though - ifs and buts are ok when the event has not yet happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Something,something...nazi's

Dont mind me, this thread(including its predecessors) needed to be affected by Godwins Law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

new thread smell.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Quiet in here, all shiny and new - I give it till tea time before normal business is resumed.

gafferino wrote: »
    I think this was the whole point though - ifs and buts are ok when the event has not yet happened!

It was put to me that we had no chance of 4th in March 2012, which is 100% wrong. That's where it begins and ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

It was put to me that we had no chance of 4th in March 2012, which is 100% wrong. That's where it begins and ends.

yeah sorry wasnt getting involved in that side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

New thread fail. Where's the link to the old one?

@ Kess.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2011-2012/table/2012-02-26

After 25 games, 7 points behind and a game in hand on Chelsea and Arsenal, closer than we are now but depending on both Chelsea and Arsenal dropping points. Once we lost to Arsenal it really was over.

Going on the run ins posted last night I think we can close the gap on Spurs as they've a tough run in and overtake Everton, the match on May 4 might even be a battle to see who finishes highest. Personally I think Arsenal have enough quality to get fourth.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The fact of the matter is that we were 10 points behind 4th place that weekend and the gap only grew from that point onwards. Saying that we had a good shot at 4th place in March is being more than a bit generous with the facts given that as soon as we played our first game in March we were 10 points off of 4th.

Basically what you are saying is that until we played a game in March we looked to have a shot at getting back into the race for 4th. But once we played a game that turned out to be it.

Here is one for you though. This weekend we play our 26th game of the season. Game 26 last season was the first game we played in March and the game that saw us drop to 10 points off of 4th place.

My question to you is if we win this weekend and Spurs lose, are you going to say that we look to have a good chance of getting back in the mix for 4th?

Afterall that would put us 6 points off of 4th after 26 games played.

If your answer is no, then why so as we would only be two points further off of 4th than we were before the utter collapse in league form that started last January.

For the record I don't think that we would be back in the mix for 4th if we won and Spurs lost, simply because I don't think that all the teams ahead of us will all drop enough points for us to take advantage of. Not to mention my doubts about us staying consistent enough to take advantage even if they did.

I do concede that the debate is a little stacked in the sense that future events can be spoken of in ifs and maybes up to the point when they occur, whereas past events can only be viewed and judged by what actually happened.

K-9 wrote: »
    http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2011-2012/table/2012-02-26

After 25 games, 7 points behind and a game in hand on Chelsea and Arsenal, closer than we are now but depending on both Chelsea and Arsenal dropping points. Once we lost to Arsenal it really was over.

Going on the run ins posted last night I think we can close the gap on Spurs as they've a tough run in and overtake Everton, the match on May 4 might even be a battle to see who finishes highest. Personally I think Arsenal have enough quality to get fourth.

Which is all i said in the first place.

7 points behind Arsenal, game in hand. Chelsea about to play City and Spurs (where they picked up one point). Arsenal and Chelsea still had to play each other and us having Chelsea at home as our toughest game left. Make no mistake, when we played Arsenal we had a very realistic chance of 4th. I also said in my initial post that when we lost to Arsenal that was pretty much it despite all the above.

You'd take that scenario now this season K-9 when we play Spurs?. Absolutely you would, we all would.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is that we were 10 points behind 4th place that weekend and the gap only grew from that point onwards. Saying that we had a good shot at 4th place in March is being more than a bit generous with the facts given that as soon as we played our first game in March we were 10 points off of 4th.

Basically what you are saying is that until we played a game in March we looked to have a shot at getting back into the race for 4th. But once we played a game that turned out to be it.

Here is one for you though. This weekend we play our 26th game of the season. Game 26 last season was the first game we played in March and the game that saw us drop to 10 points off of 4th place.

My question to you is if we win this weekend and Spurs lose, are you going to say that we look to have a good chance of getting back in the mix for 4th?

Afterall that would put us 6 points off of 4th after 26 games played.

If your answer is no, then why so as we would only be two points further off of 4th than we were before the utter collapse in league form that started last January.

For the record I don't think that we would be back in the mix for 4th if we won and Spurs lost, simply because I don't think that all the teams ahead of us will all drop enough points for us to take advantage of. Not to mention my doubts about us staying consistent enough to take advantage even if they did.

I do concede that the debate is a little stacked in the sense that future events can be spoken of in ifs and maybes up to the point when they occur, whereas past events can only be viewed and judged by what actually happened.

You still havent brought into the discussion that we had a game in hand even after we lost to Arsenal because our league game was put off due to winning a league cup final. So talking about 10 points gap is disingenuous and you know it, (provided you actually realised we had a game in hand in your first riposte, if you didnt fair enough).

Even in my initial post i stated it was finished after the Arsenal game so i dont know what the issue is there. We still had a game in hand.

I still think we can creep up and have a chance this season because we shouldnt be giving in. If we show that we havent given in yet in our next few games then i will take that as some mental progress within the squad. Its difficult to know what is going on inside the squad, whether Brendan is going all out for one or undermining both by trying to compete for both. Most of surely think we dont have the squad for both?.

At this stage i hope to have a small chance of 4th when we take on Spurs. And if we can beat them and push on, great.

You'd take that scenario now this season K-9 when we play Spurs?. Absolutely you would, we all would.

Absolutely, 9 points now, we could be 7 points behind by then, I'd take that yep, but I hate us playing Spurs! :(

I think we have enough to close the gap on them given our run in but just not enough to get 4th, we could have something similar to last season, Spurs only getting 16/36 and if we get 24/36 which is possible on that run in. Again though I think Arsenal have enough to go on a good run and stay ahead of us, we just aren't capable of only losing one game and a couple of draws, 30/39 would be an exceptional run for us and probably not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

#28 :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Can someone remind me why we should be celebrating the awesomeness (I'm assuming) of Doni? I constantly follow this thread but can't figure out why? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can someone remind me why we should be celebrating the awesomeness (I'm assuming) of Doni? I constantly follow this thread but can't figure out why? :o

Its a post-modern joke - if Igor Biscan were at the club you'd not be able to move for witty references to his willy or some such.

• Advertisement

You still havent brought into the discussion that we had a game in hand even after we lost to Arsenal because our league game was put off due to winning a league cup final. So talking about 10 points gap is disingenuous and you know it, (provided you actually realised we had a game in hand in your first riposte, if you didnt fair enough).

Even in my initial post i stated it was finished after the Arsenal game so i dont know what the issue is there. We still had a game in hand.

I still think we can creep up and have a chance this season because we shouldnt be giving in. If we show that we havent given in yet in our next few games then i will take that as some mental progress within the squad. Its difficult to know what is going on inside the squad, whether Brendan is going all out for one or undermining both by trying to compete for both. Most of surely think we dont have the squad for both?.

At this stage i hope to have a small chance of 4th when we take on Spurs. And if we can beat them and push on, great.

No it is not disingenuous to talk of the ten point gap regardless of the game in hand, because at the start of March last season that 10 point gap between us and 4th became reality and it never grew less than 10 points from that point onwards.

I think we are both being a little pedantic here to suit our own arguement, and we can both point to facts from last March that would technically back what each of us are saying.

I still think it was a little bit optimistic to try and say that we had a really good shot at 4th place in March, as you did last night, when that fact was gone as soon as we played a game in March last season and it never looked like coming back from that point onwards.

Personally I prefer looking at it in terms of games played (hence why I have mentioned the game number a few times in my earlier posts) as using the month is a bit deceptive and makes it sound like we were in the race for 4th spot for a month longer than it looks now when in fact we are now on the exact number of games played in the league as we were at the start of March last season.

As for this season, well as already said in my other reply to you, I don't think we will make 4th but I don't think we will finish the season as far off of it as last season.

As for not having the squad for the two competitions we are left in. Right now I think the answer to that has to be yes.

We have 13 league games and a maximum of 9 Europa league games. So that is potentially 22 games spread out over roughly 16 weeks.

We have two players in Sturridge and Coutinho who cannot play in the EL, so that is two that can only play 13 games max, and who will be able to cover for the two that take their spots in the EL games.

That leaves the rest of an almost fully fit squad to cope with up to 22 games over a four month period.

I would be disgusted if I saw one competition being favoured over the other at this point, and would expect us to fight on the two fronts as hard as we can for as long as we can.

mike65 wrote: »
    Its a post-modern joke - if Igor Biscan were at the club you'd not be able to move for witty references to his willy or some such.

Meh Biscan. He was no N'Gog. Now there was a man who could get part time work as a tripod from War Of The Worlds. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

New thread fail. Where's the link to the old one?

here it is, Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

mike65 wrote: »

That - in a nutshell - explains it perfectly.

Suso is starting for spain u21s in a while

lineup

Kepa, Carvajal, Sergi Gómez, Amat, Aurtenetxe, Rubén Pardo, Obiang, Deulofeu, Sarabia, Suso, Alcácer.

which seems to be mainly the U19 squad at a glance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

klose wrote: »
    Suso is starting for spain u21s in a while

That's a nice feather in his cap as that team is packed full of talent. Interesting to see if they use him more central or out wide.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Didn't realise Aurtenetxe was that young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Meh Biscan. He was no N'Gog. Now there was a man who could get part time work as a tripod from War Of The Worlds. :p

Oi...nooooooo. I wont hear a bad word said about Igor. The toussled hair,the permanent look of bewilderment on his face...a living legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

9992 posts in 38 days??

That's just shy of 263 posts per day:eek:

That is proper bloody mental.

No wonder it's so hard keeping up with this thread.

No it is not disingenuous to talk of the ten point gap regardless of the game in hand, because at the start of March last season that 10 point gap between us and 4th became reality and it never grew less than 10 points from that point onwards.

I think we are both being a little pedantic here to suit our own arguement, and we can both point to facts from last March that would technically back what each of us are saying.

I still think it was a little bit optimistic to try and say that we had a really good shot at 4th place in March, as you did last night, when that fact was gone as soon as we played a game in March last season and it never looked like coming back from that point onwards.

Personally I prefer looking at it in terms of games played (hence why I have mentioned the game number a few times in my earlier posts) as using the month is a bit deceptive and makes it sound like we were in the race for 4th spot for a month longer than it looks now when in fact we are now on the exact number of games played in the league as we were at the start of March last season.

As for this season, well as already said in my other reply to you, I don't think we will make 4th but I don't think we will finish the season as far off of it as last season.

As for not having the squad for the two competitions we are left in. Right now I think the answer to that has to be yes.

We have 13 league games and a maximum of 9 Europa league games. So that is potentially 22 games spread out over roughly 16 weeks.

We have two players in Sturridge and Coutinho who cannot play in the EL, so that is two that can only play 13 games max, and who will be able to cover for the two that take their spots in the EL games.

That leaves the rest of an almost fully fit squad to cope with up to 22 games over a four month period.

I would be disgusted if I saw one competition being favoured over the other at this point, and would expect us to fight on the two fronts as hard as we can for as long as we can.

That 10 point gap could have been 1 point very easily, thats the whole fking point of what we are talking about, nothing else. It was never a topic of discussion whether we could have got back in it after that because i already conceded that point myself in my own post prior to any riposte, you are arguing a stance that was already conceded ffs!!!!! :pac:

• Advertisement

That 10 point gap could have been 1 point very easily, thats the whole fking point of what we are talking about, nothing else. It was never a topic of discussion whether we could have got back in it after that because i already conceded that point myself in my own post prior to any riposte, you are arguing a stance that was already conceded ffs!!!!! :pac:

And yet you keep responding.:pac: The joys of a discussion between two stubborn heads who can suffer from selective tunnel vision ;)

Robinson,wisdom,hender :pac: and shelvey starting for england u21s. Hender will captain em as always

Dunno why Liverpool kicked up a fuss about Sterling playing. Could have had nearly half a side out there.

And yet you keep responding.:pac: The joys of a discussion between two stubborn heads who can suffer from selective tunnel vision ;)

It was in our hands to be 1 point behind Arsenal in March, that's the only point i ever made. The league table says i was correct..............now apologise please :pac:

It was in our hands to be 1 point behind Arsenal in March, that's the only point i ever made. The league table says i was correct..............now apologise please :pac:

Ifs and maybes :p

The league table says I am correct to say that we were ten points behind 4th once we played our first game in March, so say sorry with sugar on top. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Didn't know there are illegal youtube streams of matches.

Parking Pataweyo plays for Spain! :D

Ifs and maybes :p

The league table says I am correct to say that we were ten points behind 4th once we played our first game in March, so say sorry with sugar on top. :pac:

I accept your apology. *manhug*

I am so sorry Kess. I was very wrong.........again

No problem Daithi, all is forgiven my sweet petal. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement