Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss McGuire's Commercial College

Options
  • 15-04-2014 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone every heard of it?

My granny told me that her mother came up to Dublin in about 1916 to attend "Miss McGuire's Commerical College to learn shorthand, typewriting and bookkeeping." Can't seem to find much online about it, just references on this page to a 'Miss McGuires - Typwriting'. Seems to have been around a long time, from as early as the 1860s, but I can't find much else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Cross the road from Abbey Presbyterian Church in North Frederick Street, and walk up Gardiner Row and it was one of the buildings on your left. I enjoyed my time there and I would love to know more about the college. I don't know anything at all about 'Miss McGuire' herself. Sorry can't be more help. I tried to find out before but got nowhere.

Edit: Just checked the Newspaper Archives. I found two articles on the Distribution of Prizes, December, one is 1914 and the other is 1918. It was also known as a Civil Service & Commercial College and was situated at the time at 51 Upper Sackville Street. The late hour prevents me from adding the actual articles now, perhaps someone else could do it for me as I will be away tomorrow.
    JB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I can see directory listings for the college in 1927 at 5 Gardiner's Row, and at 51 Upr. Sackville Street in 1914, also in 1910 as typewriting school at no. 51 .. haven't found anything earlier yet.

Managing Director is listed as A. Moorhead in the two later listings, likely this guy in 1901 and 1911

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Stating the obvious, I suppose: I presume the move to Gardiner's Row was occasioned by events on Sackville Street about Eastertime in 1916. So OP's great-grandmother probably attended classes in the Gardiner's Row location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Miss Laura McGuire, Proprietor of School for Type Writing in 1901

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Has she changed her religion from CofI to RC by 1911 Census? Certainly looks like her, born in India.

• Advertisement
Advertisement