Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SW HKC 812 Strobe light flashing - is that normal?

Options
  • 21-12-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello good people,

I am a total newbie so I hope that this is the right place to put my question.

I have an old Secure Watch 812 HKC alarm installed Dec 1999 by the then Lara Alarms Ltd.

There was a power cut this summer which set off the alarm and got me panicking a bit, but somehow I got the alarm bell/siren to stop. (I have a bad memory). I took the opportunity to change the battery.

The system works OK (I think) but since then the strobe light on the box outside at the side of the house is flashing.

There are two small green lights (at the side of the outside box) flashing alternately which I assume is normal, but
    the strobe (a white flash) flashes about every 8 seconds. I never noticed that happening before? Is this normal?

Also I noticed that if I arm the system and then induce an activation by opening the front door, the alarm bell is heard OK and the strobe light flashes rapidly about (once every second).
    When I input the user code the system Unsets and then goes to display: “the date”, then
    “Ready to Arm”.

But the strobe light continues to flash every 8 seconds? Is this normal?

I have read through previous posts and the excellent answers in some of the related threads on this forum, but did not find any suggestion that might answer my query.

(Well, there was one question similar to mine but the answer did not help me?)

Hope someone can shed some light on this “flashing light”! Is it normal that it flashes continuously every 8 seconds?

By the way I can access the MENU.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If it's the actual strobe it's not right.
    Need to find what triggering it of if it's a fault with the sab.
    Open the panel disarm the system and disconnect the external bell negative and then the strobe negative and internal negative.
    Post back then as to whether it has stopped or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dynosaur

KoolKid,

Many thanks for your suggestion. I will attempt this tomorrow (can't do it today :() and will report back the results.

Mind you I don't remember seeing any strobe label on the PCB of the alarm control panel. But I will certainly attempt your suggestion and get back to you tomorrow.

Many thanks again for your help.

Dynosaur

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The strobe negative will probably be in with the internal negative. I want to see if it's something possibly coming down the negative from the intern that is somehow activating the strobe.

Hello KoolKid,

I tried your suggestion:
    1-Disconnecting the external bell negative : does not affect it. The box outside is still flashing
    So I connected back the external negative.
    2- then I disconnected the internal negative: does not affect it. The box outside is still flashing,
    So I connected back the internal negative.
    3- Disconnected both external negative and internal negative at the same time: does not affect it. The box outside is still flashing,
    Connected back the internal negative.
    4- Then I thought in for a penny ……. So I disconnected the external bell positive.:
    The outside alarm sounded but white the flashing light stopped and also the alternating little green lights stopped. I guess that was the power to the outside bell module.
    But the bell continued to sound.
    5- Connected back the positive of the external bell and the external alarm stopped, but also the white flashing stopped and the little green lights came back but this time they blink together every 3 seconds (they don’t alternate).

So although I don’t understand exactly what happened, the white flashing light is off and that was the objective of the exercise.:)

The alarm system seems to be working (sort of) I’ll probably come back asking another one or two questions (if I may) after Christmas to fine tune this alarm system.

In the mean time I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to put me on the right track and I take this opportunity to wish you and all the members of this forum a very Happy and Peaceful Christmas.

You are more than welcome. My next 2 suggestions would have been separate the negative of the internal and the strobe and then power the bell down. As you got there before me all is good. If it comes up again I would be replacing the external bell.

• Advertisement

Hello KoolKid,

I am not sure if I can continue this thread or not according to the rules? I am a newbie who has never used any forums before - except here last December when I was seeking help.( see earlier original post above)

By the way, after reading more in the forum and understanding more your advice I eventually found that the white wire going from the positive strobe (in the SAB) to the positive internal bell had a flaky connection. So connected it better and the white strobe problem was fixed, and system back to normal. Many thanks for your help on that! :)

(In the process I blew a couple of fuses which I replaced! - trembling hands ;))

But now there is another little problem: :o

We noticed (in the quiet of the night) a slight regular vibration coming out of the control panel box. By investigating, I’d say it is coming from the internal sounder/bell which is inside the control panel and connected to it. It emits a low vibrating sound burst/chirp about every 15 minutes for a very short time.

Can I change/replace that internal sounder? Or do I have to buy a complete control panel box?

By the way I seem to have a 6/10 SecureWatch system not a SW 8/12 as I thought initially (in above original post).

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Dynosaur

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Does that inside siren look like a large match box with 2 holes in it by any chance?

Anyway that noise is typical with the old SB1 internal sirens, you could try just disconnecting it for a while just to make sure it is causing it.

Either way yes you can replace just the siren no need to replace the whole panel.

Thank you for your prompt reply Kub.
    Does that inside siren look like a large match box with 2 holes in it by any chance?
    Yes exactly.
    SB1
    Sorry, please excuse my lack of knowledge, what is SB1?
    you could try just disconnecting it for a while just to make sure it is causing it
    Yeah, good idea, I will try that tomorrow.

Would you think Wesco would have such a siren replacement?

I live in Newbridge any suggestion to where I could source it?

Anyway many thanks for your advice.

SB1 is a sound bomb. It's just a name for that internal siren you have. Any 12 volt siren will do. Most suppliers should have those or similar in stock.

Hello KoolKid,

Thank you for replying.

Sound bomb! An appropriate name ;) Thank you for explaining that.

Now for the real business!
    I went down to Wesco and bought a new SB1 exactly the same as the one I had. I Connected it but alas got exactly the same noise as from the old SB1, may be a little louder:o
    Luckily it was not expensive!

So back to the drawing board…

First I thought there must be something wrong with the control panel board but then I wondered if it wasn’t the SAB?
    As you explained it to me before, the SAB connects to the SB1 at the Internal Bell (+ & -) terminals on the control panel board. (And the alarm system seems to work OK, well apart from this SB1 noise).

So I disconnected the SAB two wires and left the SB1 connected to the Internal Bell terminals. The SB1 was as quiet as a mouse!

If I connect just the green wire (the SAB negative to the Internal Bell negative with the SB1 connected), the SB1 makes a low level continuous noise, a sort of a hum.

If I then connect also the white wire (the SAB positive to the Internal Bell positive with the SB1 connected) the vibration pulse noise/chirp starts to occur at regular intervals.

I guess then perhaps some noisy signal is coming down from the SAB connecting lines.

But I know nothing about the SAB circuit. I think I read on one of the threads on this forum that there is a battery in the SAB.

Our SAB has not been touched since it was installed in 12/1999!
    Is the SAB battery a rechargeable one? Even so may be its time to see if it requires changing?

If that is the case can you tell me, please, what type of battery to ask for in Wesco?

I will then have to arrange for someone knowledgeable to come and change this SAB battery for me.
    I have never done that before and I am past retiring age now:)

If the above analysis is not correct, and if the SAAB is not the cause, then the other possibility is the control panel board.:(
    But that is for another day.

Any input is gratefully appreciated

Many thanks
    Dyno

• Advertisement

Dyno do you have engineer access to that system?

If so we can connect the SB1 to different programmable outputs.

Hello Kub,

Thank you for replying.

I am not sure what engineer access is?
    But I can access the main menu and all the other sub-menus (well the ones I tried) by using our own code or by using the default engineer code or by using the default all ones user code.

Any help is much appreciated.

So can you get Service Menu on the screen?

yes, I can get Service menu on the display.

Ok do that then press the # until you get to Outputs Menu.
    Then press Yes.
    Then it will say Panel Outputs.
    Press Yes.
    Then you should see something like
    01 Fire Pos
    Press Yes Fire starts blinking.
    Press #, until you see Int. Bell NEG
    Then press Yes.

What we have just done above is changed output number 1 in your panel to an output for your internal siren.
    So your next job now is to connect the red wire of the SB1 to the + 12 v dc output and the black to Output 1.
    You will see both of these terminals on the right side of your circuit board.
    What we are doing here is connecting the siren directly to the panel and separate from your Bell box.

Ok , Kub, many thanks for these suggestions.

I will try that now and report back.

much appreciated.

If you get bogged down I will be around for a while.

Sorry, Kub, after I reach Int. Bell NEG and press yes
    the display stays 01 Int. Bell NEG
    Do then I press quit until I go out?

dynosaur wrote: »
    Sorry, Kub, after I reach Int. Bell NEG and press yes
    the display stays 01 Int. Bell NEG
    Do then I press quit until I go out?

Yes just press Quit once, don't leave engineer mode yet as you still need to work on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Put a 4k7 resistor across the positive and negative bell terminals of the panel.

• Advertisement

Ok, Kub, I did the steps on the display then quickly tried the to touch/connect the wires of the SB1 the red to the +12V and the black to the Output 1.
    I think it will work because I heard no hum.

But I am afraid to try to connect the SB1 permanently now. I am afraid to unscrew the +12V terminal screw to attach the SB1 red wire because there is another wire connected there (I don't know what it is) and I might set the alarm off. (don't want to get in the bad books with the good neighbours).
    So I will do the permanent SB1 connections tomorrow if that's OK with you.

Is it possible to continue with the work on the panel without connecting the SB1 now?
    Perhaps you can tell me what I need to do and I could do it now or tomorrow depending on the "neighbours factor".

Again many thanks for your help.

Hello Fred:
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge, do you mean the Internal Bell Terminals? (Because there is also External Bell) , but now that we are going to connect the SB1 to Output 1 - according to Kub' s suggestion, the SB1 will no longer be connected to the Internal Bell terminals - only the SAB will be ?

But I'll keep your suggestion in mind.
    Many thanks.

That other Red cable is a positive feed to a detector which needs a constant 12 volt supply such as a beam etc.

In your own time, no problem at all, just loosen that terminal and squeeze your red in with the other red and tighten the terminal again, just a tip here, pull both cables ever so slightly just to ensure both are clamped into the terminal.

Put the Black into output 1, then go back to your keypad and when you see Service Menu press Yes and press # until you see test outputs.
    Press Yes and Output 1 is the first that will pop up.
    Press Yes again and your siren should sound, once it does just press Yes again and that will stop it.

So you should be out of the woods then, just replace the panel lid and exit out of engineer mode by pressing Quit a few times until you see Exit Engineer? Just press Yes then.

Ps no problem at all leaving the SB1 as it is for now.

Brillant, Kub, your instructions are very clear.
    I guess I'll carry out the rest of the work tomorrow, and report back then.

I was given the yellow card already last night re this alarm experimenting.
    Don't want to get the red card tonight!
    Then I won't need an alarm at all!!!

Again, many thanks for the help.

Hello Kub,

Just reporting back.

Your instructions worked perfectly.

According to your instruction, the SB1 test was successful so the SB1 works fine now.
    No hum or chirp or noise of any kind from the SB1 now. We'll have a good night sleep tonight.:)
    And the alarm system is still working as it should.

Many thanks for your help and also thanks to Koolkid and Fred for pitching in.

I have learnt a lot just by reading through the various advice given in the threads of this forum.
    Still, miles to go and lots more to learn……..

I definitely enjoyed this experience. Having never used forums before, I am now a believer in them.
    Hopefully I can help someone sometime, (not in the alarm business though, I still know nothing about it!:):)).

A big thank you folks.:D

dynosaur wrote: »
    Hello Kub,

Just reporting back.

Your instructions worked perfectly.

According to your instruction, the SB1 test was successful so the SB1 works fine now.
    No hum or chirp or noise of any kind from the SB1 now. We'll have a good night sleep tonight.:)
    And the alarm system is still working as it should.

Many thanks for your help and also thanks to Koolkid and Fred for pitching in.

I have learnt a lot just by reading through the various advice given in the threads of this forum.
    Still, miles to go and lots more to learn……..

I definitely enjoyed this experience. Having never used forums before, I am now a believer in them.
    Hopefully I can help someone sometime, (not in the alarm business though, I still know nothing about it!:):)).

A big thank you folks.:D

I am delighted it worked for you. I am sure there is a thread somewhere on Boards that some day you will be able to assist someone as well.

Thanks for letting us know.

Advertisement