Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing Bathroom Extractor?

• 29-09-2015 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭

I've decided to replace the Extractor fan. It's barely holding a sheet of toilet paper to itself and seems it was a pretty cheap unit to begin with(builder cheaped out).

Changing it will be the easy bit but is the apperture at the rear/ducting size the same in general for domestic extraction?

I don't want to head out and come home with something where I need a different sized ducting and spend more money.

My current unit is a 240v 20w 85m3 and googling tells me for the size of an ensuite(small) that's sufficient.

Any advise before I head out and buy a replacement?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Your fan could well be fine but the ducting at the back of it may well be the issue. It is remarkable how easily poor ducting and layout can reduce the ability of the fan to move air to nothing.
    If the ducting is the flexible type (the worst type), check that the ducting is not blocked with condensate (this happens where flexible ducting runs horizontally over ceiling joists and condensate gathers between joists in the ducting eventually creating a siphon where no air can pass).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Thanks, I've been up in the attic and followed the ducting from one end to the other. Everything there seems good, there's no air escaping at the fan either where the ducting meets it. Yes, it the flexible white ducting.

Checking the other 4 extractors around the house(all the same, 2 wall mounted, 2 ceiling mounted with ducting) and they're all the same. Not really extracting much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭wait4me

MicktheMan wrote: »
    If the ducting is the flexible type (the worst type), check that the ducting is not blocked with condensate (this happens where flexible ducting runs horizontally over ceiling joists and condensate gathers between joists in the ducting eventually creating a siphon where no air can pass).

I was going to ask this on another thread but may as well as you brought it up here. I have flexi ducting from a ceiling fan in an ensuite up into the attic to a vent on a gable wall. Should I replace this with rigid piping? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Yes, and insulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Had a quick Google on rigid insulated 100mm ducting and its all seems to be either flexible or semi flexible and both of these don't seem to have a smooth internal surface. Would a builders providers have rigid insulated ducting which would be better suited ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭wait4me

hatchman wrote: »
    Would a builders providers have rigid insulated ducting which would be better suited ??
    I presume that you could get rigid piping and wrap it with rockwool or other such insulation???

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Thanks. That was my plan but it would take longer than a pre insulated pipe. But guessing it would be a lot cheaper. A wavin sewer pipe think should do the job and wrap rock wool around it.

Advertisement