Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime time homecare scandal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Were Laws not broken then ? ...

Carers are required to have Fetac level 5 training, are required to be vetoed by the Cops...

The HSE staff signing the Contracts..Did they not ensure that there are x Number of patients so for 24/7 days a week you have enough Staff that are "already" trained/vetoed.. if not you get no Contract.. ...These HSE Staff failed to do their JOB correctly ... so Fire them ... Or at least Down Grade them to where thay can not put any lives in Danger ...

The owners of these Companies ..FINED and JAILED if they "bent" the rules and allowed lives to be put in risk...

Investigate by all means ... but this time have the cops do it.. Bring them to Court ... and afterwards NAME them.... Not just the managers ... the Executives.. The lot...

It's time to make examples and set standards ..
    Most of all it's time to show the world we are worth saving from ourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    I watched that documentary as part of my FETAC Level 5 Healthcare course and I took three pages worth of notes which just made me emotional. I was on the brink of tears by the end of it. When I finish my course I intend to be the nicest, most obliging carer Ireland has ever seen :)

Great! Hope you have a satisfying experience and go far in your field.

And know there are a great many carers working here who give exceptional levels of commitment. My wife in the office of company providing home care and some of them are nothing short of saints. There are carers who will be taking their clients to their own home for Christmas dinner for example ( without pay I might add). There are carers who give their own time freely because the clients aren't getting enough attention through official channels. All carers at the company I am talking about are Garda vetted.
    Now and again there are chancers but they are quickly dealt with.

BUT
    this company are paying carers €15 an hour with double on Sundays and trying to compete with outfits paying minimum wage and no overtime.
    Both the companies are paid the same budget per client by the HSE.

I'd say caring is something you either have a calling for or have not - if not leave the poor souls alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

The very young used to be treated like animals, surely this should come as no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I dont get what the big deal is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Glenster wrote: »
    Must...Resist...Urge...to...feed... troll......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Friend of a friend got a job in one of those places. She left the same day after seeing what was going on.

My only question was why did she not report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Glenster wrote: »

Perhaps have an eldery relative looked after by one of these obscene companies, you might soon get waht the big deal is!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I've rarely been so outraged, angry and upset after watching a TV programme. That old woman who was visibly distressed reminded me so much of my late grandmother. It just makes my blood boil, but then why should we be surprised by anything in this country anymore? I'm sick to death of this half-arsed corner-cutting "ah sure it'll be grand, nobody will find out" attitude that these bastards have.

How can the people running these companies sleep at night? Do they even give a ****? Just as long as they can still have their jeeps and 4 annual foreign holidays from saving money by employing people unfit for the job. Sometimes I just lose faith in humanity. :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Can anyone tell me the name of the kennels that the evil woman runs? i recognised the gate and fear a friend may have used her before?

Have used her before and the Other half recognized her.
    Site below.
    http://www.hilton5star.edicypages.com/en

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Ste- wrote: »
    Have used her before and the Other half recognized her.
    Site below.
    http://www.hilton5star.edicypages.com/en

Am i reading this right? this disgusting individual runs a Dog Kennel? no disrespect to dogs, i love them but it seems to me this **** seems to be confusing HOME CARE REQUIREMENTS AS OPPOSED TO DOG KENNEL MANAGEMENT, in some cases patients seem to have been treated worse than animals!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I'm not a soppy person but I was very close to tears when I saw the old lady begging not to be left alone after being threatened that her carers would leave if she didn't take her medication. Not to mention the stories of people who were left alone in their beds all weekend because their carers didn't bother to show up. Absolutely repulsive stuff.

To anyone who thinks this isn't a big deal, you don't even need to think about your own elderly relatives...we'll all be old some day, and I can only imagine the horrors that must await us if we don't act now to regulate this area of care. That old lady in the footage was so helpless and vulnerable in the face of those bit*es.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I still get surprised that people get surprised when they see things like this come on the tv - when are people going to face up to the fact that we have been living in an extremely corrupt situation for decades. The elderly people in nursing homes were being ROBBED every month for thirty years by the government - when it was exposed the government had the cheek to say that they would only get a portion of what was robbed from them back.

Can you elaborate on this?
    What was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GSV

pookie82 wrote: »
    To anyone who thinks this isn't a big deal, you don't even need to think about your own elderly relatives...we'll all be old some day, and I can only imagine the horrors that must await us if we don't act now to regulate this area of care. That old lady in the footage was so helpless and vulnerable in the face of those bit*es.

In fairness I think the response is more like "what did you expect?".
    To my mind all this right wing crap comes from the PDs influence.
    People were happy to vote them in. Mary Harney is still there for Christ's sake!
    They believe in a small elite at the top of society, Michael McDowell said this explicity - so you have 2 tier health care.
    They believe in an under class, hence - "low pay is better than no pay". This from a woman who's on hundred's of thousands of euros a year.

A fair society is an equal society. In a fair society the welfare of elderly people is a priority.
    It's a simple equation but we don't seem to have the balls in this country to stand up to the type of gob****es that gain power again and again and...
    It makes me sick. no pun intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

GSV wrote: »
    In fairness I think the response is more like "what did you expect?".
    To my mind all this right wing crap comes from the PDs influence.
    People were happy to vote them in.

Oh for god's sake, how many pd's were there ever in the govt at one time? Two elected in the last election I think, 4 the time before? A certain very small section of the people were happy to vote for them yes, but don't make out they are representative of the populace in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GSV

Yeah I know, a tiny minority.
    My point is about the amount of influence they had on government policy.
    Who do you think came up with the idea of privatising a part of the heath care system
    so that if you had the cash you could get preferential treatment, Berty Ahern or Mary Harney?

Berty Ahern wouldn't have had the balls or the brains for that matter.
    It takes someone with a ****ty right wing agenda to come up with that brainwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

When I saw that woman being force fed, and not being allowed to do anything for herself because the carer kept saying "she's an old woman, she cannot do it" "she is too old, so I will do it" it reminded me of this poem.
    The poem was found in the belongings of an old woman who died in a geriatric ward of a hospital:
    http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/jimhug/See_Me.html

This documentary made me a bit scared about growing old. I hope some positive new legislation arises from this documentary, although I'm not sure how likely that is.

Advertisement