Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get lengths 4mm diameter steel tube?

Options
  • 07-10-2015 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to connect a very small DC motor shaft (~1mm diameter) to a toy wheel, and I need a small coupler to connect the two. I can get 6mm steel tubing in B&Q, but nothing smaller in steel. They have smaller diameters in aluminium but it's too soft for what I need.

Is there anywhere around Naas that I could get something like this? There'd be a bit of trial and error in what I'm doing so I'd ideally be hoping to get 2mm/ 3mm / 4mm tubing and get one to fit.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Reliance maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

bladespin wrote: »
    Reliance maybe?

Hi there, they look like they are trade only. They dont have a shop somewhere that you can walk in to do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hi there, they look like they are trade only. They dont have a shop somewhere that you can walk in to do they?

Yes, JFK Road D12.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Hi can you get a suitable rod, maybe cut the head off a bolt and drill the hole?

Oh dont talk to me LongGone... I've had about 30 attempts of trying to drill a hole straight, including your idea of using a bolt.

But I've come to the conclusion that I cannot drill the 1/1.5mm hole straight enough for a couple of reasons:
    - The bits that I have to use are tiny and keep breaking, whether in my drill stand or handheld.
    - My drill guide doesnt have anything for bits smaller than 4mm, so this is of no use to me.
    - The hole has to be 100% perfectly straight otherwise the wheel will wobble on the shaft. So there is no room for error.

Very frustrating..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Sounds like a common issue the modeling (as in RC cars, etc., not the other kind :D) world will have solved. Try Sussex Model Centre or Marks Models.

Alternatively, on the long boat from China, these might work, only 2mm+ it seems though.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

James Healy (http://www.jameshealy.ie/materials.htm) perhaps? Steel tube is not spefically mentioned in their catalogue but they could have something you could use.

They have a place in Bluebell in Dublin. I've only every dealt with them in Limerick and found them very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

OP my company can supply you 1 x 3mt length of 6mm OD x 4mm ID seamless ASTM stinaless steel 316 tubling. 1 mm thick wall.
    PM me if you would like a price. we are located in Dublin 22.

thanks.

Hi Dutchie, what I would be looking for would have to be 1-1.5mm inner diameter. The outer diameter would preferably be 4-6mm (so that it's wall is thick enough to tap with an M4 bolt)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hi Dutchie, what I would be looking for would have to be 1-1.5mm inner diameter. The outer diameter would preferably be 4-6mm (so that it's wall is thick enough to tap with an M4 bolt)

PM me I might be able to pick something up in work that would fit the bill. I live in Naas aswell so I'll have a look on Monday and get back to you.
    PM me your number, how much do you need?

• Advertisement

Hey, thanks for the offer Lex. I'm doing the rounds of Portlaoise tomorrow to see if I can find anything in Telfords / Homebase / all the usuals.... I'll let you know how I get on...

Okay not much in Portlaoise that helped. The steel guy was closed on Saturday as well.. This might help make it cleared what I'm trying to do.

This coupler that this guy makes is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for except for the fact that my motor shaft is smaller.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQtiN5Tq9HQ

I've looked up the specs for the motor and the shaft dimension is apparently 2.3mm, (not ~1.5mm that I thought it was).

Okay after further research.... It seems what I'm looking for is a "tapped metric dowel".

www.boneham.co.uk/shop/product/tapped_metric_dowel_pins

All I would need to do is slide the shaft through the M3 tapped metric dowel.. Then tap the dowel from the top and bottom to clamp the shaft in place. Now I just need to find one...

I never thought it would be so hard to find something so simple !!

Okay, after further further investigating.... I remembered from my audio work that the smaller headphone jack is 2.5mm, and I know that there are couplers available for the 3.5mm female to 3.5mm female. So I did a search for a 2.5mm female to 2.5mm female coupler, and I reckon this will do the job.

AV15350-40.jpg

Just have to find a few other things on Farnell that make it worth my while paying the shipping.

Advertisement