Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External insulation

• 08-10-2015 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Anybody got any idea of the going rate per metre for external insulation being charged by contractors at the moment, I got a quote that worked out about €80 per metre to do my mothers house. Even allowing for the grants it still a lot more expensive than I thought.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

That's cheap!
    I would be skeptical if it's for a proper job (e.g. going down at least 600mm below ffl, up past the soffit to meet roof insulation etc).
    Normal price would be in the region of 100 to 140 per m2 depending on insulation thickness, insulation type, house type, access etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

External insulation is expensive.

Internal is cheaper.

It's a whole other debate as to which one is better value.

Wheety wrote: »

Internal is cheaper.

Is it?

Have you factored in the following in a retrofit situation:
    1. you have major disruption internally so much so that you may need to move out and pay rent and possibly storage for your stuff elsewhere.
    2. extra cost of moving services (electrical cabling & sockets, central heating piping etc)
    3. Re-decorating costs
    4. if you have a fitted kitchen on the external wall, what do you do there?
    5. the "cost" of loss of internal space i.e. you are making the internal space smaller which may have an impact on the value of your property.

Wheety wrote: »

It's a whole other debate as to which one is better value.

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I've did DIY insulation,internal and external.
    Didn't do the front external,way too expensive.
    Internal is messy,expensive and very time consuming,external is faster,cleaner and reliant on weather.

Both expensive but very good living conditions once completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

My uncle got the external insulation done cottage 10mx8m single story it was roughly 13k
    Can definitely notice the difference house heats up a lot quicker and holds the heat longer.

Advertisement