Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slate vents

Options
  • 29-09-2015 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi I had condensation in my attic last year and I was told by engineer to install slate vents which I did. recently I noticed sot coming in attic true one of the vents. Can I do anything to stop this other than remove vent.

Thanking you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Remove and fit soffit ventilation or over-fascia ventilation or if they are too high up the roof. lower them.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

Remove and fit soffit ventilation or over-fascia ventilation or if they are too high up the roof. lower them.

Replacing with over fascia or soffit vents won't give the desired result. The soffit vent is low level ventilation and the slate vent provide high level ventilation. Combined the two create a cross draft through the roof space allowing plenty of circulation. If the soot is coming in and if the chimney is on one side of the roof put the roof vents on the opposite side of the roof so the ridge line shields it from smoke. Failing this maybe a ventilated ridge system would work better. If you go down the vented ridge path explain your problem to the supplier and ask their advice because changing the ridge is a good bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

cork2 wrote: »
    Replacing with over fascia or soffit vents won't give the desired result. The soffit vent is low level ventilation and the slate vent provide high level ventilation. Combined the two create a cross draft through the roof space allowing plenty of circulation. If the soot is coming in and if the chimney is on one side of the roof put the roof vents on the opposite side of the roof so the ridge line shields it from smoke. Failing this maybe a ventilated ridge system would work better. If you go down the vented ridge path explain your problem to the supplier and ask their advice because changing the ridge is a good bit of work.

Thanks a lot for your help. I have vents on both sides of roof and will remove them from problem side

Advertisement