Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to replace a glass pane in a Velux window?

Options
  • 19-02-2013 1:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

How hard is it to replace a glass pane in a Velux roof window/skylight??

Can someone handy at DIY do it themselves?

Anyone able to give a step by step process how to swap out 1 pane for another?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mp22 wrote: »

Thats it indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

paddy147 wrote: »
    How hard is it to replace a glass pane in a Velux roof window/skylight??

Can someone handy at DIY do it themselves?

Anyone able to give a step by step process how to swap out 1 pane for another?

what happened paddy
    any pics
    there is a known fault with some velux windows(i read it on boards somewhere)

meercat wrote: »
    what happened paddy
    any pics
    there is a known fault with some velux windows(i read it on boards somewhere)

Nothing happened..Mine are fine..perfect in fact.Kids regulary have a solar blind grand prix race in our bedroom to see whos Velux blind opens the fastest.:D

My friend out in Malahide is looking at upgrading his old velux window from the normal glass to a tripple glazed pane,to help him with noise reduction and heat retention.
    He was asking me how easy I thought it was to do this (diy) and I honestly didnt know.

So hense me asking here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

cheers paddy
    replaced a broken velux glass (like for like)as a favour for a builder
    simple enough job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I've changed out 3 now in our house and had somebody else do the other two.

The first one is a 2 hour job, then next ones are an hour each. Thats a like for like panel though than any upgrades which might need modifications.

You will need methylated spirits or alcholol wipes.

I've changed out 3 now in our house and had somebody else do the other two.

The first one is a 2 hour job, then next ones are an hour each. Thats a like for like panel though than any upgrades which might need modifications.

You will need methylated spirits or alcholol wipes.

Does the glass pane get changed/swapped out from the inside of the Velux frame from the outside of the frame??

Outside.

You remove the sash unit from the frame, then strip the exterior frame and pull out glass that way. Remove old sealant, clean down the frame and glass, apply new sealant and put it all back together again.

Outside.

You remove the sash unit from the frame, then strip the exterior frame and pull out glass that way. Remove old sealant, clean down the frame and glass, apply new sealant and put it all back together again.

Thanks for that.:)

I hope my friend does notice a difference so when he goes to that bother and swaps his old pane out for a tripple glazed unit.:pac:

Outside.

Can I pick your brains on this matter again please.:)

Apart from the Velux glass pane itself,is there anything else that you need to buy??

Any other Velux window parts needed to change the pane out??

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can I pick your brains on this matter again please.:)

Apart from the Velux glass pane itself,is there anything else that you need to buy??

Any other Velux window parts needed to change the pane out??

Thanks.

Nope.

Paddy, you'll do it without any hassle as I'm sure that you're handy. There's nothing difficult lurking.

dodzy wrote: »
    Nope.

Paddy, you'll do it without any hassle as I'm sure that you're handy. There's nothing difficult lurking.

So only the replacement glass pane and some silicone sealent is required??

No other Velux window parts are needed or need to be replaced??

The velux kit has everything bar meth spirits.

It comes with the new pane of glass and the bonding needed.

Velux do a refurb kit for old windows, comes with new grease, new air filter and foam seal on the vent too. €25 or something.

Again, depending on age, you might get a rounded screw or something, so be prepared. Mine are 25 years old and i had 3 screws damaged across 5 windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ricadao

Hi all, can you tell me where in Dublin can I buy an inner glass pane for my Velux so I can replace it myself? the window is pretty old, I guess around 15 years, it's a GGL C02, but when I asked for a quote on some internet website they came back with 350-400€ plus VAT...
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

ricadao wrote: »
    Hi all, can you tell me where in Dublin can I buy an inner glass pane for my Velux so I can replace it myself? the window is pretty old, I guess around 15 years, it's a GGL C02, but when I asked for a quote on some internet website they came back with 350-400€ plus VAT...
    Thanks!
    I sent you a pm with info

• Registered Users Posts: 1 summitreached

Hi, Can you send me the contact details also please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi, Can you send me the contact details also please?
    Hi i sent you a pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Jim1000

please send me the pm too masey. Thanks a lot

Advertisement