Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTPI expansion?

• 23-01-2015 12:07pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It looks like some new RTPI poles and screens are being put up!

A RTPI pole (no screen yet) has appeared next to my local bus stop :D Not sure if it is a once off or a wider expansion.

I was always surprised that my local bus stop didn't get a RTPI screen as it is a very busy stop * much, much busier then some other stops that got screens long ago.

* Busy enough that the NTA thinks it should be a BRT stop close by.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Which begs the question - given that the buses are all equipped with GPS, does DB track how many people get on at each stop and use that to determine which stops warrant an RTPI display? Or is it an NTA decision and if it is, what metric do they use?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

coylemj wrote: »
    Which begs the question - given that the buses are all equipped with GPS, does DB track how many people get on at each stop and use that to determine which stops warrant an RTPI display? Or is it an NTA decision and if it is, what metric do they use?

Im sure Alek or one of the other DB drivers can confirm, but I believe DB don't currently have the ability to track how many people board at each stop.

Currently the GPS and DB ticket machines aren't linked, so the ticket machine doesn't know it's location. I believe they plan to do this, but it hasn't been implemented yet *

* Actually this project seems to have been delayed for more then a year, I wonder is it because the DB ticket machines are already struggling with Leap and thus this would be too much for them or perhaps they are waiting for the new ticket machines which are rumoured to come this year.

I believe the driver is meant to manually update his location at each bus stop. However if you ever look at your ticket, this can often be a few stops off, so I'm not sure how accurate the data would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The ticket machine (if properly updated) does provide more than sufficient data about the numbers boarding at each stage, but not each stop.

There is no connection between the GPS equipment and the ticket machine currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lxflyer wrote: »
    The ticket machine (if properly updated) does provide more than sufficient data about the numbers boarding at each stage, but not each stop.

There is no connection between the GPS equipment and the ticket machine currently.
    cant track how many get off. Sime software linked to the door camera could do the job

ted1 wrote: »
    cant track how many get off. Sime software linked to the door camera could do the job

Well I'd imagine for the purposes of deciding what stops need an RTPI display, the numbers boarding would be the important data?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The ticket machine (if properly updated) does provide more than sufficient data about the numbers boarding at each stage, but not each stop..

I always thought every stop the driver updated something by pressing a button?

But back to the original question, is this data gathered by the machines used in any way?

Absolutely - it provides data on numbers boarding at locations so at the very least can be used for route planning (assuming similar numbers get off at the stops in the opposite direction).

My point was once the driver has kept the ticket machine updated then the data is valid, and most of the time in my experience they do to be fair.

No I mean is the data used in RTPI pole planning or is it completely ignored?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have noticed some new ones been fitted in places I didn't think would be of that much use as the stops wouldn't be very busy from my experience.

Even if every bus stop was fitted there would be people still giving out.

One thing I learnt very quick with working with the public is you are always wrong and everything is our fault.

n97 mini wrote: »
    No I mean is the data used in RTPI pole planning or is it completely ignored?

Yes - I would imagine it was - it's the old hard data they have. It's not ideal but it would provide a useful guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Well I'd imagine for the purposes of deciding what stops need an RTPI display, the numbers boarding would be the important data?
    Why put in limited technology when you can gather so much more data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's important to point out the nta have erected several poles for rtpi signs before they were sure they could power the displays with electricity....

putting in ulimited technology limited by reality....

ted1 wrote: »
    Why put in limited technology when you can gather so much more data

I have no idea what you're on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I always thought every stop the driver updated something by pressing a button?
    This is them updating the stage, it doesn't happen at every stop.
    But back to the original question, is this data gathered by the machines used in any way?
    Yes, it can be. For the purposes of something like this, you don't have to track every single journey. What they can do is pick a random sample of journey and match the time stamps of the ticket machine and the GPS tracking.

The current expansion seems to be related to transfers stops and the Luas Cross City diversions. One of the issues with the initial rollout was that RTPI stops became busier and adjacent non-RTPI stops became less busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's important to point out the nta have erected several poles for rtpi signs before they were sure they could power the displays with electricity....

putting in ulimited technology limited by reality....

AFAIK they are self-powered (solar panel on top I assume) because in most cases there's no mains supply and there's no evidence of a trench where a supply was laid on. The bus shelters with illuminated advertising obviously have power but without digging a trench to the RTPI pole, they have to be self-powered.

I'm pretty sure they need an ESB connection - that's what held up many of them beig activated initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

OP you probably know this already - for dubBus stops without an RTPI display you can still get RTPI using the stop number and the various apps.
    (Obviously need a smartphone).

AFAIK they are self-powered (solar panel on top I assume) because in most cases there's no mains supply and there's no evidence of a trench where a supply was laid on. The bus shelters with illuminated advertising obviously have power but without digging a trench to the RTPI pole, they have to be self-powered.

You couldn't solar power a LED display 24x7 without a very noticeable panel. Cabling is usually run by digging horizontal holes. There's no need for trenches any more.

Some have a new ESB Networks mini-pillar while others are supplied from the bus shelter connection. The electricity suppliers are happy enough to supply electricity to street furniture without fitting a meter, as the energy use is fairly predictable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Grrhh, so earlier today I noticed that the new RTPI pole at my local bus stop is right next to the bus shelter, as in just 10cm away. Because of this, you won't actually be able to see the RTPI display when standing under the bus shelter as the majority of people do at this stop!!

Normally they place the RTPI screens a meter or two from the bus shelter, which means due to the angle you can see the screen. But they have clearly fecked up the placement of the screen at this stop.

Stupid, stupid :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bk wrote: »
    Grrhh, so earlier today I noticed that the new RTPI pole at my local bus stop is right next to the bus shelter, as in just 10cm away. Because of this, you won't actually be able to see the RTPI display when standing under the bus shelter as the majority of people do at this stop!!

Normally they place the RTPI screens a meter or two from the bus shelter, which means due to the angle you can see the screen. But they have clearly fecked up the placement of the screen at this stop.

Report it before it goes live? Better to do it now while it's just an inactive pole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Report it before it goes live? Better to do it now while it's just an inactive pole

Absolutely !

Remember the actual streetside infrastructure falls within the remit of Dublin City Council,who may not be all that well-tuned to the requirements of a Bus user.....This ain't TfL we're talking about here.......yet ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

bk wrote: »

Contact traffic@dublincity.ie and info@nationaltransport.ie

That problem is nothing new - that's the same at most bus shelters around the city as well as at every single LUAS stop.

That problem is nothing new - that's the same at most bus shelters around the city as well as at every single LUAS stop.

Lots of train stations have their signs blocked by other platform signage too.

Lots of train stations have their signs blocked by other platform signage too.

Doesn't make it excusable! Makes all the more shocking!

There is nothing stopping this particular RTPI screen being set back a meter or two.

Advertisement