Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTML5 Question

Options
  • 15-09-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I have a basic understanding of HTML/CSS/FTP and use these skills to update my small business website. Which is a static HTML site.

I am hoping to build a new site for my business and want to use a HTML5 mobile responsive template that I have found online.

However when I open the local (offline) HTML5 files in my browser all I can see is text content without any styling.

Does HTML5 editing work very differently to normal HTML hard coding?
    Thanks,
    Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Are you using an external .css file? Do a search in the source code for ".css" and that's where your styling code is probably lurking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aztech

However when I open the local (offline) HTML5 files in my browser all I can see is text content without any styling.

Does HTML5 editing work very differently to normal HTML hard coding?
    Thanks,
    Al

HTML5 & CSS works the same way as HTML and CSS has always worked. Select "View Source" in your browser to make sure the HTML file can see the CSS file (or any other image files etc), that would be the best place to start. In chrome, you should be able to click all external references from the View Source tab. Hitting F12 might also give you some valuable information if there are script errors or resources missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭businessdit

OK thanks all this has helped me get a preview in the browser.

There is a background image hat I want to change - I have removed all of the old images from the images folder and the image still remains the same.

Is there another area that the image could be stored for HTML5?

Thanks,
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

Try clearing the history and cache of the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aztech

Your content may be caching. Try deleting your internet history, hitting refresh and see if the image still persists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Internet history and cache are two different things. Just press ctrl+F5 to force a full refresh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

The image could also be linked externally. Check the css for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Right-click > Inspect Element to see where it is/the call is pointed at.

Advertisement