Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost laptop & camera - left in a taxi in Dublin

Options
  • 29-03-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

(Mods: thread about this is also in the Dublin forum, but I feel it is also relevant to this forum)

I'm hoping you could help me track down some items I left on the back seat of a taxi on the 28th - a laptop & Canon camera + lenses.

I work in independant filmmaking, and these are essential items which I will struggle to replace.

Additional info: I hailed the taxi at approx. 1:30am on 28th March on Amiens Street (at the junction with Buckingham Street), and got off in Elm Mount, Beaumont.
    All I know about the driver is that his middle name is Innocent (an apt name I hope) and was from Biafra/Nigeria.

It's a black MSI laptop (containing all my family photos, and much work-related stuff) and a Canon 550D camera with lenses & memory cards.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated they are expensive but moreover personally important equipment.

PS: I have been in contact with all the Garda lost & found offices in Dublin, to no avail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Chance of getting your item back is slim to none as the next person in the taxi could have taken them if the driver was unaware. You could try ringing around Taxi firms on the off chance that he was a radio Taxi for one of them the base might know the name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭fullgas

This wont work in practice but you could find out who the driver was by getting a Garda to look at CCTV of your journey home, getting their reg number and cross referencing it with the new taxi driver app:

http://transportforireland.ie/taxi/check-if-a-taxi-driver-is-properly-licensed/

Your best bet though is to report it lost to your insurance company and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

face1990 wrote: »
    (Mods: thread about this is also in the Dublin forum, but I feel it is also relevant to this forum)

I'm hoping you could help me track down some items I left on the back seat of a taxi on the 28th - a laptop & Canon camera + lenses.

I work in independant filmmaking, and these are essential items which I will struggle to replace.

Additional info: I hailed the taxi at approx. 1:30am on 28th March on Amiens Street (at the junction with Buckingham Street), and got off in Elm Mount, Beaumont.
    All I know about the driver is that his middle name is Innocent (an apt name I hope) and was from Biafra/Nigeria.

It's a black MSI laptop (containing all my family photos, and much work-related stuff) and a Canon 550D camera with lenses & memory cards.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated they are expensive but moreover personally important equipment.

PS: I have been in contact with all the Garda lost & found offices in Dublin, to no avail.

You should give it a few days for the item to be left into lost and found; the driver or a well meaning passenger may not have gotten a chance to leave it into a Garda station for reporting. Alternatively, contact the taxi office of the NTA on Tuesday and see if they can make contact with the driver based on the bit of his name you have. With a bit of luck these should help turn up your wares :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Sorry to hear about that OP.
    Always always always ,get a printed receipt from a driver .This will show the time of your journey ,the price ,and the drivers plate number and reg.,
    I wish you well in getting your items ,but I wouldn't hold my breath :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Slunk, Innocent was my driver's middle name. i.e. the middle name on his taxi licence. Is it that guys first name?

But yeah I'm hoping his unusual name might help me track him down.

Thanks for the help everyone, I've been contacting radio stations and taxi companies for the last few days, getting the word out.
    But as times goes on it seems less and less likely that I'll be recovering my stuff, and I have also started contacting second hand electronics shops and pawn shops just in case.

Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

face1990 wrote: »
    Slunk, Innocent was my driver's middle name. i.e. the middle name on his taxi licence. Is it that guys first name?

But yeah I'm hoping his unusual name might help me track him down.

Thanks for the help everyone, I've been contacting radio stations and taxi companies for the last few days, getting the word out.
    But as times goes on it seems less and less likely that I'll be recovering my stuff, and I have also started contacting second hand electronics shops and pawn shops just in case.

Fingers crossed!

Well I ran his number through the drivers check app and his car is a red Nissan almera. That sound familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

The car I was in was dark coloured, either black or a dark blue. It was nighttime and I wasn't really paying attention to the car unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Did the laptop have any remote login software running on it. The likes of logmein

It's a long shot but if it did cheek to see if its been online since it went missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to the NTA taxi office. www.nationaltransport.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement