Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap Card + Dublin Bus tickets

Options
  • 26-03-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Just a heads up to all not sure if this is old news. The shop i work in. our payzone machine got an update this afternoon after which we now have the option to put Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann tickets onto leap cards ie Travel 90 and 30 day rambler just two that i remember. So this must be going live fairly soon.

Just been on to leap.ie in card history section there is now two options. 1 Travel Credit History Information. 2 Ticket History Information.

Must try put bus ticket on my card tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So if I put a Travel90 ticket on my Leap Card and validate the Leap card against the reader, how does it know whether to dock me €2.45 cash or one of my Travel90 journeys?

Maybe they will do it in post-processing overnight when the machine data is uploaded - if I did multiple journeys within 90 minutes it will count that as one journey off my Travel90 ticket and reimburse me the cash it deducted on each of the bus trips?

I'm thinking there are going to be all sorts of teething problems with this, I'm sticking with the paper Travel90 ticket for now, in fact I think I'll order a few of them right now online.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

Not 100% sure but the way it was explained in the past here on boards is that if you just scan it on the right hand validator it will act as a travel 90 ticket but shorter journeys you will have to go to the driver and it wil just be a cash deduction from your card as it is now. but if not as you said there will be many probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Ya I thought the whole point of Leap was that it will act as a smart card, ie deduct the best value fare appropriate to your journey. There's no reason to think this won't be the case.

I'm assuming that this update this morning had something to do with the reason why every Leap agent this morning was unable to process top ups. I went to two different shops that were both unable to do it and a colleague in work had the same problem. Poor timing that it should result in a service outage during the morning rush hour.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I would assume that it would deduct the cheapest option.

So I assume it would deduct the Travel 90, rather then the maximum fare.

Will be handy, I'll add a Travel 90 to my card for the odd day that I go further or use the bus twice and the wallet for most other transactions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think the validators will check for tickets loaded onto the cards, prior to deducting credit from it.

Would be the easiest way to go about it.

Although, I would have thought the T90 would be irrelevant to Leapcard considering "Capping" and whenever that'll be rolled out to Dublin Bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I was only going to buy a 30 day today. What shop are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

Bit of a strange one manager told us were not allowed to sell the bus tickets until next week. She says it due to our it systems not having it set up to scan at the tills. but steve try anywhere else that use payzone machines

curryman wrote: »
    Bit of a strange one manager told us were not allowed to sell the bus tickets until next week. She says it due to our it systems not having it set up to scan at the tills. but steve try anywhere else that use payzone machines

I'll hold off until next week so. Thanks for the info, I've been waiting for this for a long time now!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A number of Payzone agents were enabled to allow products to be tested. Nothing is being rolled out yet.

Victor wrote: »
    A number of Payzone agents were enabled to allow products to be tested. Nothing is being rolled out yet.

Any chance of the public getting onto the trial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Any chance of the public getting onto the trial?

I'd be happy if the Busdrivers got a bit of a heads-up too....:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I'd be happy if the Busdrivers got a bit of a heads-up too....:eek:

In fairness it will probably be straight forward and no different for the driver. If you want to pay using travel credit go to the driver as usual or if you wish to use your ticket use the validator as you would as with a paper ticket.

I noticed Summerhill's readers all have stickers on them with "District 45" written on them. They seem to give a different sound when validating a ticket now. I wonder has this got something to do with the trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Stevek101 wrote: »
    In fairness it will probably be straight forward and no different for the driver. If you want to pay using travel credit go to the driver as usual or if you wish to use your ticket use the validator as you would as with a paper ticket.

I noticed Summerhill's readers all have stickers on them with "District 45" written on them. They seem to give a different sound when validating a ticket now. I wonder has this got something to do with the trial?

There will,of course,be issues which will require Driver interaction,even if it's only an imperious wave of the hand.

Even now with an acceptably high Leap read-failure rate on TIM's there is a wide difference in Driver reaction,largely due to no clear instructions on the correct response.

It appears that The Summerhill issue may be part of a survey to identify and nail down the precise reasons for failures,which,I would suspect,means there is now a noticable revenue problem existing.

There is a perception,that the TGX Ticket Machine is now at it's limit in terms of transactions,with a concurrent Rambler and Leapcard placement now often causing the machine to freeze Leapcard transactions.

What effect the enabling of further transaction types on the Leapcard framework will have is going to be interesting to see.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Summerhill is the test depot for all testing

Capping is currently under test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There will,of course,be issues which will require Driver interaction,even if it's only an imperious wave of the hand.

Even now with an acceptably high Leap read-failure rate on TIM's there is a wide difference in Driver reaction,largely due to no clear instructions on the correct response.

The few times I've noticed the validator by the door not working, I've paid my fare on the ticket machine. The thing that stands out there, is that it's an extra hassle for people looking to pay the 13 stage fare, mixing in with those paying cash/incremental stage fares.

Although, I think the policy on how to manage that would be up to Dublin Bus themselves. As it'll be a passenger issue on their services.
    There is a perception,that the TGX Ticket Machine is now at it's limit in terms of transactions,with a concurrent Rambler and Leapcard placement now often causing the machine to freeze Leapcard transactions.

What effect the enabling of further transaction types on the Leapcard framework will have is going to be interesting to see.

I've seen that as well once. Driver didn't seem to interested to take the transaction on his ticket machine either. Kinda wondering whether or not he'd of been able to. Got me thinking "is the memory on those validators independent of the ticket machine?" as that was the main hold up regarding online topups.

You would see more transactions being used up there when it comes to the auto topups as well.

Went with the old school smart card. It's a shame was looking forward to putting a ticket on the Leap. Make the wallet a bit tidier...

Advertisement