Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to stop en route to Cork?

Options
  • 28-03-2013 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I hope this is in the correct place. I'm travelling to Cork from Dublin for the weekend. I'll have two toddlers with me. Just wondered where would be a good place to stop for food on the way that wouldn't take me too far off the motorway? Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

portlaoise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Midway food court Port Laoise or McDonalds Cashel

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Countdown1982

horse and jockey, food is nice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

Thank you for your replies. As a matter of interest, to get to Mc Donald's in Cashel which would be the best exit to take for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

The Wife wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies. As a matter of interest, to get to Mc Donald's in Cashel which would be the best exit to take for it?

Junction 8 on the M8 can't miss it, you will see it from the motorway. Easy to get to and to get back on motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

Junction 8 on the M8 can't miss it, you will see it from the motorway. Easy to get to and to get back on motorway.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If things were done "normally" in Ireland there would be services areas on the M8 at least 2 on the M8 once it leaves the M7 but hey in Ireland everything gets done backwards, hopefully in 10 years we may just have service areas. Although the M9 is much worse than the M8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    If things were done "normally" in Ireland there would be services areas on the M8 at least 2 on the M8 once it leaves the M7 but hey in Ireland everything gets done backwards, hopefully in 10 years we may just have service areas. Although the M9 is much worse than the M8.

There is a planning application being submitted for one outside Fermoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

My point is that all these planning applications for all motorways should of being completed and service areas opened when the motorways did not years after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I would also recommend horse and jockey. It's roughly half way and just a few hundred yards off the motorway. Good place for kids to run around for a while and the food is decent.

Also fwiw hate those motorway service stations. Soulless places serving overpriced muck.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

the one at j8 is services to all intents and purposes....fuel and food, what more do you need?

How many would you expect a short motorway like the M8 to support?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Anyone else think that this is a bit useless. If you have left Cork you are not in any immediate need for services, and if you were coming from Dublin, you are so close to the finish line (if Cork is the end of your journey) that you probably wont waste 30 minutes of a stop, when you are only 30 minutes from the end. Better to have one mid way up the road.

not all of us only travel to the City...it's many many miles from West Cork to Fermoy and ideal fro a stop. Lots of us in Cork and Kerry are very poorly served by the motorway system, I myself (in North Cork) am nearly an hour from the M8 or M7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

murphym7 wrote: »
    Anyone else think that this is a bit useless. If you have left Cork you are not in any immediate need for services, and if you were coming from Dublin, you are so close to the finish line (if Cork is the end of your journey) that you probably wont waste 30 minutes of a stop, when you are only 30 minutes from the end. Better to have one mid way up the road.

a lot of trucks using M8 will originate outside the city in East or West Cork, often an hour or two hours from the start of the motorway in dunkettle so that location would suit them.

Advertisement