Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting a Mercedes-Benz 709D into a camper van

Options
  • 15-06-2010 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am converting a 1994 Mercedes-Benz 709D 20 seater bus into a camper van. (see photos attached). It is 3,700kg and has a 2-axle-rigid-body.
    Would I'd be right in saying that I can't drive it with my D license? (I got my provisional D license today btw).
    What class of a vehicle will I register it as once finished?
    I intend to use it in Europe, what problems am I likely to encounter?
    thanks,
    P Curtis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Max210

CurtisPadd wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am converting a 1994 Mercedes-Benz 709D 20 seater bus into a camper van. (see photos attached). It is 3,700kg and has a 2-axle-rigid-body.
    Would I'd be right in saying that I can't drive it with my D license? (I got my provisional D license today btw).
    What class of a vehicle will I register it as once finished?
    I intend to use it in Europe, what problems am I likely to encounter?
    thanks,
    P Curtis

Do you know you can get parts for 709d looking for wheel arch , I have 1989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 batskat

The UK car drivers I gather thier car licence is good to 7000 kilos unlike our ROI version limited to 3500kg

So as far as I can see they can drive that van on the car drivers licence ( I could be wrong so you need to check )

Would seem to me if its correct its no brainer to get UK address change the irish driving licence to british car licence and change the van reg to British reg then drive the thing under UK insurance .
    The UK car insurance often covers travel in europe with break down assist at fairly cheap prices.

Batskat

Max210 wrote: »
    Do you know you can get parts for 709d looking for wheel arch , I have 1989

Parts are still in production.
    I'd rebuild it. Are you after a skirt or body panelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

batskat wrote: »
    The UK car drivers I gather thier car licence is good to 7000 kilos unlike our ROI version limited to 3500kg

So as far as I can see they can drive that van on the car drivers licence ( I could be wrong so you need to check )

Would seem to me if its correct its no brainer to get UK address change the irish driving licence to british car licence and change the van reg to British reg then drive the thing under UK insurance .
    The UK car insurance often covers travel in europe with break down assist at fairly cheap prices.

Batskat

nope; same as ours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Tigger wrote: »
    nope; same as ours

If you passed your UK practical car test (licence category B) before 1 January 1997 you would automatically also acquire licence categories BE, C1, C1E, D1 and D1E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

moodrater wrote: »
    If you passed your UK practical car test (licence category B) before 1 January 1997 you would automatically also acquire licence categories BE, C1, C1E, D1 and D1E.

And in The RoI the change over date was over seven years earlier, 13th. November 1989.

From that date passing a car test only gets a B Licence which only allows driving of vehicles up to 3,500kg GVW and passenger vehicles with not more than 8 passenger seats.
    Since 01/01/1997 the UK is the same as The RoI and the rest of Europe, it's another EU harmonisation thing.

BTW, unlike The UK our 'old' (pre 13/11/1989) licence didn't include D & D1

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Max210

Parts are still in production.
    I'd rebuild it. Are you after a skirt or body panelling?

no floors panel under driver area, do you know where is the best place to get parts finding it hard to get on line , need new bulbs and new back brake line also, novice at this and few more bits and bobs

tia

Welder suppliers for sheet metal. Motor factors for brake line and flaring tool.
    I use a lot of chequer plate which I get in 8 x 4 sheets from Amari.

The bad news is the reason your floor is rotten is because the runoff of the roof has eaten through the firewall. Have a look behind your screen wash bottle and the HVAC intake.

Advertisement