Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Power Systems (BEng Honours Degree)

Options
  • 14-01-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey,

Just wondering could any one spread some light on this topic.

I am currently finishing my Ord Degree in DIT in Electrical and Control Eng(DT009)
    I would like to go on and get an Hons Degree but by doing the course in CIT it will only take 1 year compared to 2 in DIT or UCD.
    The question I have is,that as far as I know that the course in CIT isnt accredited by Engineers Ireland....does this make much of a difference in the long run or starting out??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Might be a better chance of an answer here. Thread moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 moveoverrover

Hey

Unfortunately the DIT honours degree is no longer enough for charter-ship from engineers Ireland as of 2013. Which is a bummer, it is now a requirement to have a masters from an accredited list of colleges or university courses.

Is the CIT degree a Bacholer of Science or engineering , this can be the difference between them and the Bacholer of Eng may be more favourable to future employers.

You should also look at the subject topics offered, depending of course on what sector you wish to go down and make an informed decision this way. The jump from level 7 to 8 in my experience is huge and was something I was not expecting.

By the way the ordinary degree you have now is a very good qualification, alas there are not too many opportunities in Ireland presently but if you wished to travel you could get by on this degree.

Hopes this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Neither will get you chartered, but you may learn more in the two year course.

On the other hand, it all comes down to experience, so taking the 1 year route will help you get working faster.

Both would secure access to a masters program

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Biter2000

Thanks for all that lads but does having a degree that is accredited make much of a difference?? Gaining employment?

I know you need to have an accredited degree plus experience or a masters to become a chartered engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

There are no degrees that qualify for chartership anymore. It's all lvl9 and up per the bologna accord.

Chartership is pointless for many things but crucial for some. You will certainly find work without it but If you planning on tendering for government contracts or heading up big projects (especially abroad) you will need to be chartered.

It's generally more for civil than electrical.

My 2 cents would be to get out in the field and work as fast as you can with a lvl 8. With a bit more experience under your belt, maybe go back to education for a year then to fill in the gaps that became apparent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Having done some research on this lately I learned that you can get chartered based on experience as well as via college qualification and that it's easier to get chartership in the UK than it is in Ireland.

That info came from a friend who did electrical power systems.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dermighty wrote: »
    Having done some research on this lately I learned that you can get chartered based on experience as well as via college qualification

Correct. I was told that directly by Engineers Ireland.
    They referred to it as the "mature route" to chartership. As expected it takes far longer to get chartered this way.

Advertisement