Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I find it more perplexing that Jones is getting all this hype now, when to my mind Smalling has been even more impressive, over a great deal many more games, and hasn't had anywhere near as much chatter about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

flahavaj wrote: »
    Smalling and Jones and to a lesser extent Walker looked head and shoulders above the rest of the England lads. Partly down to mediocrity and partly due to the manager making stupid decisons like playing Mancienne in the middle ahead of Cleverley.

I thought that decision was lunacy at the time and I'm sure I probably said it on here at some point.

But on reflection would the English FA not have to look at what is happening in the u21 set up and what is happening with u21 players in the PL, realise how unbelievably shíte Stuart Pearce is at what he does and fúck him out of there asap.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I find it more perplexing that Jones is getting all this hype now, when to my mind Smalling has been even more impressive, over a great deal many more games, and hasn't had anywhere near as much chatter about him.

Both have been excellent to date and have absolutely enormous potential for the future but there is just that something about Jones that has superstar written all over him, as well as being younger and more of a leader than Smalling I believe he just has more to his game at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

VW 1 wrote: »
    I thought that decision was lunacy at the time and I'm sure I probably said it on here at some point.

But on reflection would the English FA not have to look at what is happening in the u21 set up and what is happening with u21 players in the PL, realise how unbelievably shíte Stuart Pearce is at what he does and fúck him out of there asap.

Wildly off topic but it sums up the recurrent problems English football has at major tournaments when they have a neanderthal like Pearce in charge of an underage team.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Wildly off topic but it sums up the recurrent problems English football has at major tournaments when they have a neanderthal like Pearce in charge of an underage team.

Sorry for the OT it just really bugs me that the potential isnt realised because the people in charge are too stubborn or stupid to realise that changes need to be made and things arent as they were 10-15-20 years ago. We realise that as interested outsiders yet Pearce is getting paid a good wage to make good players look like they cant play football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sure Micheal Manciene is a great midfielder....a great pick by Pearce:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

dahat wrote: »

He's getting his games for Hamburg SV in the Bundesliga all the same, played the full 90 at the weekend.

He's a defender btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He's getting his games for Hamburg SV in the Bundesliga all the same, played the full 90 at the weekend.

Yeah, but the point was that he's a CB and was being played in midfield by Pearce because Smalling/Jones couldn't be displaced. It was a managerial decision that was clearly accommodating a player to the detriment of the team. I think he had previously made Mancienne captain and probably felt he had to get him into the side somehow. Shocking management.

Blatter wrote: »
    Yeah, but the point was that he's a CB and was being played in midfield by Pearce because Smalling/Jones couldn't be displaced. It was a managerial decision that was clearly accommodating a player to the detriment of the team. I think he had previously made Mancienne captain and probably felt he had to get him into the side somehow. Shocking management.

I agree thats shocking managment, why would he play a player out of position unnecessarily, pretty stupid and it shows Pearce's incapabilities as a manager.
    Also i dont think he is a good candidate to have been made captain before.

dahat wrote: »

Sarcasm dector back working again, continue:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

by the time the next world cup comes around england should be very strong contenders when you consider the amount of young english players now playing at top 6 clubs. pearce should have done much better than he has done with the u21's. england could have a team along these lines by 2014;
    hart
    jones
    smalling
    gary cahill
    walker

welbeck
    cleverley
    wilshere
    young

rooney
    sturridge
    Subs: andy carroll, henderson, martin kelly, walcott, mc eachran, conor wickham, adam johnson, milner, albrighton, ross barkley

its been a long time since so many young english players were playing key roles at top clubs in the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

meh, we talk ourselves up enough without you lot getting involved :pac:

on paper England usually look decent and have done for years. turning that into success is where we always fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

No way Welbeck should be at RW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Did very well there with sunderland when he was on loan.

G.K. wrote: »
    No way Welbeck should be at RW.
    i wasnt picking a team to win the world cup, just highlighting the strength of numbers;)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

G.K. wrote: »
    @OptaJoe Opta Sports
    22 - David de Gea has made more saves than any other Premier League goalkeeper this season. Tested. #mufc

Just to have a look at this stat.... Is anyone else concerned that DDG has had to make that many saves? For all the talk and hype regarding Jones and Smalling's attacking ability as defenders (practically all of which is justified IMO), is it leaving the defence a bit too exposed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Just to have a look at this stat.... Is anyone else concerned that DDG has had to make that many saves? For all the talk and hype regarding Jones and Smalling's attacking ability as defenders (practically all of which is justified IMO), is it leaving the defence a bit too exposed?

No. its more because of how he started out for us, with Dzekos goal and that he didn't look to confident, a lot of teams have been shooting from outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Doesn't matter, we're scoring four goals a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

if jones is england rb at the next world cup i will eat my body weight in tomato ketchup

btw i hate ketchup with a passion and feel ill at the sight of it:pac:

No. its more because of how he started out for us, with Dzekos goal and that he didn't look to confident, a lot of teams have been shooting from outside the box.
    first few league games were ridiculous the amount of long range shots teams were trying. vandervaart in particular was shooting from anywhere inside 40 yards. he hasnt had to make too many 1on1 saves which is a better indicator of our defending. let teams keep shooting from ridiculous angles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Quandary

redzerdrog wrote: »
    if jones is england rb at the next world cup i will eat my body weight in tomato ketchup

btw i hate ketchup with a passion and feel ill at the sight of it:pac:

More chance he'll be playing at Cb with Cahill on the bench. imo, Jones and Smalling are the future centre back pairing for both Utd and England.

Unashamedly biased as a Utd fan im sure, but screw it :)

Quandary wrote: »
    More chance he'll be playing at Cb with Cahill on the bench. imo, Jones and Smalling are the future centre back pairing for both Utd and England.

Unashamedly biased as a Utd fan im sure, but screw it :)

imo cahill is a level above both at this moment in time but who knows a lot can happen between now and then

to think 6 utd players will be starting for england at the next world cup is a bit stupid and incredibally biased to say the least

For the next wc you still have players like micah richards, baines, gibbs, dawson, johnson, milner, walcot, johnson, downing, carrol,lennon, jarvis, huddlestone, henderson, agbonlahor

imo cahill is a level above both at this moment in time but who knows a lot can happen between now and then

I strongly disagree, I think both Smalling and Jones are a level above Gary Cahill tbh.

Blatter wrote: »
    I strongly disagree, I think both Smalling and Jones are a level above Gary Cahill tbh.

they have the potential to be but at this moment they are not

imho of course

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

imho of course

Tbh I have to agree with this. As good as Jones and Smalling have been, they are still very inexperienced and still a long way off the finished article. It's great to be excited about some of the young players but sometimes people on here go overboard with the hype,

imho of course

We'll have to agree to disagree.

But I'm pretty confident that throughout the course of the season the two lads will prove to everyone that they are better than Gary Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Quandary

to think 6 utd players will be starting for england at the next world cup is a bit stupid and incredibally biased to say the least

For the next wc you still have players like micah richards, baines, gibbs, dawson, johnson, milner, walcot, johnson, downing, carrol,lennon, jarvis, huddlestone, henderson, agbonlahor

Based on how they are progressing right now, Rooney, Welbeck, Jones, Smalling and Cleverley would all be very likely candidates to start for England in the next WC.

Like you said, a lot can happen between now and then but if their progress continues then it's very likely all 5 would be starters.

Biased, yes maybe. But to say anyone who thinks this is stupid is just plain stupid really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

6 players?

Lads I expected better, your forgetting about Tunners and Ravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Based on how they are progressing right now, Rooney, Welbeck, Jones, Smalling and Cleverley would all be very likely candidates to start for England in the next WC.

Yeah Rooney really looks like a good prospect, definitely one to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

imho of course
    eugeneious wrote: »
    Tbh I have to agree with this. As good as Jones and Smalling have been, they are still very inexperienced and still a long way off the finished article. It's great to be excited about some of the young players but sometimes people on here go overboard with the hype,

Did either of ye watch Smalling last season? He barely put a foot wrong all year long. He's easily in the top 6 or so CB's in the league at this stage. When we talk about potential we are talking about him potentially going on to become the best CB in the world, because he's already one of the best in the premiership

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement