Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway sound barriers

Options
  • 04-08-2015 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Are councils obliged to provide sound barriers on motoways that run alongside residential areas?
    If so, is pestering the local politicians the best way to go about getting one built?
    There is a stretch of the M8 running alongside quite a few housing estates in Glanmire, Cork, and the noise can be quite bad at certain times of the day.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not as a matter of course however they can be put in as a planning requirement and often were. The Glanmire Bypass is so old its unlikely any such requirements existed.

However, after the fact, pestering your local TDs (and the councillors associated to them - not other ones, they can't do anything) is a good bet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    Not as a matter of course however they can be put in as a planning requirement and often were. The Glanmire Bypass is so old its unlikely any such requirements existed.

However, after the fact, pestering your local TDs (and the councillors associated to them - not other ones, they can't do anything) is a good bet.
    This road is also 100km/h (and quite difficult to do more) which means noise will be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Antarctica

The sound barriers make a massive difference, even at low speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

ac1977 wrote: »
    Are councils obliged to provide sound barriers on motoways that run alongside residential areas?
    If so, is pestering the local politicians the best way to go about getting one built?
    There is a stretch of the M8 running alongside quite a few housing estates in Glanmire, Cork, and the noise can be quite bad at certain times of the day.
    L1011 wrote: »

As marno21 mentions that is an old stretch of road so perhaps your estate came after the roadworks. In that case the planning requirement should have been on the developer to install them so you might have to follow the council on that basis assuming the estate has been taken in charge by the council at this stage.

No harm to follow both routes though, one might bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Be careful what you wish for guys. You might end up like in Poland where they put particularly ugly sound barriers everywhere, even in the countryside to protect few houses far away from the road.

kywBSYC.jpg

133588.jpeg

ekrany07.jpg

One of the reasons why I like driving in Ireland is relatively few ugly sound barriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ac1977

cargo wrote: »
    As marno21 mentions that is an old stretch of road so perhaps your estate came after the roadworks. In that case the planning requirement should have been on the developer to install them so you might have to follow the council on that basis assuming the estate has been taken in charge by the council at this stage.

No harm to follow both routes though, one might bite.

Right on both counts, it was built after the motorway, and council have it now - thanks, ill contact them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Geogregor wrote: »
    [...] You might end up like in Poland where they put particularly ugly sound barriers everywhere, even in the countryside to protect few houses far away from the road.

[...]

One of the reasons why I like driving in Ireland is relatively few ugly sound barriers.

Barriers are not for drivers, you aware of that? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

joujoujou wrote: »
    Barriers are not for drivers, you aware of that? :)

I know, but you have to strike right balance. I don't know situation in the place about which previous posters asked but Poland is cautionary tale.

We introduced so strict noise rules and regulations that all the road schemes were in recent years lined with hundreds of km of barriers. Often in the middle of nowhere, only because some single farms quite farm from the roads.

These barriers, in such numbers, cost actually quite a lot of money and they will add to the cost of maintenance too. The varieties used in Poland are also extremely tacky and unsightly, blighting countryside with more artificial structures than needed.

It became so absurd that finally rules in Poland got relaxed to cut numbers of barriers.

I don't mind barriers in urban environment but lining miles of rural highways with, often ugly, barriers might backfire.
    I really like Irish motorways rural feel with plants lining road than concrete or plastic walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In the case of Glanmire, the road opened about 1991, the houses were built around 2000 and it became a motorway around 2008. The speed limit didn't change, but traffic has increased.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,573606,574583,10,3

I wonder if there were any requirements in the planning permissions for the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Victor wrote: »
    I wonder if there were any requirements in the planning permissions for the houses.

I wonder if the houses comply with part E of the building regs... for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Be careful what you wish for guys. You might end up like in Poland where they put particularly ugly sound barriers everywhere, even in the countryside to protect few houses far away from the road.

<snip>

Far better than the residents having to put up with the noise. On the none motorway side, trees can be added to soften the visual impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ac1977

I wonder if the houses comply with part E of the building regs... for starters.
    monument wrote: »
    Far better than the residents having to put up with the noise. On the none motorway side, trees can be added to soften the visual impact.

I'd like to hear more about this 'Part E' of the building regs, if you anyone knows it. Does it relate to noise impact?

There's not too much of a visual impact, because the houses nearest the motorway & some trees block the view - the concern is much more about noise, not to mind the fact that children can gain direct access to the motorway by going through a field adjacent to the motorway/estate.

ac1977 wrote: »
    I'd like to hear more about this 'Part E' of the building regs, if you anyone knows it. Does it relate to noise impact?

http://www.environ.ie/en/TGD/#Full%20List%20of%20Technical%20Guidance%20Documents%201997%20-%202011

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

<snip>

Drove in Poland for the first time last April, nice motorways, nice speed limit 140kph. I must admit I thought that these barriers were there to reduce wind on the motorway. The few place where they were no barriers (for 1 or 2 km)I noticed high cross winds.

Folks, can we not quote the same photos multiple times?

Advertisement