Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alignment issue

Options
  • 27-03-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭

Hi, driving a 99 Fiesta. Failed the NCT on front axle alignment recently.

Had the tracking done (front wheels only) today. While driving home i noticed that the steering wheel is not centred while driving straight. It is about 6-8 degrees to the right

Rang the guy who did it, he reckoned with the car being old its probably just play in the steering rack

Does that sound right or even plausable?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

He didn't check the wheel was straight before finishing. If there's play in the rack, the symptoms would be different, rather than it just not being straight I would have though. I'm not expert though.

Moved to motors as it's not DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

I think your mechanic should loosen off your steering wheel and re align it, I know that would freak me out not being straight. The steering rack should not cause that in my opinion.

Track rod ends need replacing maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Big Davey wrote: »
    I think your mechanic should loosen off your steering wheel and re align it, I know that would freak me out not being straight. The steering rack should not cause that in my opinion.

As far as I understand, just changing the position of the steering wheel is not a remedy here, and has more to do with how the tracking was completed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Get a better mechanic.... The steering wheel should be centered and held in this position with a special tool during adjustment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Big Davey wrote: »

I believe the correct procedure is centre the steering rack properly by making sure the track rods are adjusted to the same length at both ends of the rack. There should be no reason to reposition the steering wheel unless it had been removed on previous occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Realigning the steering wheel is the lazy way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

biko wrote: »
    Realigning the steering wheel is the lazy way out.

And wrong:(

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

That's me told

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭sundodger5

slimjimmc is correct, the steering wheel should be locked in position and then equal adjustments made to both track rods until the correct angle is acheived.
    If adjustment is only done on one side the correct angle will be got but the steering wheel will be off centre.
    Back you go.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

No matter who aligns my Accord, the wheel always ends up a little to the right.....drives me nuts....same with my last one.

I've looked at the wheel when they lock it and its dead centre but on the road it's always slightly right. Could it be that the alignment is carried out in a completely flat surface but on the road the camber means that the wheel needs to be put slightly right to offset the bias from the camber??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If the wheel is still off center then the guy doesn't know what he's at IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

First, thanks for all the replies, and secondly a a belated update. My retest came up before I could go back to the guy.

Result? Failed again on the tracking, so rang the guy and got my money back. Next step, get the tracking done properly and (finally) pass the nct

Advertisement