Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medion Akoya MD96850 Widescreen Notebook in Aldi

Options
  • 15-08-2008 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭

Has anyone bought this notebook? It is on a special at Aldi but they dont open them up to let you see them and get a "feel" for it. however most of Aldi's stuff is great value and I was wondering about this.

I was wondering especially about the screen, how good is it - not necessarily graphics but is it of good quality and lwould last a few years. The reason I ask that is the screen on my current laptop has got very dark and difficult to read.

Overall, did anyone buy one and, if so, are you happy with the purchase?

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_6661.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No complaint about Medion. Have their externa; hard drive on my right hand side as i type. Its was high capacity when i got it (300GB) and very cheap at 100euro. The only thing I can say bad about it was it heats up a lot. But it runs great.

That laptop has good ram, good wireless and eSATA (for a faster connection with this said external actually :p) and 6 channel audio out (I so wish I had one of those :( )so it does have some nifty non-standard features. Good battery too. Looks a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Thanks for that Overheal. I just havent seen the laptop as there are none on display and it's a bit disconcerting paying out for something you havent seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wouldn't be surprised if you find they're all sold out when you go back! They don't normally get many of those special offer items in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you could surely tell the manager you would like to take a look at the laptop if not to touch but just to get a feel for the size shape and overall style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Eh, forgive me if this is in the link because I couldn't find it. How much does it weigh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mikewally

HI, I bought one of theses last thursday, looks great, set it up and was delighted with the purchase. the computer was flying, great for multi-tasking, then monday morning i switched it on and it was incredibly slow, it would not open up internet explorer then after a few minutes it completely froze. i then rebooted the whole thing and the problem was worse. this time none of the desktop links would appear on screen. after rebooting a 3rd time the screen was just blank.

i dont know much about laptops but this looks like a serious problem caused through no fault of mine, i have not downloaded anyhting so could not have got a virus. i was using the Works application most of the time.

THe worrying thing for me was when i tried calling the Medion customer service line - the irish number was out not working. also teh english number woud not connect. i went on my flatmates computer and got an alternative irish number from there - i tried ringing this and it said that calls were not allowed from my region!! (Dublin 7!) i packed it up and went into Aldi with my reciept. they told me that only the area manager can deal with items over €500 and there was only one for Dublin and he was on holidays in germany! so i've had to leave them my number and they promised he would call when he's back next monday. mean while i am seriously inconvenienced as i badly need the thing for work.

very frustrating to be honest, i only hope Aldi can give me a ful refund next week and i will purchase from a reputable brand. if anyone else has had similar problems or suggestions on what i should do please let me know. my advise is do NOT purchase one of these!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Markan

Hi Mike,

I bought one on Thursday too (they'd all gone by Fri. morning BTW).
    Like you my immediate delight was tempered by big freeze problems when I installed AVG - didn't want to use the supplied Bullguard as I've always used AVG.

I performed a system restore, and everything returned to nomal - albeit leaving me without antivirus protection.

Decided to give Bullguard a try; guess what, first time I tried to open a browser window it froze!

System restore again, and all's back to normal. I'm in the process of trying to find a patch/update that'll allow me to run antivirus... I'll let you know how I get on.

All this just leads me to the conclusion that it's a Vista Premium SP1 incompatibility issue rather than anything else.

Watch this space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 barbancourt

I bought one in Belgium, and had the same problem. Just removed Bullguard, and the problem was solved.
    Great value for money, and the battery is much better than some from other brands which are not purchasable for that price.

Advertisement