Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service Your LAPTOP!!

Options
  • 30-11-2005 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Make sure at least every nine months as a mini-service to check the following especially the fans(mine was clogged with dust).

Run "disk defragmenter" Start>Programs>Accessories>system tools>Disk defragmenter
    Use it to clean the drive.

Run "Disk Cleanup"
    Start>Programs>Accessories>system tools>Disk Cleanup
    Cleans Unused, big folders

Goto: Download.com, Download ANTI-VIRUS, SPYWARE & ADWARE TOOLS.

Run update Manager: Start>Control Panel>Security Center.

Run "Msconfig": Log into an admin account, Start Menu>RUN>MSCONFIG(into the box)>REMEMBER BE CAREFUL,ONE WRONG SETTING MAY DAMAGE COMPUTER Goto the startup option and remove whatever startup programs you do not want to start on the computer startup, This will speed-up the computer when it starts

Last of all forget the power downloaders, they are a waste of time and slow installation in some cases.

Right these are very important:
    Find where the fans are on your laptop and if possible open the screws around them, you will then see a metal case in which the fans are housed, open the case and depending on laptop model, age and circumstances there may be a whole pocket of dust from where it receives air.

If the screen dims, press the Function key(fn key) and the key at the top of the keyboard with a sunlight icon and an upwards facing arrow, press the two together, this should brighten screen.

Your Battery
    Remember heat is your batteries' biggest enemy, heat will reduce the life of your battery, one reason why fans should be kept clean

Dont turn up the volume too high, damages speakers

Want a chat bout it PM me,
    NevF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

nevf wrote:
    If the screen dims, press the Function key(fn key) and the key at the top of the keyboard with a sunlight icon and an upwards facing arrow, press the two together, this should brighten screen.

Ah gotta love noobs....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

nevf wrote:
    Want a chat bout it PM me

Speak geek to me babeé.

Thank you nevf:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Chuckle* dont be mean lads
    Doin well there nevf - have a look at the essential software sticky. There is a thing called autoruns that does the msconfig-page 5 safer and easier!
    Also links to the best free AV and anti spyware. Recommend Spybot,Adware,AVG,Sygate or zonealarm.Have a browse there is some great free gear in there:D

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

irlrobins wrote:
    Ah gotta love noobs....

Gotta love Nukem, he is just soooooo nice to noobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Hey nevf, Welcome to boards.

Just a quick question, from you post I'm guessing you fix these 'hot dust ridden laptops' for a price?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tom-d

nevf wrote: »
    Run "disk defragmenter" Start>Programs>Accessories>system tools>Disk defragmenter
    Use it to clean the drive.

Run "Disk Cleanup"
    Start>Programs>Accessories>system tools>Disk Cleanup
    Cleans Unused, big folders

NevF

Nev in my younger days:D I ran one of these cannot remember which 1 on my big old beast of a HP nx9105 laptop......ended up all shortcuts messed up and music all over the place......it was like someone opened up my filing cabinet and knocked it over!!!

Dont know what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One change I would make to that list is the order: the more free disk space you have, the better Defrag works, so free up all the space you can before running it. 15% free is the Microsoft recommendation, the more the merrier.

(However, you should never defragment Solid State Drives (SSDs). It's totally unnecessary, and only serves to shorten the SSD lifespan.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

You only do this once every 9 months?

I do it once a fortnight!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Soundman wrote: »
    You only do this once every 9 months?

I do it once a fortnight!

What the hell are you using your machine for that it needs defragging every forthnight? I abuse mine like nothing, regularly get my main system drive down to 20-30Mb (from 80Gb) and still only defrag every couple of months. I do a daily incremental backup though- and a weekly full backup (just over 5 terrabytes of errr stuff backed up......)

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Why not just run the defrag as a service, defrag should be run almost weekly at least to keep the drive ship shape!

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

smccarrick wrote: »
    What the hell are you using your machine for that it needs defragging every forthnight? I abuse mine like nothing, regularly get my main system drive down to 20-30Mb (from 80Gb) and still only defrag every couple of months. I do a daily incremental backup though- and a weekly full backup (just over 5 terrabytes of errr stuff backed up......)

S.

As MunsterCycling said, I run it so as to keep my drive running as well as I possibly can. I'm constantly adding, moving and deleting files so want to keep things running smoothly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

if you gotta be told that, please, for the LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT take a screwdriver to your laptop....in fact, just step away from your computer altogether and go watch the television or have a sandwich or something.... sheesh!

seriously, so NOT take a screwdriver to ur lappy unless your comfy with voiding your warrenty

Advertisement