Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product Key

Options
  • 15-10-2008 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone. I bought a laptop weeks ago and was able to use all Microsoft applications as normal, but now it has locked on me and insists that I have to enter the product key. The key is located on the bottom of my laptop and I have typed it in(definitely no mistake- it says product key followed by the 25 character code) but it keeps telling me that the code is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Is it the applications or the operating system thats asking for it? XP or Vista?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

DarkJager wrote: »
    Is it the applications or the operating system thats asking for it? XP or Vista?

The application, it pops up when I open a microsoft application. And it's Windows Vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Sounds like it gave you 30 days to register and you didn't do it....

Any options to "register now" over the internet or by phone??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Yep - same happened me - VERY annoying- I waited about 12 hours tried again and on what was the 5th 6th attempt went through!
    E - mail them maybe?

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    The application, it pops up when I open a microsoft application. And it's Windows Vista.

What application is it??.

• Advertisement

Feelgood wrote: »
    What application is it??.

Microsoft Word(I hope that's what you mean by applcation:pac:).
    Sounds like it gave you 30 days to register and you didn't do it....

Any options to "register now" over the internet or by phone??

Yeah that's about right, I didn't realise that it would lock on me, or that I had a product key.:pac: I'm looking into the second part of our post now...

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Common one this; the Laptop you bought came pre-installed with a 30 day trial of MS Office (Word, etc), which, as you've seen, will prompt you for the product key after the 30 days.

The product key on the bottom of your Lappie is the Vista key, needed if you even have to re-install the OS (which is why you are getting the "incorrect key" message)

In order to continue using Word, you'll need to buy the key from Microsoft; the details will normally be somewhere on the screen where you are entering the key.

Spocker wrote: »
    Common one this; the Laptop you bought came pre-installed with a 30 day trial of MS Office (Word, etc), which, as you've seen, will prompt you for the product key after the 30 days.

The product key on the bottom of your Lappie is the Vista key, needed if you even have to re-install the OS (which is why you are getting the "incorrect key" message)

In order to continue using Word, you'll need to buy the key from Microsoft; the details will normally be somewhere on the screen where you are entering the key.

Thanks chief, I have probably messed up in the long term but I was given a 60 day trial run just there so everything is working fine now. I'm just looking at the short term right now as I've got a lot of work to do in the next few days.

Thanks for the replys everyone.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Thanks chief, I have probably messed up in the long term but I was given a 60 day trial run just there so everything is working fine now. I'm just looking at the short term right now as I've got a lot of work to do in the next few days.

Thanks for the replys everyone.

Why not just use Open Office instead??. IT's FREE!!!. And actually in my opinion a lot better than Micro$oft office. It also supports Microsoft formats.

i.e. you can save an open office document that can be opened in word, excel etc and vice versa....

http://www.openoffice.org/

Feelgood wrote: »
    Why not just use Open Office instead??. IT's FREE!!!. And actually in my opinion a lot better than Micro$oft office. It also supports Microsoft formats.

i.e. you can save an open office document that can be opened in word, excel etc and vice versa....

http://www.openoffice.org/

Thanks for that mate, I'll definitely be using that from now on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement