Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting career in IT, need advice

Options
  • 28-03-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi lads,

I'm offering a job "Internship" as IT Technician. I graduated as a Software Developer. I like both of these jobs. Just wondering would it be easy to change from Technician to Developer if I change my mind and want to become a developer. Im 25 now. Or is it better to find internship in Software Development, and forget about IT Technician :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Unless you're in a very, very small company, these are very different roles.

No harm switching early on, but you should try to get an internship in something that you see a future in, as the experience of one won't count against the other.

E.g. 6 months IT Technician wouldn't stand to you when you want to get a job as a junior Software Developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NeoSD5

colm_c wrote: »
    Unless you're in a very, very small company, these are very different roles.

No harm switching early on, but you should try to get an internship in something that you see a future in, as the experience of one won't count against the other.

E.g. 6 months IT Technician wouldn't stand to you when you want to get a job as a junior Software Developer.

Its a big company. But I see the difference in salary between a Java Developer and IT Technician and its huge.

Of course programming is much harder, but I think that it would be better to start as Developer so I wont regret when I'l get max 25k with 2-3 years experience as IT Technician. Software Developers with same experience get around 35k. Correct me if I am worng

Advertisement