Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4x4 to pull double horse box.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

i have a kia sorrento and it easily pulls 2 horses in a 505 with no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I bought a Nissan Pathfinder during the summer and absolutely love it, 7 seater, very spacious. No problem towing, even around hills of Killegar. Got it for 8k, however it is a 2.5L engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

Anyone tried towing with Nissan Qashqai or Juke?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭fits

Don't! Those cars wouldn't be up to it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Bellemz wrote: »
    Anyone tried towing with Nissan Qashqai or Juke?

If you check the towing capacity of these cars, you'll find they're not suitable, for example the 2L Qashqai has a max capacity of 1400kg, so applying the 80% rule you shouldn't try pull more than 1120kg. As far as I can see the max capacity of the Juke (AWD version) is 1150kg, so applying the 80% rule you shouldn't try pull more than 920kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 norwegian fjord

I towed two horses for years in an Ifor Williams 505 trailer pulled by a Mitsubitshi long wheel based shogun 2.5 Sport. Never had any problems either on short or long trips. Loved the shogun and it was a very sad sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MedusaV8

Land Rover 110 is best for towing they are rated up to 3.5 ton. However the passenger comfort isn't great. I've towed with my 90 and it tows like there is nothing there. Most modern soft roader just aren't up to weight.

The New Qashqai 1.6Dci 4WD tows 1800kg apparently, which would cover a 505 and one horse... Just curious if anyone's done it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Hey - lookng for some advice. Have a very limited budget <€5k to get a reliable jeep to pull a 510 with two horses (16 & 15.2). Due to the year I have only been looking at Landcruisers (reliability a key factor) - however, due to the cost of the tax I am trying to suss out some cheaper alternatives. What would people reccomend from 2000-2004 for me?

Thanks

Mitsubishi would be a second choice to the Land Cruiser, a lot of my friends got a Patrols as they were a bit cheaper and are pretty happy.

Izuzu's seem to go forever but I've no experience in owning one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

a commercial would be the best option financially.
    we pulled a box with a SUZUKI GRAND VITAR - lovely jeep to drive/passenger in, and it just about had the power to pull

The problem with a car that old is reliability. My idea of a total nightmare would be breaking down with 2 horses in the box

Do you travel much/far?

I would reiterated that for pure power for towing you really can't beat a Land Rover 110 Defender. Even better if you can get a commercial. They are well up to towing 3.5 ton. I may be a little bias but my Defender is 21 years old and drove all round France last year without missing a beat. The will go on forever if looked after and serviced properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

Kia sorento commercial? Great jeep

aonb wrote: »
    a commercial would be the best option financially.
    we pulled a box with a SUZUKI GRAND VITAR - lovely jeep to drive/passenger in, and it just about had the power to pull

The problem with a car that old is reliability. My idea of a total nightmare would be breaking down with 2 horses in the box

Do you travel much/far?

I agree totally - I know some people have great things to say about 2.0L jeeps but I just feel a 2.5 or 3.0 will be the best option for reliability - especailly considering a load of up to 1400kg.

As for the travelling - want to be in a position to to be able to get to hunts approx 1.5hrs and 3hrs away over the winter and then in the summer want to get away to Donegal once or twice

lyoness wrote: »
    Kia sorento commercial? Great jeep

The Sorrento only has a braked pulling capacity of 1,580kg - don't think it is suitable for 2 handy sized horses.

The Sorrento only has a braked pulling capacity of 1,580kg - don't think it is suitable for 2 handy sized horses.

Depends on the year. Also the towing capacity is gone way down in the newer models. Mine has capacity of 2800kg and does it well.

fits wrote: »
    Depends on the year. Also the towing capacity is gone way down in the newer models. Mine has capacity of 2800kg and does it well.

What year and model is that out of interest?

2006 2.5 XE Automatic. Imported from UK. (cant remember anymore if capacity is 2.5t or 2.8t but its big)

Edit wrong on both counts, it has 3.5 tonne braked towing weight. http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/kia/sorento/station-wagon-2003/35069/

Edit appears I am wrong again this link says 2.8t. http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/kia/sorento/station-wagon-2003/24886/

So to summarise, I dont know but enough to pull a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Some of them aren't 4wd

elusiveguy wrote: »
    Some of them aren't 4wd

I think you are thinking of the Sportage, all new model sorentos are 4WD as standard and the budget being asked here is 5K so I don't think he is looking at the new model anyway

Mine has a towing capacity of 3500kg.

• Advertisement

Sorentos were always 4wd. Like I said already, the new ones have much lower towing capacity (unfortunately)

2006 2.5 XE Automatic. Imported from UK. (cant remember anymore if capacity is 2.5t or 2.8t but its big)

Edit wrong on both counts, it has 3.5 tonne braked towing weight. http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/kia/sorento/station-wagon-2003/35069/

Edit appears I am wrong again this link says 2.8t. http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/kia/sorento/station-wagon-2003/24886/

So to summarise, I dont know but enough to pull a box.

In fairness your Sorrento looks like it has more than enough capacity but a bit out of my bracket - was looking at older models and they just dont have the power.

Thanks for the advice - it'd looking like a Landcruiser but I am happy to go down this route for the reliability

The Sorentos only came into production in 2004 and they all had a high towing capacity until 2012. I would recommend them anyway and you can pick up one now for well under 5 grand.

In fairness your Sorrento looks like it has more than enough capacity but a bit out of my bracket - was looking at older models and they just dont have the power.

Thanks for the advice - it'd looking like a Landcruiser but I am happy to go down this route for the reliability

I don't know where you are getting the info that they don't have the power?
    They are all 2.4 diesels!!!

loads on here for your budget.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/results?searchsource=finder&nParam=4294910708%2B322%2B285&channel=CARS#nParam%3D4294910708%252B322%252B285%252B200590%26sortby%3DMake%7C0%26channel%3DCARS%26currency%3DEUROS%26searchResultsView%3DTHUMBNAIL%26maxrows%3D10%26page%3D2

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

lyoness wrote: »

there was an engine change in the middle. The newer one had an extra 30bhp

The Sorentos only came into production in 2004 and they all had a high towing capacity until 2012. I would recommend them anyway and you can pick up one now for well under 5 grand.

I agree with Fits, the earlier 2.5 Sorento's were excellent tow vehicles. They changed over to the 2.2 diesel engine - same as Freelander II engine and the tow weight reduced to 2500kg (braked)

You must be able to pick up an 03 Sorento for your budget??

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭M25

Would anyone recommend a Pajero? I've heard they are bad on petrol/ diesel?

I need to tow a capacity of 2500kg and I need to use the jeep for everyday things like going to work etc... Max budget is 5000, I will be trading in my car which I'm hoping to get 5000 for it.

The Landcruisers are above my budget unless I go with a low year, is there any point in going for a older year in the Landcruiser? I currently have a 08 Seat Ibiza.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Pajeros are a good reliable jeep ime.
    If you can find an affordable land cruiser with lowish mileage that was looked after reasonably well I could see no reason not to buy one, very reliable, capable machine. Only thing is they are animals on juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭M25

Which one do you think would drink less juice? Landcruiser or Pajero?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

I'd be willing to bet that the difference would be minimal between them.

Cruiser might have a slightly better reputation for reliability.

If you've narrowed it down to these two models, my advice is to drive both and figure out which you prefer.

Advertisement