Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting 1st years to draw pictures

• 10-12-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

anybody get 1st years to draw pictures if your subject isn't art. I was thinking it might be nice this year for Christmas to get them and draw something for Christmas and a little slogan with it.

does the teacher normally supply the markers colouring pencils etc or could the students be trusted to bring them in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

mengele wrote: »
    anybody get 1st years to draw pictures if your subject isn't art. I was thinking it might be nice this year for Christmas to get them and draw something for Christmas and a little slogan with it.

does the teacher normally supply the markers colouring pencils etc or could the students be trusted to bring them in?

Yup have gotten many year groups to do "artwork" - always related to my subject area though. If you teach a language you could get them to do the greetings in that language. If it's geography do the Greetings in the various European languages and super impose them on a map of Europe. Include pics from the eastern European Xmas markets. They're beautiful. or history could they do something around the story of silent night.
    There's loads you could do.

Re the markers I generally find 1st year have their own but other year groups rarely do. If you give them out be particular about getting go them back. A) the cost adds up and b) I had a **** [student] who once swiped a black marker from a pack and went and wrote on every whiteboard he came across for the rest of the day. :-(

To set the mood put on some songs / mmusic and throw up a lighting candle or fire or something on the white board with the projector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

Maybe check that every other teacher isn't doing this as well.

And that it is actually accomplishing something useful towards your subject.

Yeah, I know - bah, humbug! But imagine what it could be like for the students - days/weeks of different classes with drawing, Christmas music, videos and films, carol practice, Christmas play practice etc. Fine for an afternoon maybe but it could be very boring and discouraging if there was much of it - as well as time-wasting curriculum-wise. Remember they have religion classes too that may have the same idea. Co-ordination might be a good idea.

First years, too, are not small children. They've been used to being king-pins in primary school, often helping the teachers run the place as prefects etc. Then sometimes they're treated like babies again when they come to secondary school and it puts them off.

(And by the way, I'm not sure how stories of silent night could be useful in a history lesson?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think the silent night thing was sung by german and british troops in a cease fire during christmas in the trenches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Pwpane wrote: »

First years, too, are not small children. They've been used to being king-pins in primary school, often helping the teachers run the place as prefects etc.

I don't know any primary school that has prefects/has this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ya check if the other teachers are doing the same.

One year the TY's ended up watching 6 dvd's in one day!
    It went down in history as "shur all we ever did in TY was watch DVD's".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For History they could do cards in the style of those sent from the trenches during WWI (allowing that WWI isn't actually on the syllabus for standard History, though of course it should be). They could do the same for ESS, where WWI is on the syllabus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

spurious wrote: »
    For History they could do cards in the style of those sent from the trenches during WWI (allowing that WWI isn't actually on the syllabus for standard History, though of course it should be). They could do the same for ESS, where WWI is on the syllabus.

why is everyone mentioning history? I actually meant to say it was for irish I wanted to do it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

mengele wrote: »
    why is everyone mentioning history? I actually meant to say it was for irish I wanted to do it

I was just suggesting other vuisual things you could do in non-Art classes - didn't realise you only wanted it for Irish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

For Irish, I'd use some of the seomraranga.com quizzes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

Armelodie wrote: »
    ya check if the other teachers are doing the same.

One year the TY's ended up watching 6 dvd's in one day!
    It went down in history as "shur all we ever did in TY was watch DVD's".
    It can happen.

These kind of things (drawing, videos etc) can be useful in lots of topics in lots of subjects. It does draw (sorry) the matter out, though, so is better done only occasionally. Otherwise the students get fed up and the parents get fed up - why bother going to all the trouble of getting up and dressed and into school only for teacher A to have them drawing, B to show a video, C to have a 'fun' quiz, D to have a party because they were so good all year, E to take them out of class for carol-singing practice etc. If teacher F actually teaches them full class, the students and parents get mad at him as some of them miss the class because they didn't bother to come in.

I know the tests have to be corrected and it is Christmas, but just mind as you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Pwpane wrote: »
    It can happen.

These kind of things (drawing, videos etc) can be useful in lots of topics in lots of subjects. It does draw (sorry) the matter out, though, so is better done only occasionally. Otherwise the students get fed up and the parents get fed up - why bother going to all the trouble of getting up and dressed and into school only for teacher A to have them drawing, B to show a video, C to have a 'fun' quiz, D to have a party because they were so good all year, E to take them out of class for carol-singing practice etc. If teacher F actually teaches them full class, the students and parents get mad at him as some of them miss the class because they didn't bother to come in.

I know the tests have to be corrected and it is Christmas, but just mind as you go.

Haha that'd be me 😮😃
    I do artwork etc when it's relevant and have a stash of quizlets, games, crosswords etc for days half the class is out at a match or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

I think its important they see that there's a learning in it. For some its seen as "sir is on the doss cos its nearly the holidays".
    Also worth wondering does Christmas apply to every student?. Lots of classes now, even in "catholic" schools have a few atheists , the odd Muslim , Jehovah witness or eastern Orthodox.

Advertisement