Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Randi million dollors

Options
  • 29-09-2014 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

The James Randi Educational Foundation will pay US$1,000,000 (One Million US Dollars) ("The Prize") to any person who demonstrates any psychic, supernatural, or paranormal ability under satisfactory observation

Anyone know if this prize still remains unclaimed... I suspect it is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 brucy

The James Randi Educational Foundation will pay US$1,000,000 (One Million US Dollars) ("The Prize") to any person who demonstrates any psychic, supernatural, or paranormal ability under satisfactory observation. Such demonstration must take place under the rules and limitations described in this document. An applicant can be from or in any part of the world. Gender, race, and educational background are not factors for acceptance. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and legally able to enter into binding agreements....

This has been running since 1964 and is still of course unclaimed..funny that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

been done to death that one. As usual 'paranormal' in this case means 'flakey fake mediums'. we all know they exist, so theres nothing new there. otherwise, though how can you make a ghost show up on que? Answer: you cant, ergo mr randis money is quite safe and doesnt prove or disprove anything.

not really very funny. stupid maybe, funny - no not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

The amazing Randi - some of his debunks are pure comedy. He nailed a few people live on air. There are great ones on youtube, but this is probably his crowning achievement

brucy wrote: »
    The James Randi Educational Foundation will pay US$1,000,000 (One Million US Dollars) ("The Prize") to any person who demonstrates any psychic, supernatural, or paranormal ability under satisfactory observation

Anyone know if this prize still remains unclaimed... I suspect it is

Take Global warming you have 2 sets of Scientists.

One set are saying global warming is real and the other set is saying its not real. Both have evidence to support their claims, yet we still dont know what the truth is.

Now i can start the Dre as in Dray foundation and offer 1 million Dollars to somebody to prove to me that Global Warming is not real (or real) I feel confident which either side i pick, I wont have to pay that 1 million Dollars. As no evidence will be conclusive enough.

Then i can write a book about it, go on TV shows and talk about it, build up my following, get booked for talks. Build up more followers. Write more books. Look for more easy targets i can discredit in public in order to build myself up, so i can write more books.

• Advertisement

Then i can write a book about it, go on TV shows and talk about it, build up my following, get booked for talks. Build up more followers. Write more books. Look for more easy targets i can discredit in public in order to build myself up, so i can write more books.

then get all your fans to call themselves 'critical thinkers' even though they are as bad as followers of mediums who put blind faith into a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

One set are saying global warming is real and the other set is saying its not real. Both have evidence to support their claims, yet we still dont know what the truth is.
    Not really. An overwhelming proportion of peer-reviewed and reputable climate scientists agree that the available evidence for accelerated climate change is compelling. A small cadre of nutjobs dispute this, for whatever reason (vested interest, anybody...? Simply contrarian?). Nothing new here of course. There will always be nutjobs happy to fly in the face of reality. In the case of Randi's reasonable and straightforward challenge, there simply hasn't yet been a nutjob who could demonstrate, verify, and repeat their nutty claim. None, in fact, who could even complete step one: demonstrate. I must admit though, It'd be cool if they could. They can't though, so I'll enjoy my magical thinking through the tried and trusted medium of fiction.

You picked a bad analogy, and you should feel bad.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

One side is a teeny, tiny minority of cranks with no evidence and a lot of religious bias, the other side is the scientific community with an overwhelming body of evidence.

So, yes, it works perfectly well as an analogy for those who believe in magic and those who don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

I am having a deja vu moment now, feels like I just read a thread about James Randi….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

James Randi is a git in my view

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Two threads merged as one. Just. Like. Magic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Oryx wrote: »
    Two threads merged as one. Just. Like. Magic. :)

Not magic. Simple condensation.

There's ways an explanation!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Missed out on your million dollars there Oryx :P

endacl wrote: »
    Not really. An overwhelming proportion of peer-reviewed and reputable climate scientists agree that the available evidence for accelerated climate change is compelling.

Its compelling yet no proof, they are not getting the 1 million dollars.

See how it works :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37 amorphous

It can never be won because the Randi has no proof he has a million.

Zillah wrote: »
    One side is a teeny, tiny minority of cranks with no evidence and a lot of religious bias, the other side is the scientific community with an overwhelming body of evidence.

So, yes, it works perfectly well as an analogy for those who believe in magic and those who don't.

The point of the analogy was that 2 arguments both backed by sciences cant deliver proof of global warming. But that went over your head.

Although a minority of cranks Vs scientific community being lead by a magician sounds fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The point of the analogy was that 2 arguments both backed by sciences cant deliver proof of global warming. But that went over your head.

Doesn't the same rationale lead you to conclude that scientists can't deliver proof of heliocentricity/gravity/whatever?

Dave! wrote: »
    Doesn't the same rationale lead you to conclude that scientists can't deliver proof of heliocentricity/gravity/whatever?

Cant deliver something to somebody if they are not willing to accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Dave! wrote: »

Eh....not sure if you are serious or not....but science is based on knowledge gained from experimentation and repeated results. They are termed theories otherwise.

I applaud Randi. I hate it when people believe in paranormal/mediums whatever. Completely retarded.

Eh....not sure if you are serious or not....but science is based on knowledge gained from experimentation and repeated results. They are termed theories otherwise.

I applaud Randi. I hate it when people believe in paranormal/mediums whatever. Completely retarded.

What did Randi discover through science ?

• Advertisement

what has Randi ever done bar 'exposing' a few celebrity mediums that everyone knew were fake anyway? I note he avoids anything that isnt about mediums and psychics - the low lying fruit of the paranormal world.

He has though built up a following of self professed 'critical thinkers' who buy his books, feed off his every word and pay into his conferences. He must have learned those tricks off the mediums.

maccored wrote: »
    what has Randi ever done bar 'exposing' a few celebrity mediums that everyone knew were fake anyway? I note he avoids anything that isnt about mediums and psychics - the low lying fruit of the paranormal world.

He has though built up a following of self professed 'critical thinkers' who buy his books, feed off his every word and pay into his conferences. He must have learned those tricks off the mediums.

He really jumped all over the cold reading theory as if he came up with it himself. Its funny how not once in a 20 year span during the 80s and 90s has he used cold reading as an explanation for a psychic reading.

Back then it was about "leading the subject" asking more questions then the subject is answering.

Advertisement