Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lead punt coin

Options
  • 25-03-2015 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi just wondering if anyone has heard of lead punt coin. I came across it a few years back. It's definitely made of a softer metal - easily marked, sounds and feels different. Looks exactly the same except a little bit duller.

Wanted to know if its worth anything or just interesting to keep in a collection?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Most likely a contemporary forgery made from a cast when the Punt coin first came out. Intended to be passed over the counters as the real thing at the time. I have a few myself and remember seeing them back then too. They may even have worked in vending machines at the time that only worked by the size of the coin, unlike now where they detect the weight and even magnetic qualities. Incidentally I think even the old pre decimal pennies passed in machines as Punt coins in those days.

As regards value, not a whole lot, you might get a tenner for it from a curious collector, but you should probably just hang on to it like I do with all forgeries or errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jdunne1011

Thought as much. Will hold onto it just to have in the collection.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Blade wrote: »
    Most likely a contemporary forgery made from a cast when the Punt coin first came out. Intended to be passed over the counters as the real thing at the time. I have a few myself and remember seeing them back then too. They may even have worked in vending machines at the time that only worked by the size of the coin, unlike now where they detect the weight and even magnetic qualities. Incidentally I think even the old pre decimal pennies passed in machines as Punt coins in those days.

As regards value, not a whole lot, you might get a tenner for it from a curious collector, but you should probably just hang on to it like I do with all forgeries or errors.

There was an issue around pound coins in the late nineties whereby some were not accepted in vending machines and sounded different when dropped. Forgive me but I think they were minted in ? Finland?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

There was a few that had the edge of the 10pence coin on them

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EasycomeEasygo

There was an issue around pound coins in the late nineties whereby some were not accepted in vending machines and sounded different when dropped. Forgive me but I think they were minted in ? Finland?:confused:

They were the ones minted in 1999 by the royal mint

• Advertisement
Advertisement