Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does variance change when the scale does?

Options
  • 17-02-2015 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi all. Just changing a sclae from cm to inches but not sure if that changes the standard deviation? Any help appreciated.

DH

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes it does change!

If c is a constant, and if y = c*x, then sd(y) = c * sd(x) and var(y) = c^2 * var(x)

So for example if the standard deviation of length is 5cm (var = 25 square cms) then converting it to inches would make the standard deviation 5 * 0.394 = 1.97inches (1.97^2 square inches)

Note the 'unit' of standard deviation is whatever your variables are measured in, and the 'unit' of a variance is the square of the variable units.

Wiki: Properties of Variances

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Yes it does change!

If c is a constant, and if y = c*x, then sd(y) = c * sd(x) and var(y) = c^2 * var(x)

So for example if the standard deviation of length is 5cm (var = 25 square cms) then converting it to inches would make the standard deviation 5 * 0.394 = 1.97inches (1.97^2 square inches)

Note the 'unit' of standard deviation is whatever your variables are measured in, and the 'unit' of a variance is the square of the variable units.

Wiki: Properties of Variances

Just wanted to drag this up again if it's ok. If, say, a unit of measurement changes from 142 cm to 1.42 m, does that also affect the SD?

Thanks!

DH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

If the standard deviation was 142 centimetres, then it will be 1.42 metres when you change units.

And, since the variance is the square of the standard deviation, in the case above the variance (when working in centimetres) was 20164 cm^2, and when expressed in the new units it will be 2.0164 m^2.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭TheSetMiner

Hi. a little of topic but I have a further variance related question. If I have a confidence interval for the variance, can I square root the values of this interval to obtain a confidence interval for the standard deviation?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hi. a little of topic but I have a further variance related question. If I have a confidence interval for the variance, can I square root the values of this interval to obtain a confidence interval for the standard deviation?

Yes

• Advertisement
Advertisement