Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Into the Woods - Help me with Ideas!

Options
  • 26-03-2015 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Myself and my school are considering performing a professional rendition of into the woods, however as part of our schools course we need to include around 50 children between in chorus prices.

An idea I already had was to make them be the birds that help Cinderella in a dance or something. But I need another idea! They can't all be birds.

Ideas would help so much, thanks!

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Considering Into the Woods has a narrator, you could have the setting as a storytime with him/her reading to a group of kids. They can then get involved in some of the singing as if prompted by the narrator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Why take a piece that's a non chorus show and add a chorus (I'm pretty sure Sondheim show licensing won't permit this anyway). If you want to do a fairytale consider Beauty and the Beast or Rogers and Hammerstein 's Cinderella.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nicolas_howden

athtrasna wrote: »
    Why take a piece that's a non chorus show and add a chorus (I'm pretty sure Sondheim show licensing won't permit this anyway). If you want to do a fairytale consider Beauty and the Beast or Rogers and Hammerstein 's Cinderella.

Into the woods is only one of our considerations. It's just that it's such a lovely musical and I would love to do it! But of course other musicals are being considered too.

Considering Into the Woods has a narrator, you could have the setting as a storytime with him/her reading to a group of kids. They can then get involved in some of the singing as if prompted by the narrator.

That's a great idea thanks. I will bring it up with the director and see what she thinks.

That's a great idea thanks. I will bring it up with the director and see what she thinks.

Check if the licensee will permit it before you waste the director's time. Performing licenses are quite strict anyway but exceptionally so for Sondheim shows.

• Advertisement

Is this for a concert or a full production of one show?

Check if the licensee will permit it before you waste the director's time. Performing licenses are quite strict anyway but exceptionally so for Sondheim shows.

I don't know too much about that kind of thing, any idea of where I can check the license?

Is this for a concert or a full production of one show?

What's the difference? It's a tradition in my school that we do a musical each year. Acted and sung. We usually perform it over 2 or 3 days.

Sorry I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

To perform a full production of a musical you at obtain the rights to do so. Not all musicals are available, for instance you can do a schools version of Les Miserables, but you cannot do the adult version.

I'm on mobile so I can't link to the usual companies.

To perform a full production of a musical you at obtain the rights to do so. Not all musicals are available, for instance you can do a schools version of Les Miserables, but you cannot do the adult version.

I'm on mobile so I can't link to the usual companies.

Josef Weinbergers have the rights to Into the Woods. It's illegal to perform a musical in copyright without having a licence. There is a fee involved though I believe it is significantly reduced for school performances

• Advertisement

As it happens I'm handling a license application at the moment and this is what the contract says
    The Licensee shall perform and produce the said work strictly in accordance with the score and libretto (if applicable) and any changes to the Performance(s) according to the score and where applicable the libretto will render this licence invalid unless expressly otherwise agreed in writing between the parties. The integrity of the Work shall be preserved at all times.

As it happens I'm handling a license application at the moment and this is what the contract says

Thanks. Unfortunately this will probably mean we can't preform into the woods though

This is why it's important to check out rights availability and license conditions before setting your heart on a show. For such a large cast you might be better looking for shows that offer school editions.

Advertisement