Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC software to PLC input

Options
  • 20-03-2015 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi

Hi im trying to get into the automation field and have been trying to query a few scenarios

Could anyone explain how to connect a pc (running software for a box packing assembly line ) to the input of an Allen Bradley PLC.

What would be needed to translate/convert the signal from the pc (when a task has been performed) to 24 volts etc. that a plc input would need to operate part of a conveyor (an electro pneumatic valve)

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Could anyone explain how to connect a pc (running software for a box packing assembly line ) to the input of an Allen Bradley PLC.

More information is needed to answer your question.
    What software are you trying to connect? Who wrote it? Is it a SCADA package? Maybe a C# program that some person wrote in an afternoon?
    What would be needed to translate/convert the signal from the pc (when a task has been performed) to 24 volts etc. that a plc input would need to operate part of a conveyor (an electro pneumatic valve)

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

Generally some form of serial link would be used:-
    RS232, RS485, Modbus, Ethernet, CAN to name just a few. It will depend on what interface is in your PLC and what interface your software was written to work with.

The more correct way to connect a PLC to PC application these days is to use an OPC server and run it over Ethernet from both PC and PLC. But your system could of been designed 20 years ago and might not use anything like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

More information is needed to answer your question.
    What software are you trying to connect? Who wrote it? Is it a SCADA package? Maybe a C# program that some person wrote in an afternoon?

Generally some form of serial link would be used:-
    RS232, RS485, Modbus, Ethernet, CAN to name just a few. It will depend on what interface is in your PLC and what interface your software was written to work with.

The more correct way to connect a PLC to PC application these days is to use an OPC server and run it over Ethernet from both PC and PLC. But your system could of been designed 20 years ago and might not use anything like this.

Thanks for your response

There is a black cable coming from the pc (running software that releases a pneumatic blade when the correct Barcode has been scanned) to a junction box (which also has a power cable connected)

The black cable then good on to an allen Bradley pico plc

I do not know what is in the junction box and don't have any body to ask questions atm

This is all curiosity on my behalf, trying to understand automation as i go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thanks for your response

There is a black cable coming from the pc (running software that releases a pneumatic blade when the correct Barcode has been scanned) to a junction box (which also has a power cable connected)

The black cable then good on to an allen Bradley pico plc

I do not know what is in the junction box and don't have any body to ask questions atm

This is all curiosity on my behalf, trying to understand automation as i go

What port is the black cable plugged into the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

First off, the PLC is what controls the electro-pneumatic valve (aka solenoid valve).

The PLC program is what runs the box packing assembly line. You need Allen-Bradley software to make any edits to the PLC's program. Look up their website (here) for more info.

Sounds like you have a PC application running the bar code scanner, etc. This is communicating to the PLC, probably via a serial cable.

If I was you, I'd go looking for a wiring diagram before going any further.

Advertisement