Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Development in LIT

Options
  • 17-01-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,

Just want to know if anyone here did this course in LIT and would ye be able to tell about it. I love computers and I love building websites from straight HTML. The maths are scaring me a bit as I did not do maths in two years. I am in the middle of a fetac lvl 5 course.

Is it a hard course
    Are the Maths demanding
    Is there many people in the course in year 1
    Are ye mixed with any other courses for different modules.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 harajukubarbie

AppleKidd wrote: »
    Hi,

Just want to know if anyone here did this course in LIT and would ye be able to tell about it. I love computers and I love building websites from straight HTML. The maths are scaring me a bit as I did not do maths in two years. I am in the middle of a fetac lvl 5 course.

Is it a hard course
    Are the Maths demanding
    AppleKidd wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it a hard course
    Are the Maths demanding

Heya,
    I'm just coming to the end of my first year of this course.The maths module isn't too demanding. I'd say like Leaving Cert ordinary level standard. Each topic starts from the basics as there are some students there who haven't done maths in years or never went to secondary school. You'll have little quizzes based on each topic throughout the year so that really helps to pick up marks. Unless you don't attend, I can't see why anyone couldn't pass. I had a B1 in foundation and I'm a B student in maths.

There is maths involved in pretty much every module. First year of programming is mostly solving simple problems which require basic maths. There is also a little bit of maths in the computer systems and operating systems module, but nothing too major.

If you enjoy HTML already, then you'll like web development. This is only thought in first year for software development though. If you are more interested in Internet stuff, Internet systems might suit you better.

It is a tough enough course in my opinion. The hardest for me is computer systems, awful lot of theory and not as much hands on stuff which I prefer. All in all though, if you have an interest in it, and make sure to attend you'll be grand. Attendance is really important because a lot of marks go for continuous assessment and if you aren't in you won't know when didn't assessments and assignments are coming up.

There is about 48 students in first year, split into two groups. Most modules are a mixture of lectures and lab classes. Lectures take place in the lecture halls and you'll be mixed with the other software group as well as other IT first year courses depending on the module. In the lab classes which take place in a computer room, you will be with your core group only. Of about 24.

Hope that helped a bit, PM me if you have any questions about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭chocolate boy123

What is the workload like? Thanks!

Advertisement