Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is adsl.ie gone to?

Options
  • 06-08-2002 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

The site disappeared last week, might have something to do with rewriting the text to include the new (smaller capped,lower speed) residential product. Or maybe they are revising all their ADSL prices downwards.... :p

viking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by viking
    might have something to do with rewriting the text to include the new (smaller capped,lower speed) residential product.

Have they lost the plot completely?

(Even) Smaller cap?? For F**ks sake!! Lower Speed?

Can I quote Soula Evans now?

"I would love DSL to take off"

Well Ms.Evans (and the rest of ye vultures that be known as EirCon) ... would you kindly put your money were your mouth is and actually APPEAR to want it to take off?

Or maybe they are revising all their ADSL prices downwards.... :p

HA!! Not bloody likely! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

HA HA HA HA HA LOL LOL

the ADSL.ie in ireland SAYS

this page is currently unavailable-- SPEAKS VOLUMES!!!

god this has just made my day -- ADSL is currently unavailale!!!

I swear to god .. this is so farcical its turning into a greek tragedy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

this is so farcical its turning into a greek tragedy.

My, awen't we posh.

adam

dont know greek...but...

TO BE OR NOT TO BE...THAT IS THE QUESTION!!!

• Advertisement

Feck off adam, old chap :p:D

Fallschirmjager .... greek tragedy ...

body count = the entire cast bar about 1 person ;)

LOL

is that not known as going postal!!! oh wait they ****ed that up before they left and became a telco!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by Fallschirmjager
    dont know greek...but...

TO BE OR NOT TO BE...THAT IS THE QUESTION!!!

That's shakespeare hehe. Still though, I'd say that particular phrase speaks volumes about our situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Maybe they were forced to give up adsl.ie as it kinda gives the impression that they are the only ones doing it.
    Ppl who are interested in ADSL would most likely go to adsl.ie and there they see only eircoms prices.
    Maybe some 1 finally copped on and forced em to take it down so that a more general adsl thing could be put up. (in interests of fair competition etc)

However this being Ireland and Eircom, the site is probably just experiencing 'problems'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Maybe they were forced to give up adsl.ie as it kinda gives the impression that they are the only ones doing it.

I think they got it "fair and square" according to iedr's rules :rolleyes: Its a "Brand Name" as their WHOIS server reports...

domain: adsl.ie
    descr: Eircom Plc
    descr: body corporate 98789
    descr: "Brand Name"
    admin-c: DW65-IEDR
    tech-c: TDI2-IEDR
    zone-c: TDI2-IEDR
    nserver: ns.irishdomains.net
    nserver: ns2.irishdomains.net
    source: IEDR

Explain that one please?

viking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I must have been mistaken, as I was under the impression I-Stream was the brand name....

Oh well - I'm clearly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by viking

I think they got it "fair and square" according to iedr's rules :rolleyes: Its a "Brand Name" as their WHOIS server reports...

Fair and square are two words that I would not associate with IEDR. The domain was granted prior to the abolition of the Generic Rule as well.

Basically it is just another dodgy IEDR decision and they have made hundreds of them.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

very strange why arent they using ther own name servers for adsl.ie

>nserver: ns.irishdomains.net
    >nserver: ns2.irishdomains.net

whois irishdomains.net

Registrant Contact-
    Irish Domains Ltd
    ID Hostmaster (hostmaster@irishdomains.com)
    +353 1 4190630
    FAX- +353 1 4190639
    Unit 21
    Western Ind. Est.
    Dublin, D12
    IE

well either way -- its still not there and when it was -- if i remember correctly -- it had a dissolving headache tablet.....LOL also a good description for adsl in ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Um, adsl isnt a brand name, its a technichal standard. Grounds for complaint possibly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It /is/ a brandname, in fact I think it's a trademark belonging to the ADSL Forum, which puts Eircom firmly in violation of the Berne Convention. This has been brought to the atention of the IEDR on several occasions, but The Bould Fagan wasn't interested. Or he'd been told not to be interested.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I have no doubt whatsoever that this was an intentional stroke on eircom's part. They couldn't register it with IEDR if it wan't a brand name. So, they pulled a fast one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

I've asked and they have told me its a technical problem (no more details available yadda yadda).

So now we all know the facts, because Eircom wouldn't lie, not to a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Um, adsl isnt a brand name, its a technichal standard. Grounds for complaint possibly?

I'd say that on a legal level, Dustaz has a fair point.

Brand name and even trademark law is littered with companies whose product was so successful it became used as a generic term for the type of product offered. Fastest examples I can offer are "aspirin" and "yo-yo" - both formerly brand names that were lost by companies through their own lethargy towards protecting the brands. In the early 1900s Kodak ran the risk of losing their brand name in the same way; Coke have prevented the same happening to them through over 7000 lawsuits to protect their rights.

WHere a court rules that a term is in such widespread use as a name for the product that it has in effect become a generic use for the name they've been quite happy to pull the ownership of the term. Obviously this mostly applies to US law as our own courts have never done this.

The term "ADSL" is a term used specifically for "asymetric digital subscriber line" The term "asymetric digital subscriber line" is a descriptive term, "ADSL" is both an abbreviation for the descriptive term and a generic term in its own right. Hence while it may be registered as a brand name, no rational court is going to allow any organisation to hijack that term for itself.

Not to say that influenced the IEDR in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by dahamsta
    It /is/ a brandname, in fact I think it's a trademark belonging to the ADSL Forum, which puts Eircom firmly in violation of the Berne Convention. This has been brought to the atention of the IEDR on several occasions.

It would be a better thing to notify the copyright/trademark owners and let them take action against IEDR and Eircom.

The other aspect has to do with the jurisdiction of the trademark. I think that Berne covers copyright rather than trademark. As for IEDR, the number of dubious domain name decisions that it has been involved in is just too long to list.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

:D not in the phone book ? lol:D

Advertisement