Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North East Broadband Project

Options
  • 09-12-2004 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

The Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources, Noel Dempsey T.D., today formally signed the contracts for the construction of six Metropolitan Area broadband Networks (MANs) in Monaghan, Cavan, Drogheda, Dundalk, Carrickmacross and Kingscourt.

Some interesting snippets from the Ministers speech :
    However, for the broadband revolution to succeed, it needs modern, high-speed infrastructure. Unfortunately, the level of investment by the telecommunications sector in recent years has failed to keep pace with the demand for broadband, and in such cases of market failure we simply cannot afford to wait. We need to stay in the game, and that is why State intervention had to happen.
    The old telephone networks cannot be relied on to deliver broadband to everyone - they are limited in capacity, speed and distance. What the broadband revolution needs is the fibre capacity that the Metropolitan Area Networks are providing - enough capacity for generations to come, with enough bandwidth to cater for every foreseeable need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

It's the same speech for the opening of each MAN and the signing of each contract. It's the same for every question he answers in the Dáil. MAN MAN MAN MAN MAN.

Unless Noel is building a MAN to my door and everyone elses' door then a MAN is not the solution for last mile access. It's part of a solution for a broadband provider who will link their POP on the MAN to my house. It still is not going to do anything for the 50% of this country who cannot get broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

The minister seems to be in complete denial and believes that 50% or more of the country can just use wireless to get broadband from these MANs.

And if you are too far away from a MAN to get wireless sure you can just use a satellite. That's the Great Vision for a Broadband Ireland.

*sigh*

Minister - I sent you emails and sent you letters - what is your solution to the last mile access problem? I'm still waiting for an answer.

And have you ever used Satellite Broadband? If you have then please stop referring to something that is worse than dial-up in terms of response times as a solution! If you can't do VOIP, video conferencing, online gaming then it is not broadband!

Do you honestly believe wireless is capable of providing the rest of the country with the high speed connections, while the rest of our european peers are using 10 Mbps ADSL connections over phonelines. That's a backward solution for a backward nation. We're already bottom of the league - do you want it to get worse?

Minisiter - what is your solution to the last mile!? Close your eyes and hope it goes away? Stick your head in the sand? Oh I know it's MAN MAN MAN MAN MAN MAN MAN ... OH MAN we're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

By the way, I'm tipping my hat to Deirdre from ElectricNews who came up with the best phrase of the year for the broadband situation in Ireland: The broadband stroll-out.

Deirdre, we're going to be using this from now and until such time as when every journo and politico is using it and the Govt realises it must do something.

Advertisement