Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2wd Yard Tractor 70hpish Suggestions as second Tractor

• 24-07-2015 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi, currently have a MF 265 as our yard tractor / second tractor on the farm. It does the smaller general works scraping, fertillizer, general tipping around. Got it done up 2 years ago with panel work tidied up doors fixed and respray to panels so looking pretty good however just feel like its now time to upgrade. the 265 is over 30 years old and would like to come up to a similar sized 2wd tractor maybe mid nineties.

However don't know what to go for and am looking for suggestions. We have always have MF's here but the obvious upgrade is a MF365 / 375 but they are crazing money and hardly worth the asking for what is essentially a 20year 2nd tractor for us. So looking for an alternative to an MF really. No dealers around very close but would have JD / MF/ NH / Zetor within an hr

What would you suggest as an alternative for a reliable 2wd simple tractor around the 70hp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

What about a ih 784 or something similar?
    You would get one pretty cheap on donedeal.

This here is about 2600 in euro

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/international-784/9590854 rough looking around the edges but would do your work by the sound of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

How much are you willing to spend....them 300 series Massey while exorbintely priced are v.simple and easily fixed yourself if your any way handy

Or an old fiat...but after a while on a yard scraper....there might be nothing left of it :pac:
    Though a latish David brown/early case (maybe 1394?) would be nice and a bit of comfort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

Saw a nice ford 6410 the other day for 6000. Maybe a little high with the super Q cab for yard work but was a lovely clean machine. A neighbour bought her after on the evening I told him that I had saw her but wasn't interested in her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

If your 265 is running as well as it looks I'd say keep it. Why trade in for a slightly newer machine with unknown history if you have a perfectly good machine now. 365 would not be much of an upgrade unless you really want one with the shuttle gearbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

emaherx wrote: »
    If your 265 is running as well as it looks I'd say keep it. Why trade in for a slightly newer machine with unknown history if you have a perfectly good machine now. 365 would not be much of an upgrade unless you really want one with the shuttle gearbox.

i agree here . the 265 were a great tractor , simple reliable cheap to keep goinh. i does what you want . Any tractors recommended here are as old as what you have got which will probably need the same work as you have done to the 265.

That said my thoughts for a replacement tractor would be jd 2650/2850/3050.
    Great tractors but are getting a bit old now as well

9935452 wrote: »
    i agree here . the 265 were a great tractor , simple reliable cheap to keep goinh. i does what you want . Any tractors recommended here are as old as what you have got which will probably need the same work as you have done to the 265.

That said my thoughts for a replacement tractor would be jd 2650/2850/3050.
    Great tractors but are getting a bit old now as well

Is a 3050 not a bit of a step up for yard work form a 265?

IH784man wrote: »
    Is a 3050 not a bit of a step up for yard work form a 265?

It would be a bit yes but still only 92hp and tidy in a 2wd.
    Better to be looking at it than for it in a tractor as well.power i mean
    i also said 2650 and 2850

It would be a bit yes but still only 92hp and tidy in a 2wd.
    Better to be looking at it than for it in a tractor as well.power i mean
    i also said 2650 and 2850

We had a 2130 out to try her out,very tidy tractor for only 6k,wasn't good enough for us but the steering was very light and was a nippy tractor in fairness.

IH784man wrote: »
    We had a 2130 out to try her out,very tidy tractor for only 6k,wasn't good enough for us but the steering was very light and was a nippy tractor in fairness.

Anyone who drives/owns them loves them. All the controls in the sg2 cab were within easy reach.
    The problem for the op is the 30 and 40 series are as old as what he has already got.
    Another option for the op would be a 8111/8211 zetor or 912 ursus which would be well affordable.
    The 8211 would have wet brakes and a fast gearbox.
    Ive a 912 ursus at home, Not the worst place to spend a day, front suspension makes it comfortable, hydraulic pto, multipower, nice tidy turning circle
    It is capable of doing an amount of work, hedge cutting , mowing with an 8ft mower, ploughing, rotavating, drawing bales with a double bale handler with a few weights on the front

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Keep the 265 bombproof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Anyone who drives/owns them loves them. All the controls in the sg2 cab were within easy reach.
    The problem for the op is the 30 and 40 series are as old as what he has already got.
    Another option for the op would be a 8111/8211 zetor or 912 ursus which would be well affordable.
    The 8211 would have wet brakes and a fast gearbox.
    Ive a 912 ursus at home, Not the worst place to spend a day, front suspension makes it comfortable, hydraulic pto, multipower, nice tidy turning circle
    It is capable of doing an amount of work, hedge cutting , mowing with an 8ft mower, ploughing, rotavating, drawing bales with a double bale handler with a few weights on the front

Are you sure the 8211 have wet brakes ? If they have, they'd be a great tractor

Are you sure the 8211 have wet brakes ? If they have, they'd be a great tractor

We had a 97 14245 that definitely had wet brakes so i am assuming the 8211 also had them.

We had a 97 14245 that definitely had wet brakes so i am assuming the 8211 also had them.

I enquired about a couple of different 8211's that were for sale a few years ago and they had the dry disc brakes. Tractor data says the same. Maybe wet brakes were an option ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Only Dry brakes on the older Zetors, like the 11 and 45 models.

Cheapish 100hp tractor that would suit any yard (as long as no low doorways) Strong lift and wet brakes. No frost worries. Sell that old Massey and put the wedge of change left over in your pocket!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tractor-/151754617836?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item235547b3ec

Ooops, just noticed you wanted something local...

http://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/international-955-2wd/9043727?offset=24

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Only Dry brakes on the older Zetors, like the 11 and 45 models.

Cheapish 100hp tractor that would suit any yard (as long as no low doorways) Strong lift and wet brakes. No frost worries. Sell that old Massey and put the wedge of change left over in your pocket!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tractor-/151754617836?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item235547b3ec

Ooops, just noticed you wanted something local...

http://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/international-955-2wd/9043727?offset=24

Our 14245 was zts and would have been one of the last of them 1997.
    She wasnt half the tractor that the 14145 we had was.
    We used to talk about the the pair of them saying the only thing you would have wanted in the 141 was the back axel with the wet brakes from the 142.

The local dealer used to do conversions at one stage as well , i believe he used parts from a ford 7000, It never took off with him.

Here is a old ad from a crowd in the north who used to do conversations.
    http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/wet-brake-service-offered.htm

Our 14245 was zts and would have been one of the last of them 1997.
    She wasnt half the tractor that the 14145 we had was.
    We used to talk about the the pair of them saying the only thing you would have wanted in the 141 was the back axel with the wet brakes from the 142.

The local dealer used to do conversions at one stage as well , i believe he used parts from a ford 7000, It never took off with him.

Here is a old ad from a crowd in the north who used to do conversations.
    http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/wet-brake-service-offered.htm

A Co. Limerick dealer ? Pm if you like. Get all parts for our old zetor from a tour man

A Co. Limerick dealer ? Pm if you like. Get all parts for our old zetor from a tour man

Yes . Whites garage. Has a savage knowledge of zetors. Carried a lot of spare parts for them as well.

Yes . Whites garage. Has a savage knowledge of zetors. Carried a lot of spare parts for them as well.

Know him well. Zetors and welger square baler genius ! From his days at morrisseys I'm told !

Know him well. Zetors and welger square baler genius ! From his days at morrisseys I'm told !

I didnt know he knew welger square balers , one to remember for the future.
    Great knowledge of zetors, he could talk you through nearly anything on the phone. The best one was when we were pulling the bell housing off a crystal. All bolts removed and she wouldnt budge. Advice from him was to get the biggest effen sledge we had and dont hold back. Sure enough 4 or 5 blows later it was off. I gave the same advice to a man 3 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

Cheers for all the replies guys much appreciated.

Had decided to keep the 265 a while back hence doing a bit of work to tidy it up but just looking at it the last while its 30 plus years now and just started to think about upgrading.

To be fair it has been an excellent workhorse I don't recall anything ever having to be done to it in the 15 years we have had it apart from yearly service and a bit of work to brakes at one stage. It starts on 1st turn so hard to fault it.

Its probably madness really in that we know what we have and could be changing for a heap of trouble.

On a slightly different note would a bob cat / skidsteer loader be an option for around the yard. I know once off concrete they are limited but for feeding, cleaning sheds & even scraping with an A frame on the scraper would they be a good option? Anyone use them?

PN14 wrote: »
    Cheers for all the replies guys much appreciated.

Had decided to keep the 265 a while back hence doing a bit of work to tidy it up but just looking at it the last while its 30 plus years now and just started to think about upgrading.

To be fair it has been an excellent workhorse I don't recall anything ever having to be done to it in the 15 years we have had it apart from yearly service and a bit of work to brakes at one stage. It starts on 1st turn so hard to fault it.

Its probably madness really in that we know what we have and could be changing for a heap of trouble.

On a slightly different note would a bob cat / skidsteer loader be an option for around the yard. I know once off concrete they are limited but for feeding, cleaning sheds & even scraping with an A frame on the scraper would they be a good option? Anyone use them?

A chap we work for uses one with a shear grab for feeding cattle. He finds it a great job. Very tidy in tight spaces. It takes up very little space itself.
    Id say they might be heavy on a scraper due to double acting rams unless there is a float position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

Would like to get a skid steer for a few days to try it out think it would suit my set up here especially early in feeding season as yard and feed area is tight when pit is full.

Something to think about. If I could get it set up to work the scraper (not much work for scraper as automatic scrapers in cubicle sheds) but there is always collection yards etc to clean. I could get rid of smaller tractor and keep loader duties away from main machine.

:) Where would be be without all these plans rattling around in the head

Advertisement