Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Like a spare tyre..

Options
  • 12-06-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

I guess i've been lucky, but a car I bought over two years ago just suffered its first puncture. When I bought it 2nd hand the dealership (generous word for them) they replaced the donut wheel with a proper wheel to sweeten the deal.

Back to the puncture I suffered today in the arse end of know where. The wheel they gave me doesn't fit the car. The holes don't match up. The wheel isn't in the best condition either, so while it gets close, it won't fit.

Its been over two years. Do I have any comeback? at least to get them to replace the wheel or give me back the wheel they took? I think I already know the answer though.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Legally you would likely have some comeback under it being fit for purpose but 1: its going to be more expensive fighting it than the cost of a wheel from a scrapyard and a preworn tyre for it and 2: they definitely won't still have the donut.

Many new cars come with a compressor and a can of tyreweld that's absolutely useless in the case of sidewall damage or a blowout, so its not like you're majorly disadvantaged compared to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissedasanewt

I rang them just to give them a chance to have their say before I make a complaint to the National Consumer Agency.

Even if they said, we've sorry. I'll ring around a few breakers yards and see if we can source you a proper wheel. Try and get a deal for you or something. But Trying to say it was my fault for 'asking' them to replace the donut wheel with a full size one. As if I'd ask them, take out that little yoke and give me some scrap metal you have lying around instead.

By the way.. after getting my Tyre fixed, fastfit were able to tell me it might be a wheel from a BMW, but it could be 20-30 years old. So even the Tyre wouldn't fit. I got my spare wheel eventually in a breakers yard on the long mile road. €60 after a dozen phones calls. But Avensis spare wheels are like hens teeth as Taxi's require a proper wheel as a spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Just so you're aware; complaining to the NCA is a bit like praying to God. I'm sure it gives people solace but it's very unlikely to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissedasanewt

What do you mean praying to god is unlikely to do anything?

Only the other day a car in the over taking lane was going slower then the cars in the middle lane and I said "Je@sus Chr1st get out of my way..." and they moved over. It doesn't work all the time though.

I will complain to the NCA because...:
    a) When I said I would complain it seemed to annoy the garage guy. When I list out the all the problems with the service I received. It doesn't make pretty reading.
    b) If they happen to get several complaints about this place it might spark an interest.

Advertisement